Richie Benaud
Years ago

NH - Australia's 30 greatest one-day cricketers

The 163 players who have represented Australia in limited-overs cricket have voted as Australia gets set to announce its all-time one-day international XII. The first list, a short-list of the top 30 players has been compiled.

One day dream team

I agree with the feedback below the article re the unlucky omissions of Peter Taylor, Ian Healy, Carl Rackemann, Geoff Marsh and Damien Fleming. I'd almost consider throwing Michael Clarke into that equation. He's done particularly well in one-dayers ina relatively short timespan.

Topic #10498 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Gilchrist
Budha Boon
Ponting
Jones
Border
Bevan
Symonds
Lee
Gillespie
Warne
McGrath
S Waugh

Plenty of left and right handers, spin, pace and medium options and a great fielding side

Bowlers picked on batting ability too bar McGrath.

Reply #120812 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Geoff Marsh with a strike rate of just over 50 would certainly get a gig if it were the 30 most frustratingly boring players ever to wield the willow .

Reply #120814 | Report this post

Richie Benaud  
Years ago

Not bad, Kent. I'd probably have Mark Waugh opening instead of Booney, I'd probably swap AB with Steve Waugh who seems to be your 12th man (Hussey considered closely though), and maybe Lillee in for Dizzy. Otherwise, mine would be the same as yours...

Gilchrist
M. Waugh
Ponting (VC)
Jones
S. Waugh (C)
Bevan
Symonds
Warne
Lee
Lillee
McGrath
Border (12th)

Bowling line-up:
Lillee
McGrath
Lee
Warne
S. Waugh
Symonds
M. Waugh

Reply #120815 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

I would put Hussey in instead of Bevan.

I know its early in Husseys career, but he is a better all around player than Bevan.

Bevan was great in a crisis, but if we were batting first, he struggled to find the boundary and held us back.
Hussey is good in both roles and is also a better fielder with a stronger arm..

Reply #120818 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Steve Waugh is a very very dubious decision Richie, how could you include him on the best 1 day team over Hussey?? And Lee can take his 5-6 run economy rate back to state cricket.

My 12:

M Waugh
Gilchrist
Ponting (C)
D Jones
M Hussey
A Symonds
M Bevan
S Warne (VC)
D Lillee
T Alderman
G McGrath

A good balanced attack, with McGrath and Lillee as the openers, Alderman to come in and bowl swing with the semi new ball and some reverse swing in the later overs, Warne for obvious reasons, and Symonds/M Waugh/Bevan can bowl out the other 10.

Reply #120819 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

AB can carry the drinks

Reply #120821 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

Gilchirst (w)
M Waugh
Ponting
Jones
S Waugh (C)
Bevan
Symonds
Warne (vc)
Reiffel
Fleming
McGrath

Border (12th)

Steve Waughs century when Gibbs "dropped the world cup" is one of the greatest moments of one day history.

Reply #120828 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Welcome to the hoops website for the first time today...

Reply #120830 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

unlucky inclusion of peter taylor, wtf the only reason he got a test match is folk lore with selectors naming P.taylor instead of M.taylor and not wanting to admit there mistake made m.taylor weight another season to debut, yes p.taylor could bowl ok but will allways be remember as "Peter WHO" as is the title of his autobiography

Reply #120849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thomo,

True P.Taylor was a washout as a Test player, but I'd still rank him as Australia's second-best spin bowler in our one-day history, obviously well below the great man Warney, but still 2nd best.

Reply #121037 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

taylor had moments but i think there are others in the same league as him, tim may during the 87 world cup comes to mind

Reply #121049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:01 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754