Fezlington
Years ago

Pippen comeback? Great Scottie!

This appeared in the Chicago Tribune........Could he be back with Phil @ LA

It's not quite the impact of Michael Jordan's famous two-word return to basketball in 1995, but Scottie Pippen is seriously considering a comeback and hopes to play for a contending team in this season's playoffs.

Pippen, who turned 41 on Sept. 25, says he's in better condition and health than at any time in the last five years. And in the Eastern Conference, his veteran presence could change the balance of power and be a major influence in the playoffs. Or he might be the long-sought backup to relieve the pressure on the Suns' Steve Nash. The possibilities are intriguing.

Pippen will give an indication of where he is physically when he teams with the Bulls' Ben Gordon and the Chicago Sky's Candice Dupree in the "Shooting Stars" contest part as part of Saturday night's All-Star festivities.

"I'm thinking of trying to come back for the playoffs," Pippen said. "Something like the last two months of the season, somewhere I can come back and play limited minutes to start, play point forward for someone and build toward the playoffs. It's something I've been thinking about for the last three months."

Pippen last played for the Bulls in the 2003-04 season, when knee problems limited him to 23 games. He said he's considering the right situation and plans to talk to some teams and players during the weekend.

"Being out of the game, my body feels great," Pippen said, adding that his body fat is at an all-time low 5 percent and he's at his top playing weight of about 220 pounds.

"Taking this break, it feels amazing. I'm looking at somewhere I could play maybe 15 minutes. I'm not trying to be a big-money guy or anything, [just trying to] get with a team I can help in the playoffs.

"My knee is good," Pippen said. "I've been working out regularly, doing drills. I see my body like guys like Kareem (Abdul-Jabbar, who played till he was 42) and Robert Parish (who played until just short of 44). My body is lanky and flexible like theirs. That gives me some hope I can do it.

"I'm moving good. I feel pretty fast and you don't forget the game. I watch and see so many young guys who don't know how to run a team and I feel I could help someone."

Pippen wants to move into coaching and said his ideal situation would be to serve as a player-coach. He believes his experience running Phil Jackson's Bulls offense and as the leader of good Trail Blazers teams in the late 1990s gives him a step up in coaching.

The Bulls bought out Pippen's contract before the 2004-05 season. He didn't mention the Bulls as a possible destination, but he doesn't seem like a good fit with their surplus of guards and small forwards.

Perhaps there would be a spot for him if the Bulls were to trade for Pau Gasol and give up some of their forwards. Pippen remains close with Bulls general manager John Paxson and has worked with players on the team in the last few years.

There are at least two other contending Eastern Conference teams Pippen could greatly affect if he's in the shape he says he's in.

The Miami Heat has been desperate for a point guard with Jason Williams hurt and Gary Payton proving ineffective. Pippen could relieve ball-handling pressure on Dwyane Wade and work inside with Shaquille O'Neal. And he lives in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, the Cleveland Cavaliers have been desperate for a point guard. With Eric Snow benched, they're playing rookie second-rounder Daniel Gibson at the point. That leaves LeBron James to shoulder even more duties. Pippen could relieve James and get him free to operate in the open court much as he did with Jordan.

Of course, that was a long time ago. But we've seen 40-ish veterans in all sports make an impact with their knowledge and execution. It's especially vital in the playoffs with more half-court play.

Pippen, a classic point guard, played 11 seasons with the Bulls before a year in Houston and four with Portland.

After leaving Portland, Pippen played one injury-plagued season with the Bulls, averaging 5.9 points, his first season under double digits. His career averages are 16.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 5.2 assists. One of the most versatile players of his era, he played on seven All-Star teams, but 208 playoff games wore out his body. He was all-NBA seven times and all-defense 10 times. He played for two winning Olympic teams and was voted one of the 50 greatest players of all time.

Denver Nuggets coach George Karl this week talked about needing a point guard and some decision-making help. Maybe the Spurs? How about a reunion with Jacksonthe Lakers have been desperate for a point guard. Back to Houston in a slower game with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming? To Minnesota to help Kevin Garnett?

There is no shortage of teams that can use a guy who has played with six championship teams and makes teammates better with his court awareness and passing. And Pippen isn't talking about long-term or taking someone's job. Just a nice add-on for a playoff run or two. Would he help any less than some 15th guy on the roster?

At the very least he has seen it all in the playoffs and would be like an extra coach on the floor.

"I'll see how this weekend turns out," Pippen said. "Maybe I'll make a mess of that shooting stars."

Probably not. He could be a heck of an addition for someone.

Topic #10438 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this for real? If he did come back, how much longer would he play for before he retires again and if he did, would he be willing to play in the d league if he wasn't up to scratch?

Reply #120071 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Lets bring him to Adelaide, screw his age he could still dominate here, and heck lets get him to ask Jordan, surely they are good friends and Phils gonna be in America anyway!!!!

Reply #120083 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i hope he stays out, its kinda sad to see these great players try and go again. He very well may be good enought still but it could also turn out like mj's 3 stint which was not great. Their ledgend is so high why risk that.

Reply #120092 | Report this post

Johnny Sack  
Years ago

Don't do it Pipp!... You retired once, you have left your legacy - don't debase it with a tawdry comeback...

Reply #120099 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

He'll do it and he will do it well. Unlike Jordan, Pippen was never known to score 40+ on any given night. So there is no pressure on him to be the main man. If he wants to do it, go ahead and do it I say. Can only get that pay check once a lifetime! Also he is smart enough to pick a championship contender, not like Jordan could entice him to become a Bobcat.

Reply #120102 | Report this post

jimmy de bas  
Years ago

A classic point guard?? Right.

Reply #120105 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

I think he could easily still offer a team avgs of around 10ppg, 4-5 reb and 3-4 assists a game

Hell, he can bring that to LA

Reply #120142 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Anyone see Kemp race the umpire?

Kemp 44

Umpire 67

If he can beat someone of 67 years old then surely he can comeback to basketball by playing with the Sixers. Atleast he trys! (As witnessed in the all*star game)

Reply #120177 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

It was Charles Barkley who raced the umpire!

Reply #120192 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

The only thing Kemp is racing at the moment is the Dunkin Donuts mascot and his baby' (11 of them?) momma's !!

Reply #120217 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Excuse the mistake.

Reply #120333 | Report this post

Zeb Nickli  
Years ago

Reading alot of the comments suggesting that he stay well away from the return which I contest and support him coming back & as he said not to be the main dude on the team which would also be arrogant of him to thnk he could still be that but offer leadership and his experience which would only benifit any team in any situation. I support this and if he were to go to the Lakers, San Antonio &/or Detroit he would be the difference & anyone of these teams that would hyperthetically have him would win.

Reply #180978 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:37 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754