Isaac
Years ago

Should the three-point arc be shifted?

Interested in what people think about the idea of the three-point arc being shifted further out?

(Obviously this would impact International and local games too, but looking for the thoughts of NBL fans especially.)

Do you think it would be a good idea?

FWIW, I think it would enable better spacing of players to operate and up the entertainment potential a little.

Topic #10420 | Report this topic

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

is this a joke?

Reply #119760 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Whats the difference between our 3 point arc and the NBA? or international even?

Reply #119763 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Ben thought it had already been moved to the car park!

Reply #119769 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, the joke is going to be you at Halo tomorrow.

I'm serious.

Heard a rumour about FIBA thinking about shifting the line.

Reply #119770 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I don't mind. I would support the shift. The longer the three, the more entertaining it is.

Reply #119771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DB5,

The international 3 point line is 20 feet. The College 3 point line is 19'6". And the NBA 3 point line goes out to 23 feet but is closer at the sidelines.

Issac,

Why would it space out the floor more. If guys can make that shot they would be already shooting it?

Reply #119772 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

This would be brilliant at the Port. A chance that you could be inside the three point line but outside the court, or inside the next court. Cool.

Reply #119785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Those people are not shooting from that range because they don't have to in order to get the extra point. (Only Shane Heal makes a real habit of it.)

Shooting 3Ps at 50% is the equivalent of 66% from the field. It's an advantage and would force players further out to gain that. It would spread the floor. A defender trying to cover a three-point shooter and/or double someone in the paint would have more of a challenge. That would give more opportunities to someone shooting from range, on the fringe of the key, penetrating from outside, etc.

Reply #119787 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cheers anon..

123abc I agree with you there..Car park 3's are more entertaining..Did anyone see the shot Davidson chucked in for the Slingers last night?

Reply #119790 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Imagine that at the old Forestville court 2, where you had to pass the ball in from inside the court.

Reply #119794 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Tough words from a man whose arse i kicked to Zanzibar and back.

Off the Red Bull and switching to Focusyn just for the big battle.

Seriously, our court would need to be incraesed to NBA size to cope with a bigger arc.

I like the fact that our bigs can feel comfortable shooting from deep. The fact that guys like Ansyet and even Larry Davidson have range is great for our league

Reply #119796 | Report this post

WTF  
Years ago

Isaac
Great topic
IMO It would be the best rule which could be added to enhance the Nbl.

Spread the floor and will end up having more dunks!!!! and athletic drives at the hoop from the likes of Groves/Farley etc etc

I also think it would maybe mean more fouls midcourt so maybe an area the officials should be tight on.

Reply #119804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tell the whole story isaac, part of the three point line change is also dunks become 3 points

Reply #119818 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

I don't know that it has the effect of openning up the floor in the NBA at all. Also, the quality of jump shooters is better in the European leagues (and Europeans in the NBA) than the Americans in the NBA (the World Championships made this even more obvious).

Reply #119825 | Report this post

gun dad  
Years ago

bring it on - been dropping them from the dome car park for years

Reply #119830 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

How would it up the entertainment when most players would not even risk the 3 point shots. The odds of getting it in would be less which would impact on how many attempts would be made at it.

Reply #119831 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I would say Ed Scott would be against this rule change.....lol

He struggles to hit a 3 at the current range

Reply #119858 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Can't we leave the arc where it is and bring in the halfway 4 pointer?

Reply #119867 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Hell no.

Reply #119873 | Report this post

4th Spazzy  
Years ago

....what a about 6 points for a King James Special from the other end of the court!!! ha ha!

Reply #119876 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

i think it's a great idea but EC brings a good point, as long as players still shoot it i would like to see it. i think the charging semi-circle should be brought in aswell.

Reply #119880 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Players would adapt.

Reply #119894 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

EC - who wants to see every 2nd center standing around shooting 3's? In my opinion the style of the NBL at the moment needs improvement. 3 point shots are no where near as exciting as an aggresive drive followed by an amazing finish.

The NBA got rid of their brief fling with the shorter 3 point line, because all of a sudden every Tom, Dick and Matt Bullard were jacking up tre's, and the game suffered.

Reply #119896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't like it. Not too many juniors or abl players that could consistantly shoot well from 23 feet.

Reply #119928 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The percentage of shots made at present from outside the 3 point arc is not that fantastic. I am excited when a 3 point shot is made, but equally disappointed when they miss. By moving the 3 point arc, we'll either see less shots being taken or more shots missing. This to me would detract from the game.

Reply #120054 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

imagine the changes to the 36ers game style,during our championships we an adequate inside game but it was our depth of quality 3 point shooters which was our strength.i know were in for lineup changes but imagine our current line up trying to cope with this.we currently have no inside game and struggle with consistency outside.if it aint broke why fix it,lets leave things as they are.

Reply #120117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754