Isaac
Years ago

Junior games cancelled for Feb 16-17

FYI:

Basketball SA has taken the decision to cancel all junior district games on Friday February 16 and Saturday February 17. This affects games at all venues, including the Dome.

This decision has been made in the best interest of the health and welfare of junior players and is inline with decisions taken by other sporting bodies. Basketball SA has also received guidance from Sport SA indicating there would be an extreme risk for injury or illness due to the extreme heat.

Semi final games will now be played on Friday February 23 and Saturday February 24 and Finals will be moved to Sunday, February 25. A detailed schedule will be released tomorrow.

Basketball SA is reviewing its current heat policy and shall provide all stakeholders this guideline within the next month.

Topic #10423 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happans if its that hot again next week? (as the weather looks like it is ogin to happan).

Reply #119828 | Report this post

Brian Fantanna  
Years ago

Semi Finals and Grand Finals all on weekend. Interesting. Hope no players get injured in the semi.

Reply #119834 | Report this post

benji  
Years ago

Brian would also be interesting if a player got heat stoke from playing when its too hot.

Damned if they do damned if they dont

Reply #119839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sooooooooooooo, someone from BSA does read the forum at least.

Reply #119841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injured in a semi? its the friggin silly season on junior basketball for gods sake!

Glad its been cancelled.

Reply #119842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At last the proactivity we have been calling for. Congratulations BSA

Reply #119844 | Report this post

Bob  
Years ago

What about the State trials to be held on the 24th and 25th February. It will be interesting!!!

Reply #119845 | Report this post

benji  
Years ago

what about aba action day on 25th February

Reply #119847 | Report this post

Moi!  
Years ago

Good decision BSA and Paul - Welcome also your new guidelines for Heat Policy.

Reply #119849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is happening with state trials ?

Reply #119855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about that I have to go shopping that day!! Some people just bitch for the sake of it.

Reply #119857 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Good point Benji.
I vote we have it at the closest pub.

Reply #119861 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

I think you'll find it will be held on the following Sunday.

Not that that would stop referees from drinking it up!

Reply #119863 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Please see state thread for details on change of venue for U/16 State trials.

Reply #119932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantastic decision from BSA.

Goes to show that maybe something is happening there.

Congrats to Arnie and Hubbard for this and to further moves.

Reply #119942 | Report this post

realist  
Years ago

How about cancelling the finals all together and awarding trophies based on the position on the ladder at the end of regular season, or maybe just have a final next week between 1st and 2nd team or is BBallSA worrying about lost revenue.
P.S. Why Dome games had to be cancelled?

Reply #119977 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I don't think it's necessarily just a money-making thing, realist.

Regardless of the fact it's "only" summer season, these teams have still worked hard to get themselves into the finals.

There is an obvious solution (playing games next Fri/Sat then GF's on Sun), so why wouldn't they do it?

Obviously it creates more work for those doing the schedule, but IMO, they've made the right decision.

My only concern is the ability to get refs anytime it's "off-peak", or not their regular reffing time. Many venues struggle for officials when they play Saturday night matches.

Of course, being grand final day, I'm sure the refs will be willing to put their hand up to do the games.

Am glad to see they're reviewing their current heat-policy which is poor at best. Hopefully something more realistic & relevant will be put in place for future seasons.

Reply #119979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dnt see why they were cancelled i mean its not like it is going to be hot at 7-8-p o lock at night

Reply #121901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

my appologies 7-8-9 o clock a night

Reply #121902 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:26 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754