Anonymous
Years ago

Time to grow up and dump 'Adelaide'

South Australians appear to have a massive inferiority complex and cling to sporting titles that always include South Australia or Adelaide in it. Whilst most states do greater and lesser extent, a sign of maturity is developing a tag that you can market and is a stand alone. Cities that boast more than one sporting team need to ditch such a reliance which in some part explains the depression when an "Adelaide team" loses, how it plunges a state into mourning.
The Lightning is more stand alone than the 36 ers which refers to SA's genesis and with the advent of multiple teams becoming a reality in each city maybe its time to stand more on ability and less on State and Capital names. Lets scrap the Adelaide in Lightning and grow up!

Topic #10458 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

So Melbourne Tigers, Sydney Kings, Melbourne Victory, Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, Brisbane Broncos, LA Lakers, Manchester United, New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Real Madrid etc. should all change their names as well? Tosser.

Reply #120226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, dont I dont buy into this post at all.

Reply #120227 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure what you're suggesting. Both the 36ers and Lightning are identifiable as standalone brands for many people.

Reply #120228 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

You do know who Colonel William Light is? Don't you, I guess it must be true that the Adelaide Lightning get there name from the lightning from the sky.

Adelaide lightning are a stand alone team, what the fuck is your point.

Muppet.

Reply #120239 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

MW has new competition for Forum Grouch!

Jimmy, relax!

Reply #120240 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Isaac, Frankie says 'Relax'

Jimmy just loves basketball.

Reply #120241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try to figure the meaning behind this post guys. Winning teams include the full title but when they lose they become the Lakers or the broncos or whatever, ever considered why?
True Issac, both are stand alones, if by accident, but they carry a huge weight of expectations when walloped with Adelaide this and that and their 36 and Lightning tags are glued to that inferiority complex. We wouldn't dream of being original.
Jimmy IMO, more people associate it with the power of Lightning than with an architect but it illustrates the point that we have to be branded Adelaide or SA to give us grunt.

Reply #120256 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

I fail to see the point of this topic .
Has someone got some Uni homework and they need advice?

" Try to figure the meaning behind this post guys. Winning teams include the full title but when they lose they become the Lakers or the broncos or whatever, ever considered why? "
-- what a load of crap !

Umm.. i have lived in LA and people over there have always called them the LAKERS. So what is your point?
AFAIK they dont cease to be LA Lakers because SHAQ left town and they havent won a 'ship for a while.

Reply #120274 | Report this post

skink  
Years ago

Did you start this post butcher of the 5 burrows
it sounds like something you would dribble

Reply #120276 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Supporters of a team need something to identify with when choosing to support a team. Surely the most logical and sensible thing to identify by is a geographical location?

Adelaide is a fairly sensible geographical location from a team from Adelaide. Anything more specific tends be more exclusive (for instance, how many people from Gawler support South Adelaide etc).

Trying to think of any examples where geographical representations aren't used. V8 Supercarsz? (where it is Ford v Holden) Even then, you know which drivers are Kiwi's. Maybe Pro-Wrestling (if you can call that a sport). That's about it.

Very very strange idea anon. Hope it catches on for your new team.

Reply #120295 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

From the older days, the 36ers are actually a fairly well known name. You will be surprised with how many people i have talked to that don't know anything about the NBL or basketball except for the name '36ers'

Changing Adelaide's name is like saying that Michael Jordon was the worst player to every step onto a court.

It's just plain ridiculous.

Reply #120332 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

i understand some things here - we have had a culture of 'Adelaide's own" teams

but nothing is further from the truth - they are all run as business' and thats about where it stops

too much wheeling and dealing done nowdays for a team to be a real hometown favourite

Reply #120342 | Report this post

Bully  
Years ago

123abc i dunno who this Michael Jordon person is cos ive only ever heard of Michael JORDAN. Sorry but at least spell the greatest player in historys name right

Reply #120362 | Report this post

Call It  
Years ago

Some have laid claim to the stupidest post ever, but I recon (#10458)has to be close.

Reply #120371 | Report this post

lightbub  
Years ago

Vince has openly said he looked dropping the "Adelaide" tag and try for a more overall SA approch with the team name, cant see him doing it however

Reply #120402 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

You mean we HAD a culture of Adelaide's own team.

Now all we have is 'Adelaide's purchased teams'

Reply #120428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C'mon Isaac, you still at me about being a grouch? lol

Reply #120430 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

That was my post above BTW

Reply #120432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:07 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754