123abc
Years ago

West Sydney latest news

They have until 5pm tonight to sort out the money, management and other problems or they will be "kicked out of the league", the NBL said. -Channel 9

Topic #10394 | Report this topic

Keefy  
Years ago

Found this report on Foxsports about the problems the Razorbacks are facing

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21222418-23769,00.html

Reply #119419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burton said last night it was his job to enforce the rules.

Its a pity he doesn't apply that to all the rules ie salary cap

Reply #119420 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

119420 - a good point!

Reply #119422 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

or to when players elbow other playes in the nuts deliberately

Reply #119428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont think sydney should have 2 teams at all..if u look at the soccer each city has only 1 team & it works really well & it generates alot of support from the public..i say goodbye to west sydney for good..

Reply #119436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When it works, it works really well. The derby games would often be the best attended of the season, get by far the best press coverage etc. The fact that neither club nor the NBL ever leveraged it to it's full potential is of course not at all surprising, but a real shame regardless.

Let's see how Hong Kong goes in comparison...

Reply #119454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When does Hong kong join the comp??

Reply #119457 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I find all this a bit sad, really.

The Pigs made the finals in 2003-04 - that's only three years ago. Win 1 more game in that series against the Kings, and that's one title.

Having the Sixers not come out and shoot the lights out in Game Three in 01-02, and conceivably that's another title.

Would one or two of those titles have made a difference? I'm not sure, but it appears now they're pretty much a carcass - another NBL licence that's going to wind up where the others before it have ended up: where the money is.

Yes, this is the nature of professional sport nowadays, but sport exists on an emotional level for fans and throwing licences around like paper money doesn't help the NBL in its bid to gain traction IMO.

But I'll take back all of the above if a third derivation of the letters B-U-R-T-O-N somehow enters this story: you've got a Burton and a Bruton, now we just need a Butron or a Bortun to be the mysterious financial saviour or some such, and then it's just a basketball story with great names. :)

Reply #119486 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Bo I have heard that Rob Nut will be making a play for the team today.

Reply #119487 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Butron - sounds like aan animated series featuring a gay robot.

Reply #119488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, everyone stay alert for a Rob Nut in your travels. He is clearly the Chosen One.

Reply #119492 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Does it even have to be animated, thedoctor?

Let's go real life. And let's have Bruton and Burton as the other two co-stars:

"Next, on Seven: the zany antics of Burton, Bruton, and Butron in 'My Gay Robot'."

Reply #119512 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Add LeBron and you've got some tension, a reasonable subplot and possibly a worldwide audience. The rights could fund the pigs - hi ho financial solutuion. Could do an animated spin off to keep the bucks rolling in.

Reply #119513 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

""Next, on Seven: the zany antics of Burton, Bruton, and Butron in 'My Gay Robot'."

this weeks episode, "what to do when you find yourself in a nob rut"

Reply #119545 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

BO RUNT the junior man of the Hamburger clan will inherit the team on his 18th birthday .

Reply #119559 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

NBL statement on Razorbacks
Wednesday, February 14, 2007 - 02:50 PM
NBL

National Basketball League Commissioner Rick Burton issued the following statement with regards to the West Sydney Razorbacks.

"There has been a great deal of misinformation circulating within the media with regards to the West Sydney Razorbacks and their failure to sign the NBL's Commitment to Compete (CTC) form. Whilst the League office is not in the habit of commenting on media speculation, we cannot allow these inaccuracies to go unchallenged."

"All NBL teams were originally required under the Participants Agreement which governs the operation of our League to sign and submit the CTC by December 9. A decision by the NBL Board was made to extend this deadline to December 31 for all clubs. The Razorbacks failed to meet the extended deadline. I agreed to offer a furthur two-week extension until 16 January in an effort to assist the team."

"Despite emailed assurances from West Sydney that they were confident they could sign the CTC by the new deadline of 16 January, the Razorbacks failed to do so. Nor did they provide specific details to this office as to potential investors interested in supporting the club."

"The League office was left with no alternative but to issue a Default Notice as required under the Participants Agreement to the Razorbacks. This notice still gave the Razorbacks an additional 20 working days to sign the CTC."

"If West Sydney is unable to submit a completed CTC form to the League office by the latest deadline of close of business on Thursday 15 February, we will have no alternative than to advise the NBL Board that they are in Default. The Board will then have to determine what action is to be taken with regards to the Razorbacks failure to fulfil their requirements under the Participants Agreement, which they signed upon entry into the League."

"The NBL remains hopeful that the Razorbacks can fulfil their obligations under the Participants Agreement and continue to be a part of the Philips Championship. It is however imperative that we commence planning for the 2007/08 season with some clarity. The NBL is an international competition covering three countries and two continents. Creating a season schedule taking into account the incredible distances teams need to travel and the availability of stadiums cannot be delayed any further. The NBL must continue to move forward with its planning."

http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4696

-This is the interesting part...

"If West Sydney is unable to submit a completed CTC form to the League office by the latest deadline of close of business on Thursday 15 February, we will have no alternative than to advise the NBL Board that they are in Default. The Board will then have to determine what action is to be taken with regards to the Razorbacks failure to fulfil their requirements under the Participants Agreement, which they signed upon entry into the League."

Reply #119570 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They're gone.

The league is moving to bring in Asian teams and become a superleague. Not all NBL teams will be included. Some suggestions have been that the 36ers wouldn't be included, but I'm not sure.

Reply #119574 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Given the 36ers level of support, I cannot imagine even an incompetent management team would leave them out of a "super" league.

Reply #119589 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

i was actually attended the west syd v hawks game, and it was celebrated like it was there last match. It least i can say i witnessed there last win!

I agree they are gone.

Reply #119592 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

The superleague has been mooted for some time now, Adelaide always featured in those plans.

I would think if marketed (viz A-League) properly, there could be a huge following in Adelaide, with a return to consistent "full house" signs.

Reply #119617 | Report this post

Fiji  
Years ago

Dr B,

You need to spend more time listening in your English class.

Reply #119624 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Why would Asian basketball teams neccesarily mean that we'd have a full house at the Dome? Nobody would know who any of the players are for a start. Interesting experiment would be to see how the Sydney and Adelaide fans take to the Asian Champions League football games starting next month.

Reply #119631 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Hmm...I am pretty sure I said if the Superleague idea took off, and was marketed properly.....

Reply #119640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm pretty sure Libertine is asking "why would it?".

Has anything the NBL has done suggested to you that it'd be marketed "properly"?

Reply #119645 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'm also pretty sure I drew a comparison to the A-League...the old NSL had no marketing, like the NBL, but A-League is everywhere you look...it has more exposure than Lehmo and Andrew G out together.

My comment was if a new superleague, away from the NBL was to be promoted like tyhe A-League, Adelaide would have consistent full house signs again.

Reply #119647 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Pigs earn stay of execution

WEST Sydney Razorbacks have been given a three-week extension to find new financial backers and secure their future by NBL chairman Mal Hemmerling.

Full article on Fox sports here

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,21227214-23769,00.html

Reply #119653 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the Asian push is about TV dollars.

Reply #119654 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754