Isaac
Years ago

Tigers sign Westover for 10 years

Yes, 10 years.

"It's a huge commitment, but Al has given his commitment for the past (15) years, so it's payback time," Tigers majority owner Seamus McPeake said yesterday.

"He's done his job and nobody could have expected more. It took about 15 seconds to get the deal done."
"I'm living the dream here," Westover, 52, said yesterday.
Cue Smyth jokes and responses from Jimmy The Snitch in 3. 2. 1...

Topic #10479 | Report this topic

DA VOICE  
Years ago

Isaac,

No responses yet. Have the experts out there finally come to the realisation that maybe Phil is not the problem after all. Or have they run out of idiotic comments that display the level of their basketball knowledge and expertise. One lives in hope.

Reply #120565 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

WOW!!!
10 years is insane! You would think that there must some type of performance clause in that.
Has there ever been a coach in any sport signed that long?

Reply #120566 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

How is Westover signing for 10 years prove Smyth's coaching ability "Da voice"?

Reply #120568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will the nbl be around in 10 years?

Reply #120571 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Hope there's no get out clause due to inability to draw breath. Tigers could be coached by either a coffin or a tiny little urn.

Reply #120573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The great Ken Cole was given a 10-year deal with Newcastle from memory, I think around 1990, but was sacked halfway through his second or third season.

Constant losses, deteriorating health (attributed to his diabetes) and a fall-out with club management (surprise, surprise) led to the contract being terminated less than a third of the way through.

Would have loved Cole to sign for 10 years with the Sixers in 1985!!!

Reply #120581 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Skip,

Coach K of DUKE University in the US College game has a "lifetime" contract.

He makes very good money and is sponsored by American Express too - cha ching !!

Reply #120595 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

this is the most riduclous thing i have have ever seen. Why on earth would you sign Westover for 10 years, his star players have only got a few years left in them. then the time will come to see if westover can actually coach! Bloody stupid!

Reply #120614 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

I think this is evidence of thinking longer term, rather than simple knee jerk reactions. The tigers have looked around the league and decided that there arent a whole lot more better coaches than they currently have. (sounds familiar) im sure that both club and coach will have some clauses to allow a review, but at least the club, players, supporters and coach all know where they stand for the coming seasons.

I wonder if after the ten years, if the club has won 3 championships, been in the finals in 8 of the ten years...would they think it was a positive result and (excluding age, death etc) re-sign a coach with such a record?

Reply #120615 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

If you read it carefully , youll see that it is a 5 plus 5 yr contract (option).

Reply #120620 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

lets have odds for how long he will last under that contract.

I tip 5-6 years at most.

Reply #120636 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Ps. It's a bloody stupid contract.

Reply #120637 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

3 years once anstey and co retire

Reply #120641 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

the last long term contract i can remeber is when alastair lynch signed a 10 year deal to go from fitzroy to brisbane lions

Reply #120668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or hes re-signed with cairns as the article on the nbl website suggests

Reply #120686 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Okay the title is 10 years, but lets look at what it really is. It's a 5 year deal, which isnt so uncommon, didn't Phil & Breheny sign a 5 year deal at one stage?

The whole further option on contracts these days mean very little, it shows current faith from managment/club but thats about it.

Reply #120727 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754