Isaac
Years ago

Bullets vs Kings (spoiler)

Game 1 of their series goes to the Bullets, 91-84.

Ere led all scorers with 22 while Dusty had 16.

The Kings got 19 and 13 from Hinder (in form), 19 from Scott and 18 and 9 from Worthington (having a decent season), but were pretty average after that - just 10 minutes from their other import Beasley, 3 points from Smith, and 1 assists/4 turnovers from Kendall.

Kings were 38% from the field to the Bullets' 46%.

Crowd was 5,388 which is OK for the Bullets in an alternate venue.

Topic #10477 | Report this topic

EC  
Years ago

Isaac, do you think an alternate venue would have an impact on the crowd? Boondall is less than 20kms north of Brisbane. I woud think that anyone who was interested in going would not have been detracted by the change of venue. It would have concerned me more from the player's point of view that they are not as familiar with that venue.

Reply #120541 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

EC - could be transport issues on a weeknight.

The Brisbane Convention Centre is right in the heart of gthe city (for the uninitiated) and easy for people to get to after work.

To put it in Adelaide terms, they moved the game from the CDB to somewhere around the Salisbury or Reynella area...I think that would have a big impact.

Reply #120543 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

watching the game looked as is boy george is finally loosing patience with smith , well before the tech as well, shaking his head almost every time smith made a shot and you could see the steam rising everytime smith opened his mouth,

the serve after the technical was gold to hear on fox

Reply #120544 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yogee, exactly.

EC, it wouldn't impact die-hards but could change things for others. Not saying that it would've meant a 2,000 person difference in attendance, but that it was a healthy crowd for Brisbane given that they weren't playing at their usual spot.

For others who haven't been to a game in Brisbane (it's the only city outside of Adelaide I've seen NBL), the venue is very well located - walking distance from the CBD if you don't mind a stroll and convenient to restaurants and more for after the game.

Reply #120546 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Paper today says that that was the largest home crowd to any Bullets game in 11 years. If so, I don't think the venue change caused any problems.

Reply #120553 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

EC - The venue change stopped me going to the game. I may look at tickets to the Grand Final series but Boondal is a pain in the arse to get to for me.

In saying that it appears the correct decision was made and the crowd has supported it!

Reply #120563 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

It is all relative Isaac, Boondall is within walking distance from the CBD, only a little further.....

Reply #120569 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Ha - nice call Sturty.....

If I start walking now I should be there by tip off on GF night!

Reply #120590 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Most of the people going to Brisbane games are Brisbane residents and most would drive. For those who can't drive, the train departs from the city every 30 minutes and takes about 40 minutes to Boondall Station. The station is 550 metres from the Entertainment Centre (5 minute walk). I've looked at the timetables because I am making the trip for the finals. Yogee, as for the difference in drive between the city and Salisbury or Reynella, I do this distance every day to and from work.

Reply #120680 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Correction to above, Central Station to Boondall is 24 minutes.

Reply #120681 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

My point remains: EC, it wouldn't impact die-hards but could change things for others.

Take ABA for example - I am a lot more likely to go to a game at Pasadena or Wayville than I am one at Starplex or Hillcrest or Morphett Vale.

I would be more likely to attend a Lightning game at Wayville, but not necessarily so at the Dome (I follow the Lightning, but not to the same extent as with the 36ers).

Reply #120687 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Isaac I agree on all your above points except for the fact that we are talking about finals NBL not ABA or Lightning. Just the general attendance figures of these two groups tells you that people are not going to go out of their way for it. The reason for changing the venue to Boondall was to accommodate larger numbers. The increase in numbers in Tuesday's first semi suggests that more people want to go and therefore it was a good move. If Brisbane make the grand final and it does seem likely, there will even more people wanting to attend. Why not? its the cream on the cake of the regular season.

Reply #120694 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

EC

To help Isaac and others make their point try this hypothetical.

Maybe 10,000 people want to go to a Brisbane game. Of that 10,000 only 3,500 can fit into the Convention Centre so 6,500 simply miss out.

Brisbane move to Boondall and of the 10,000 interested only 5,388 go because the other 4,612 decide it's too far to travel.

Just because they got more people to that game I don't think its accurate to suggest the location of the game had no affect on the possible crowd size.

That being said I would think Brisbane would be better off playing in front of 5,000+ at Boondall then 3,500 in the city.

Reply #120701 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Consistency and accessibility are the issues I'm trying to get across.

EC, ABA, WNBL, NBL - irrelevant - I'm saying that the location of the venue can impact crowds. Getting a crowd of that size to a harder-to-get-to and different venue is a decent achievement.

Reply #120703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they're getting close to 6K for a semi, they should get about 8K to GF games, which is a great result for the NBL in it's 2007 state.

Reply #120744 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Clark, I look at it differently. Boondall has a capacity of 10,000 but nowhere did I see an indication that this many people wanted to go. However the number attended at Boondall is greater than the capacity of the Convention Centre. This means people were not turned away.

Reply #120824 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754