Isaac
Years ago

NBA: Players needing an opportunity

Anyone else noticed the huge opportunity handed to Steve Blake when he was traded from the Bucks to the Nuggets?

Went from averaging about 4 PPG and 2 APG in 15-18 minutes at Milwaukee to 11.3 PPG and 9.9 APG in February for the Nuggets.

That doesn't include today when he dished out 18 assists against Minnesota and had his third straight double-figure assists game in a row (some of that's thanks to Iverson's injury you'd think).

Who else in the NBA is ready to make their mark and could really benefit from a similar opportunity?

Topic #10421 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

Players can improve and get better stats depending on how much you like the coach, how friendly you are with your team mates, how the tactics work around you, your oppurtunities and the skill of the team.

Walker was a dominant player for the Hawks but isn't as good for Miami. If you're not playing aswell as you could be and want a bigger role and more playing time then move to a lower team.

Reply #119776 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

It's good to see Blake doing so well. He was never going to see alot of time in MIL, as he is a pass first point - something Terry Stotts seemingly hates (and speaking of Stotts, word is he has coached his last game for the Bucks and won't be there after Vegas).

It's hard to truly say though, how many people would've predicted Steve Blake being able to play the way he is?

Obviosly a guy like Bogut would be a pick, as he, just like Blake was, is playing in the wrong system for him in MIL. Outside of him maybe Jalen Rose, who's sitting on the end of the Phoenix bench

Reply #119786 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

While Blake has certainly improved and is probably at a level (his current stats) where I thought it would be after having a solid college career, I think his stats will go down a bit now that Carmelo is back. It is a bit of a shame but thats life in the NBA.

I think J.R Smith would be a 20 ppg player if he was in another team.

Reply #119789 | Report this post

Ben Fitz  
Years ago

Arenas need more shots.

He could be a superstar if someone would only give him the ball.

Reply #119819 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Jason Maxiell from Detroit. He is only getting about 15 mins a game, but when Rasheed is out this guy plays like a young Charles Barkley.

I think given 35-40 mins a game, he would develop a lot quicker and be a 20pt a night kind of guy.

Reply #119821 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

ESPN's the Sports Guy was always saying that Steve Blake would be great given the opportunity to run a team... This is going back several years now...

Reply #119846 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

hey BenFitz the guy gets all the shots he wants on the way to his 30ppg, i think he can ALREADY be classified as a superstar.

I think Fred Jones, played very well in the pre season and became a starter within the first 25 or so games this season, but seems to be out of favour now at the bottom of the bench.

Reply #119877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blake had a breakout season at Portland, then the Bucks snap him up and put him back on the bench down to 5 minutes a game again. It was always obvious he could play just had to get the right setting.

Look at Kapono, he may never of been more than a bit player if it weren't for injuries!

What I don't get about the NBA is that they have these guys that generally are better than the people starting in their spots but don't get any minutes, then if they play one game and score 15 points or something they suddenly get an opportunity!

Reply #119897 | Report this post

davo  
Years ago

someone like jalen rose has already shown his potential, its just that he's old now...
looking at some of the younger guys, i think gerald green from boston and danny granger from indiana are both going to be good players. both have shown flashes of this already.

Reply #119909 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I think the biggest improver this season is Jason Kapono from Miami. He's my tip for Most Improved.

Blake is a good player, he was great in Portland, sucked with the Bucks (and I'm thinking it was more Stotts not knowing how to use him) and has been great for Denver.

I've also heard that Stotts is gone. About time Larry woke up and sacked his ar$e.

The guy I'd like to see get some serious burn is Hakim Warrick.

Reply #119939 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

My tip for most improved is Monta Ellis from the Warriors.

He was drafted out of highschool and is averaging 17ppg in his second year which is pretty impressive for a highschooler.

It is always interesting to see other players step up when stars go down with injuries, or when they start getting major minutes.

Nick Collison has put up some big games for Seattle since starting at pivot.

Reply #119949 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Dennis Rodman

Reply #119958 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

I reckon a great chance for MIP is Andre Iguodala... Since Webb and Iverson are gone he has really stepped up and in not a great deal more mins upped his productions significantly across the board... He's a TD waiting to happen every night...If he keeps playing the way he has he is a big chance... And by all accounts he has developed into a team leader... I love the way the guy plays and his versatility...

Reply #120095 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:39 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754