Anonymous
Years ago

nh - sudanese factor - the goodness of basketball

- Could basketball be a catalyst that resolves many of the bigotness against these ppl. Personally I think they are a great, kind and beautiful people. This is more than I can say than some of our polititians.

Our game could help the issues!?!?!?!

1. The latest hot button issue: scary Sudanese people
Sophie Black writes:

While the Government reviews next year's refugee intake in consultation with various refugee groups, NGOs and advisers, the debate could be in danger of being hijacked by the sudden emergence of a new politically volatile Hansonesque issue -- the 'Sudanese factor'.

Pauline Hanson weighed in in December with an apparently random observation about African immigrants:

"We're bringing in people from South Africa at the moment.

"There's a huge amount coming into Australia who have diseases; they have got AIDS."

But just how random was that comment? Hanson's radar is pretty finely tuned on this stuff, or at least the radar of the people advising her.

Just a few days ago Hanson attended the Ballarat birthday party of her former adviser John "Kojak" Pasquarelli, reports The Ballarat Courier:

Ms Hanson raised the ire of migrant groups with comments that Muslims, Sudanese and black South Africans should be stopped from coming to Australia...

"I want to see a stop to the Sudanese and black South Africans that are flooding our country."

Which means Pasquarelli's column in the little-read Melbourne Observer takes on new significance. On February 14:

Sudanese refugees have been in the news for all the wrong reasons and suburban and rural Australians have been subjected to cruel social experiments inflicted on them by all levels of government but the blame rests with the Immigration Department. Lawyers are considering whether victims of brutal crimes may have a case for damages against the department and its minister.

And in December:

$500 million a year is being spent on re-settling thousands of Sudanese refugees brought in during 2004 and only 37% of these were medically checked  meanwhile ordinary Australians wait patiently in hospital queues and thousands of carers receive a pittance from government.

So who's listening? Well, new Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews might be. Interestingly, just one week after assuming his new portfolio, Andrews granted his first substantial interview to Lincoln Wright of The Herald Sun. Wright subsequently wrote a story entitled "LOCK OUT THESE REFUGEE THUGS."

Australia is set to drastically reduce its Sudanese refugee program this year.

With growing community concern about the behaviour of the refugees, Federal Cabinet will soon consider a proposal from Immigration Minister Kevin Andrews to reduce the intake from Horn of Africa nations.

Australia's humanitarian program has allowed thousands of Sudanese refugees to come to Australia in recent years.

But there are growing doubts about the wisdom of the decision, especially with the rise of gangs of Sudanese youths and drunk drivers.

The suggestion that Sudanese numbers are to be slashed is taking on a decidedly political bent. Especially as previous Immigration Minister Amanda Vanstone already announced in May of last year that there would be slight rebalacing of the mix for 06/07:

We will continue to resettle people in vulnerable situations from around the world, based on priority regions identified with the UNHCR, we can expect to resettle more refugees from Asia and resettlement from Africa is likely to lessen because of the ongoing repatriation of a large number of African nationals.

This announcement came after Vanstone met with women refugees from Myanmar at a UNHCR-run centre in New Delhi, where she "was struck by their plight."

Vanstone decided to provide more places in the total 13,000 refugee intake to the Karen refugees from Myanmar - hence the rebalancing.

Andrews looks set to carry over that initiative into the next year -- but is he scoring some cheap political points along the way?

Topic #10484 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

i would like to hear from Manute on this before i comment...

Reply #120634 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i have often thought they should be playing bball more. It seems they prefer soccer though, i have a friend from Uganda and he was the same. Plays ball now and is great, but he grew up with soccer as its much easier to play ie don't need as much equipment.

Reply #120688 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

The political rethoric here hasn't stopped at Hanson, Andrews, Vanstone et al has it? Maybe we should ditch all things basketball and devote our collective genius in world fecundity levels Vs ability to feed oneself as a basis for Australian immigration policy?

Just another Random idea. Have you got of my long lost inheretance that you could send me if i post you some bucks?

Reply #120690 | Report this post

MIA  
Years ago

been overseas for a while so i'm not exactly up to date. What brings this up? is there some kind of stigma against these ppl and is it JuSt sudanese or the wider african community in general?

Reply #120698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sween, those are Nigerian scams, but anyway!

MIA, there was a piece recently about Sudanese being discriminated against in the very tight rental market, and obviously Hanson piping up interstate with her ridiculous POV never helps, but other than that, I'm not aware of significant issues.

The racial issue de jour in Adelaide is of an Aboriginal gang causing trouble in some suburbs.

Reply #120702 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

There was also an article about racial prejudice recently (7:30 report?) in one of the NSW/QLD country towns (it may have been Dubbo) where there was a proposal by the Federal Government to resettle five (yes, 5) Sudanese families to the area.

The local council commissioned a report into the resourcing strain on local resources caused by such a resettlement program, the result of which was that there would be no significant further burden on Council and local amenities.

Not to be detered, the Council then commissioned a mini-referendum on the proposal to local residents, supported by a very bigoted Q&A Fact Sheet, which not surprisingly came back 60/40 against the resettlement proposal. On that basis, the Council refused the Federal Government's proposal.

The one or two Sudanese families already living in Dubbo stated that they felt that they were being persecuted, and were daily being discriminated against in the area.

One or two of the Councillors were very vocally opposed to the Council's decision and alleged that it was racially based.

All in all, further proof that racial tensions are alive and well in Australia. Also happens to be in one of the areas that would vote for the likes of Hanson.

Sorry to Dubbo if it wasn't there. Can't recall exactly which city it was, but Dubbo seems to strike a chord.

Reply #120710 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

I currently coach 4 Sudanese teenagers in my basketball squad, currently train with 3 other Sudanese adults and have spent many an ABL game watching basketball with their friends. The game has been great for people to be introduced to Sudanese people and Sudanese people to the wider community.

However I don't think Basketball is a sport full of bigots to start with, so the people who are spreading these perceptions of the Sudanese community won't change their opinion because a few guys are playing basketball.

There has been no issues of prejudice on the basketball court or around the club, but I know of some incidents which have occurred to the players away from basketball unfortunately.

Reply #120717 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

At least its a start though double clutch and you're right, there may not be any bigots within the game itself but I think a larger problem is the assimilation factor and exposing Sudanese poeple or any other foreign people really to some aspect of Ausrtalian culture will only work in their favour.

Reply #120869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It's harder to blindly write off a group if you have an association with them (e.g., basketball). As Rodney said, it shouldn't hurt.

Reply #120900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"any other foreign people really to some aspect of Ausrtalian culture will only work in their favour"

I started this thread and I think you miss my point (eventhough I didnt really explain it). Im interested in what they can do for our culture AND our game as well as what these will do for them.

Reply #120913 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Issac, There is Sudan the country and The Sudan, a North Central African region from which (not only Nigeria) scam originate. A high % of The Sudan is desert.

I am loathed to consider anything that eminated from Ms Hanson as being gospel but make the point that Sudan is nowhere near South Africa.
I do not see country of origin as being criterium for playing baketball in South Australia. Clubs atre mostly interested in numbers and can accomodate those wishing to play regardless of their skill level. Andrews wont stop them.

Reply #120922 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

my post was really in response to double clutch's but in regards to what you're saying, I would like to think that when two cultures meet in a positive environment such as basketball, it should work in both parties favour. I already looked (not in depth) at a small way in which it would help the Sudanese but for locals its exposure to a different culture, different but similar values, perspectives etc. In regards to what they can do for the game, the values of the game are universal. commmitment, dedication, sportsmanship, passion and also a degree of talent. if any individual posseses these then he or she can only have a positive impact on the game but like I said, these values are universal and apply to any group.

Reply #121092 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754