Anonymous
Years ago

36ers recruiting for 2007/08

Isaac...........

You seem to be pretty close to the Sixers camp, therefore can you shine any light on who the Sixers intend on keeping and who they intend on going after from the free agents list and as their imports?

Topic #10541 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"Isaac............" is not a good, informative topic title, so I've fixed it. Any thread started with "Isaac.........." might be more suited as an email?

As for your question, I have a reasonable idea of what's going on, but I can't say, sorry.

Things are happening though, they're not sitting around waiting.

Reply #121411 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Well just do what most other knobs do and remove Isaac and post as anonymous.

Reply #121419 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

What, and have you give him crap for shooting his uninformed anonymous mouth off???????

Reply #121424 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Calling me a knob is a great way to convince me you clown.

I've seen facts posted anonymously many times before written off by doubters like yourself, Snitch. What's the point?

Reply #121425 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

Strong talk is that 36ers have made a very strong offer for Ballinger.

Reply #121436 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Don't feel so special Isaac, everyone is a knob. It's a term of endearment. Like how some kids call each other gangster or punk or mate, I call everyone a knob.

Reply #121441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you're the only knob here jimmy.

Reply #121442 | Report this post

Jimmy_The_Snitch  
Years ago

Thanks.......keep the jokes coming.

Reply #121445 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you atleast give us some hints Isaac???

Reply #121447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

again, you're the only joke here.

Reply #121448 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Picking up Ballinger and a point guard would be sweet with me .
Add to that a Liam Rush and young aussie big and we are off and running .
Of course we have to be a tad creative in the art of book keeping but there are some good models to follow east and north of the border .

Team would shape a little like

PG --- IMPORT , ng , sutton
SG --- maher , hill
SF --- RUSH , majstrovich , copeland
PF --- BALLINGER , ??
C --- cooper , YOUNG AUSSIE

looking at our back court i think a PG in the mould of a Darnell Mee or even a Cortez Groves style and size would serve us well .

Thoughts ??

And i know nash is not on the list but is contracted .
He can sit and cheer . wooo hooo !

Reply #121452 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, I can't give you specific hints - you will have to rely on other rumours that are posted.

Reply #121453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mee isnt coming here. Don't think Hill will stay. That roster won't make top four without more help.

Reply #121456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rashad Tucker???

Reply #121457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: 36ers recruiting for 2007/08 (#121442)
you're the only knob here jimmy.

Anonymous, 26/02/07

re: 36ers recruiting for 2007/08 (#121445)
Thanks.......keep the jokes coming.

Jimmy_The_Snitch, 26/02/07

Keep the jokes coming, Snitch?? It wasn't a joke.

Reply #121458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tucker, i hope not.

Reply #121461 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The noun knob has 4 meanings:

Meaning #1: a rounded projection or protuberance

Meaning #2: a round handle

Meaning #3: any thickened enlargement
Synonyms: node, thickening

Meaning #4: an ornament in the shape of a ball on the hilt of a sword or dagger
Synonym: pommel

Reply #121465 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

The noun clown has 2 meanings:

Meaning #1: a rude or vulgar fool
Synonym: buffoon

Meaning #2: a person who amuses others by ridiculous behavior
Synonyms: buffoon, merry andrew

Reply #121466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc has one meaning...

Reply #121468 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

A jackson 5 song?

Reply #121469 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

I may have missed it but has any official announcement been made regarding Farley and Horvarth? I have certainly heard the rumours regarding Farley being out the door but havnt seen anything concrete about this.

Reply #121471 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

There was rumour about Mee but from what I hear he doesn't like Smyth much as a coach so I doubt he would return, even if his boy KB is assistant.

Reply #121472 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"123abc has one meaning..."

Go on...

Reply #121475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams can not make any players any offers until 2 weeks after the Grand Final.

Reply #121477 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Yeah, but there is no way teams are going to abide by that rule.

Reply #121480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Willie went home last wednesday morning.

Reply #121485 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

He always heads back home after the seasons finished though. Apparently he told the 36ers that he would like to play next season. I hope he does but I doubt he will.

Reply #121490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not true Nick.
He stayed here last `off season' because he has young children at school. I'm pretty sure that he's not planning on coming back.

Reply #121494 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Mod: This was not the real Isaac.)

Reply #121496 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Lookin good!

Reply #121497 | Report this post

Harvard 1500  
Years ago

Tucker will be either staying in Melbourne, or signing for Brisbane - these are the only two offers he is considering. (Don't know who Brisbane is thinking of cutting to make room for him. Can Dusty naturalise?)

Reply #121500 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That last post by "Isaac" was not me. The user has been blocked from accessing the forum.

The information they posted was incorrect.

I can't comment on situations directly impacting Adelaide, but I have heard that the Tigers are looking to part ways with Tucker.

Reply #121502 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

I understand that nothing concrete can be said until two weeks after the grand final, but can I ask that the fans hear either on here or the sixers website as soon as contracts are signed. I think the sixers really need to keep their fans informed!!

Reply #121510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought if a club cut a player anyother club was able to then sign them. Isn't that what happaned with dusty last season?

Reply #121513 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

I dont believe Dusty was cut. I believe he just didn't accept the contract offered as Brisbane's was better.

Also, a club is allowed to talk to an oppostion's player at any time if the opposition player's club gives permission.

Reply #121516 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I can't report or confirm signings until they're signed and ratified - those are the rules of the league.

They'll get there - remember, the grand final series hasn't even started yet!

Reply #121523 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Stop being impatient everyone. Wait until the right time comes to reveal information about new signings. Even if the NBL allowed any player to be pursued by any club at any time, do you think its in the best interest of the club to reveal to other clubs their intention. It would jeopardise their position with the player they were pursuing. Just wait quietly and patiently and hopefully while all this quietness and secrecy is going on, the club are work their hardest to put a decent team on the floor next season and thus doing the fans a favour. Who wants to lose the opportunity of signing a fantastic player because word got around and then other clubs beat us to it.

Reply #121530 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

I think it is great that we are hearing they are doing the right things in regards to signing.

All I want is that as soon as someone has signed on, they hold a press conference to let all their fans know!!

Reply #121551 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think there may be a press conference soon.

Reply #121557 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Someone on Ozhoops seems to be pretty certain that Brad Davidson has signed. Seemed to be posted as a fact not a rumour.

Maybe Singapore gave permission for the 36ers to talk to him and that's what the press conference is about.

Reply #121575 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I also heard that Brad Newley's old man will never let Brad play under Phil, so if this is the case we won't be seeing Brad for a while yet.

Reply #121582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know people are getting sick of the "old" Sixers remarks but I'm going to say it anyway:

Davidson would be 33 when the new season starts and would fit the Sixers 30+ recruitment policy quite nicely.

Reply #121590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

might not be ideal but dont say never

Reply #121591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In his prime.

Reply #121593 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Please somewhere be a Ballinger signing for the 36ers. I also heard about the Davidson rumour.

I'd pass on Tucker.

Reply #121594 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

Davidson has signed for 2 years to my knowledge

Reply #121596 | Report this post

DrB  
Years ago

ballinger will be a 36er next season from all reports!

Reply #121598 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Davidson has something that I haven't seen in the majority of 36ers player for a while. Some fighting spirit, some cockiness and a fair bit of dog who's not scared to go at a opposition player.

He'd be a quality signing if correct. I'm on the Ballinger bandwagon and he'd be a awesome pick-up.

Reply #121600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can confirm that Willie has expressed interest to the club that he wants to play at Adelaide next season and that Adelaide is his first choice. Willie did return home to the States last Wednesday but that was to visit his family as his father is reasonably ill.

Reply #121601 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

oh let there be Ballinger.

Reply #121608 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You'd Puff Puff Pass on Tucker you mean TR?

Reply #121628 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Cool if Farley has expressed a interest to return, can anyone see it happening???

Reply #121661 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I hope not!

Reply #121662 | Report this post

The Minx  
Years ago

Interesting, I've heard 3rd rumours checking the internet today.

Brad Davidson to the 6ers
Ballinger to the 6ers
Newley to the Sixers

Can't say whether they are tru but are all nice moves if they eventuate.

I would've attacked offseason recruiting by first only retaining 4 players - Sutton, Hill, Maher and Cooper. Sutton and Hill are only 1 point players, Maher is a 5 due to loyalty and Cooper is rated a 6. The points cap being 68 means these 4 players only take up 13 points which gives 55 points to spend on six more players. That means a probable 4 more 10 point players (2 imports imcluded) and probably a 7 and 8 point player - This is a similar way in which Brisbane have structured their all-star roster this year. I would've originally gone after Darnell but with Davidson rumoured to be already signed and Darnell rumoured to be returning to Cairns this would be unlikely. Davidson Provides a much needed ball handler who can play decent minutes at the pg spot allowing Maher to move to sg when appropriate. The next player to go after would be Newley and i hope that rumour is true. Newley, Davidson, Maher is arguably the best back court in the league and add in Hill and sutton - two capable young guards to back them up. This leaves four spots on the roster, two of which should go to imports, Ballinger would be a very nice signing and would fit into our system very well. We also should look for a stud import 3 man, this is one of the strongest positions in the NBL and our weakness this season at this spot was exposed far too regularly. After the import three, a back up 3-man is probably needed, maybe a back up 4 as Newley can probably slide over to cover the 3 from time to time. Maybe Mastro if no one else is available. A starting quality aussie big would then also be nice but this may be our hardest player to recruit, I wouldn't mind Pero V, Ben Melmeth from the slingers if possible, Derek Moore would be another one worth considering.

This would give a lineup of

Starters:
Maher
Newley
Import 3
Import PF (Ballinger?
Aussie Centre (Pero V or Melmeth)

Bench:
Davidson
Cooper
Sutton
Hill
Back up 3 man (maybe mastro if we can't do better)

I think that lineup is pretty strong and could give the top 4 a real crack. It also contains good young SA talent as well with Newley, Sutton and Hill.

Already is looking to be a very interesting offseason, I'm waiting in anticipation as to what we can put on the floor next season.

Reply #121668 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

It's nice to hear a few rumours going around as it obviously means the Sixers are being active.

If indeed Davidson has signed, then that's a great pick up not only for the fact he's a decent player but he also allows Maher to move to the 2 spot at times and also he's a guy who can ignite a team with his in your face attitude, which is something the Sixers were lacking this season apart from Copeland.

Reply #121675 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Davidson to Sixers, Ballinger to Sixers, NEWLEY TO Sixer...

It's all bullsh*t. People say who they want to play for the 36ers then people take it that those players will sign the there team.

Negotiating can't even start with players at clubs unless they have permission.

Come on now... Newley will go to:

NBA or
Europe or
Dragons or
Kings or
Tigers or
Wildcats

before the Sixers. If not, back to Townsville.

Reply #121695 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

"I think there may be a press conference soon."-Isaac

Do you mean today or this/next week?

Reply #121696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123abc you have no idea. you really don't. where theres smoke theres fire.

Reply #121710 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Soon, maybe this week, maybe next. Nothing official decided yet.

But things are happening, so just be patient.

Reply #121711 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

For some reason I don't really rate Tucker all that much. Not sure why, just don't.

Reply #121726 | Report this post

Corey  
Years ago

Why would Melbourne not re-sign Tucker anyway???

14.5ppg/7.5rpg/4.3apg @ 47%FG is not bad stats, good solid contributor...

If the 36ers signed him, he would be a handy pickup!

Reply #121765 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Corey, stats aren't everything. They might figure that they can get more for their money and the use of the import spot.

Reply #121771 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Replacing Farley with Tucker would be no improvement whatsoever. Both fall into the same category, fine offensive players (when they can be bothered), great athletes, exciting, not much else.

Reply #121792 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

XY, I think you've hit the nail on the head. Tucker brings nothing new to the table that Farley didn't provid. We can spend that money better IMO.

Reply #121797 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Tucker to brisbane or the New Blaze franchise. newely will almost certianly sign with Adelaide.

Reply #125005 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:44 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754