Anonymous
Years ago

Locked: Tim Hardaway: I hate gays

Couldn't believe my eyes when I read this article online, it's actually from yesterday, and as far as I can see, it hasn't been covered on the forum.

How disappointing to see this sort of stuff from one of my idols of the 1990s, Tim Hardaway. In a fairly wide-ranging overall article, Hardaway has probably tarnished his reputation permanently with his comments, which include:

"I hate gay people," Hardaway said. "I let it be known I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States sports.

"I wouldn't want him on my team. If he was on my team, I would really distance myself from him because I don't think that's right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we're in the locker room."

Hardaway said even a gay superstar would have problem in an environment that equates being gay with weakness.

"If he were that great, something would still have to give," Hardaway said. "People would feel uncomfortable with that. Nobody in that locker room would feel comfortable with that person on your team."

Even if that is Timmy's opinion (and let's be honest, there would be a helluva lot of others out there with the same views, albeit less vocal about them), he has wrecked his reputation irreparably by getting on the front foot so verbally and aggressively.

Link to the full article:
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21257174-5006371,00.html

Topic #10483 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no room for them in male sport.

Im not homophobic, dont mind gay people much, all for them having a Gay olympic games or whatever but anyone whose played sport at descent level where you spend more than 4 days a week with your teammates, spend time in locker rooms, and physical contact in games/training would know what I mean.

Reply #120623 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Previously discussed here

Nice comment from Bill Simmons in his All-Star recap today where he says that the real victims here are the owners of Hardaway throwbacks which have just plummeted in value!

Reply #120624 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

and he had the killer cross dresser move too!

Reply #120625 | Report this post

Years ago

Oops, sorry Isaac. Jeez, how far am I behind the times. I didn't realise the topic had already been discussed and I also didn't realise the article was nearly a week old!!

Reply #120626 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

There have been some innocent caught up in this, too. Hardaway was meant to appear to sign jerseys in a sports store:

"We ordered a couple hundred jerseys, thinking he would sign them for customers," Simonson said. "Now I guess we've got to send them back."

Simonson did say that he managed to sell a couple jerseys, some of which were Hardaway's throwback Warriors version (retail price $300), to collectors seeking to profit from the controversy."

Full article:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/02/17/allstar.notebook/1.html

Reply #120652 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Carry on any further relevant discussion here.

Reply #120653 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:57 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754