123abc
Years ago

Funny 36ers sign Brad Davidson, retain Matt Sutton

THE Adelaide 36ers have signed 340-game NBL veteran Brad Davidson and rookie Matt Sutton for their 2007-08 Philips Championship campaign.

The Sixers also are unlikely to retain imports Willie Farley and Nick Horvath or late signing Marcus Timmons in a team which management is busy renovating after a club-worst 11th placing.

-----

Good pickup for the Sixers.

I was wrong...Rumors were right!

Topic #10557 | Report this topic

123abc  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21299020-5006371,00.html

Reply #121786 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So clubs are free to talk now ;-)

I just pressumed it was after the GF.

Reply #121788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DJ - Singapore gave Adelaide permission to talk to Davidson.

Good signing. Last season, Adelaide were lacking on defense and passion - Davidson tried to wrestle Ben Pepper a few weeks ago, is a very quick guard, and should provide a level-headed option at the point with the versatility of starting or backing up Maher.

Reply #121789 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I like this signing a lot. As I said in the other thread, Davidson brings some dog, cockiness and attitude to the team. Something we've lacked for a while.

I just wonder what Davidson would of done if he was around when the Abney/Hill incident happened.

Reply #121796 | Report this post

Android  
Years ago

I think he can be a great player and is a terrier for sure, but... I'm just wondering about his age?

If we kept some of the others as well, are we maintaining the old boy image again?

Reply #121799 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Should be a good fit, Davidson running the point with Sutton as back up, Maher back at the 2, scoring and playmaking...2 good big men as imports. Sounds like a step in the right direction at least...

Reply #121800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't know about level headedness (if that is a word), he elbowed (or tried to elbow) Ben Pepper in the groin.

Good to see some movement from the management, let's hope they keep the signings coming.

So far:

Maher
Sutton
Davidson

Rumoured:

Tucker
Ballinger

Is Nash a definite for next year? Heard he was contracted but will he suit?

Reply #121802 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

That (anon) was me.

Reply #121803 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

They's be stupid to sign Tucker now. Get a force in the middle and a scoring/rebounding 3 man as imports. Have Cooper as backup and hopefully another signing at 4 man and you're looking pretty solid already

Reply #121804 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

I don't particularly like this move as it means we will most likely miss out on Darnell Mee.

Reply #121807 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We already missed him when Cairns locked him up, plus you don't want him for his asking price -- too expensive.

Reply #121808 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Thanks for clearing that up Isaac.

So why did Singapore not want to retain him?

Great move by the club in my opinion, just interesting since I thought he was one of the 'better' performers for the slingers.

Reply #121809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a bit of a 'cancer' at the Taipans... offcourt...

Lots of people around Cairns know him pretty well and lets just say he wasn't very welcome here once he left....

Reply #121811 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

If it doesn't work we can just get Paul Rees to jump on his chest again

Reply #121812 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NOt a bad signing, makes our backcourt small tho...

Reply #121814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess that means missing out on Ryan Kersten, the next Adelaide boy that will play in the NBL and probably play for 10 years against us.

Reply #121817 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

If Mee had already signed then that is a good signing. Im sure he wasn't asking for huge money as well so now we should have lots to go after the imports and an excellent Australian, hopefully Liam Rush.

Reply #121819 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

NOt a bad signing, makes our backcourt small tho...
That's one downside that I thought of. Maher and Davidson can both play adequate defense, shoot from outside, are both 80%+ FT shooters, but aren't big guards.

Reply #121824 | Report this post

Game Official  
Years ago

No reason imo why they could not still sign ryan kirsten?

Reply #121826 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

If we could pick up a tall swing man import,might help in the backcourt.Sutton has abit of size as would Hill if he signs.
Davidson seems like a good pick up.He used to annoy the hell out of me with his pesky defence and long range bombs.

Reply #121831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Ryan Kersten will stay and play His last 2 years at the University of New Mexico. He will be sure to step into the starting lineup for the next 2 years and really make the team his own, so why would he come back and sit his backside on the sixers bench???

Reply #121833 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I am not too disappointed with the Davidson signing but I have always thought that he is a little... short. He always seems to have had a bit of the 'little man syndrome'.

I am very pleased about the Sutton signing. He has great court awareness and poise. Hopefully he can develop a bit of offensive game and he will be at worst a very good role player in the NBL for many years to come.

Boti only mentioned both signings for 1 year? If so, this is a bit disappointing in respect of Sutton, I would have tried to tie him up to (the max?) two-year contract with options.

Reply #121836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am delighted Sutton has been retained, but I'm not sure about Davidson. Our pending mosquito-backcourt for 07/08 concerns me, particularly defensively, where I feel Maher, while copybook, has lost a step.

Plus I think Davidson's stocks dropped a little this year. I think he was a better player in his 2 seasons as a Pirate - not sure he ever found his niche in Asia. His assist numbers were down by almost 50% last season, compared to 05/06, but his turnovers were about the same.

Defensively, no doubt, Davidson, while small, provides plenty of attitude and vigour, but offensively he is a bit one-dimensional, largely limited to the three-ball.

Davidson will be serviceable and have some good nights, but he won't be the answer, IMHO.

Reply #121837 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

davidson is a step in the right direction, i remember him saying when hunter were last hear he would enjoy playing here,

good signing and a positive step in several ways relief for maher and a honest player

Reply #121839 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

"They's be stupid to sign Tucker now"

I disagree. While I like him, Davidson is no star and it leaves our (current) backcourt as no better than average.

A swingman to compliment and assist our backcourt, and play as forward, would be absolutley ideal as far as I'm concerned.

Reply #121840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

better swingmen around.

1 year for sutts is fine. not a standout begging other teams for a contract so just take small steps with him and keep options open.

Reply #121844 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Well to all the people that say Davidson wont be that good for us how about thinking that he will be the only legitimate point guard we have. Maher, Ng, Farley, Sutton, Hill are all shooting guards. It will be good to finally have someone that can actually bring the ball up and set up the offense. Having said that hopefully Smyth ditches that crazy unorthodox outdated offense and replaces it with a new offense.

Reply #121846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sutts is a PG.

Reply #121848 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Sutton plays 2 or 3 at forestville I have been told.

Reply #121854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"He was a bit of a 'cancer' at the Taipans... offcourt..."

Do you know all the facts about this or just listening to the usual rumour mill?

Many of the Cairns fans would love to see Davidson return. Off court issues should be left where they belong.......... off court.

Reply #121859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

King James I would get new sources preferably some that are accurate

Reply #121868 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

He can play the 7 or 8 at ol' Forrestville. He plays 1 for the mighty Adelaide 36ers.

Reply #121869 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches wouldnt even know who kersten is

Reply #121871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Try to recruit the following players
Schescher, Pero, Wade Helliwell, Martin iti and some college players or local adelaide boys like shannon seebohm

Reply #121872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sutton used to be a 2 guard, but after discussions with his coach at Forestville decided on a learning the role of a point guard as his coach thought he would go further if he could handle the pg position as there were better shooters of the ball out there than him! Sutton is a PG and has been for some years now!!

Reply #121878 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

with davidson, maher and sutton and maybe ng or hill do u think there is enough quickness and heart to final put some preassure up the floor instead of waiting till the end of the game before doing it. it would be nice for use to finally dictate terms with our defence.

Reply #121879 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Ng shouldn't be resigned. He can't play a full season without having to take time off for his studies. While the Sixers have done the right thing by giving him the time he needs, this is the pros. You're either in 100% or your out...and given he his doing medicine, there is no way he should chose basketball.

But more importantly he can't play a lick of D and can't play with physical opponents. In other words, he typifies exactly the soft creamy core of the Sixers during the last 3 years. He should go.

Guards should be Maher, Davidson, Sutton and Hill.

Reply #121883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we had 4 of 5 of those last season!

Reply #121884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the scratch matches will be great, davidson on maher. Brett always hates his D during games wonder if he will go softer during intra team stuff.

Reply #121885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

doubt hill will stay

Reply #121888 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

doubt hill will play anywhere again for quite some time if at all. i have heard that he is having some serious complications with the injury. it has to do with nerve problems and he is unable to lift his arm above sholder height.

Reply #121893 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

I think Davidson is a good signing, particularaly if he is coming in as a back up point guard to Maher or a import, i think Davidson gives us flexibility as he can start if need be but i think ideally the team would looks something like
PG Import/Davidson/Sutton
SG Maher/Ng or Hill
SF Newley/Majstro or someone like Rush
PF Import (ballinger)
C someone like Moore or Melmeth/Cooper

thats how i would prefer to see the team but if we miss out on Newley or a a decent centre we can always start Davidson and get a import in the SF or C spot. I think for a team like that a Cortez Groves type import would be ideal or even Tucker as Groves could start PG but play minutes in the SG spot n maybe even SF at times, and with Tucker he can start SF (Newley to play as a guard) and play some minutes in either guard spot if need be, that way even though he is coming off the bench Davidson would still get some decent minutes along with Maher and the import

Reply #121899 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

IMO the 6ers have lacked an "in your face " type of player. A big would have been better as an enforcer type role, but Davidson is a great start. And since everbody is on the height thing, I can't ever remember one S. Heal backing away from anyone. It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. A good signing, lets hope for some more.

Reply #121904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it may be Wade Helliwell, but i know the sixers are chasing a young guy quite hard atm however it would mean either hill or ng wouldn't have a spot on the team next season.

Reply #121905 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I'm interested to know why Singapore didn't want him. I admit I haven't had a good eye for Davidson until now but its hard to get excited when you sign someone outside our club before the season ends with no competition from anyone else. What is it that makes him good for Adelaide but no one else interested. Show me a real star that 6 other clubs are vigorously puersuing and then when Adelaide wins him, that will be cause for excitement. I would like to see the likes of Ebi Ere even if he commands $300K. If any club will pay that sort of money, why not Adelaide?

Reply #121907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'm interested to know why Singapore didn't want him."

Actually Davidson had an option to return to the Slingers for another year, but chose to let this pass as HE DIDN'T want to return to Singapore.

A lot of clubs are talking to a lot of players and just because something's not posted on a forum, doesn't mean other clubs aren't interested or their agents aren't talking to these other clubs!!!

Reply #121915 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

Anon (#121872),

i totally agree wit the Pero signing. he's a big body with a lot of heart and pride if/when given the right opportunity and i reckon he'd be a good back up big man to wear down opposition bigs while giving our own bigs a few mins off the court. I like Pero!! any guy who has the guts to have his name on his shoulder where everyone sees all the time is a champ!! haha. i would love to see the Sixers give him a go; i reckon he'd be a fan favourite too!!!!!

also what about Southern's big Dan Lalic.. plays bigger than his frame..surely he's got to make the next step from Pt Lincoln camp to the 10-12 that suit up!!

Reply #121937 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Brad Davison is a tenacious player with heart, but why do we concentrate on guards all the time. I won't get excited until the names of a few genuine big men are being thrown around as definites

Reply #121982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the names people are throwing around we are going to be shit again this year. If our guards are going to be Maher,Davidson,Sutton and Hill then we will have the worst backcourt in the league, and the worst backcourt the 6ers have ever had!

Reply #121990 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Reesy is looking forward to next summer now he wil have a surfboard in town :)

Reply #121996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pero???

Um, no, that guy is all over the place, in everyway, and always has been.

Reply #122049 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I'd like to point out I had not seen The Tiser when I mnade the surfboard comment....dont want to steal Boti's joke (as lame as mine and his was!)

Reply #122117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it would be great to bring in the likes of Luke S, Pero, Shannon Seebohm, Dan Lalic and a few others at least Pero would be reliable and would always back up his team mates he would of been straight up in Abneys face after he broke Hills arm... He also has alot of heart..

Reply #122126 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

Can you guys afford to give players 2 year deals for next season? That is why you ended up with the dregs this year.

Reply #122200 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

umm no due to changer of owner ship taking place mid season i believe it was something agreed to by the gov and the caretakers of the 36ers that 1 year contracts would be offered

Reply #122273 | Report this post

smitty12  
Years ago

i'm still calling on Pero as he's big, go heart & pride, and will give it his all. Just a back up to play 10-20mins a game and wear out opponents' big men!! Did Pero used to play for the Mt Gambier Pioneers or the Adelaide Buffaloes?? i remember bein in the Mt as a kid visiting rellies and watching that game - never knew which team he played for HAHA.

What about Brad Gerlach...hopefully if he gets back to full fitness the 36ers would be giving him another go hopefully. i reckon he's one who could really play a limited role if given a go and is fit!!

Reply #122284 | Report this post

sarah lupo  
Years ago

hi brad really like matt sutton he was my boy friend

Reply #130926 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

WTF?

Reply #130977 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

WTF? x2

Reply #130984 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

G'day Brad.
Brillant to see you after about 10 years. Good to see your tenacity is still as strong as it has always been. Let me know the dates you will be this way, and we will catch up again.
Cheers, Andrew.

Reply #160973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hi it is tayla hardin here! i love you, you roc!!!!!!!!

Reply #174118 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

Hi Tayla.....what are you wearing?

Reply #174119 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

School uniform is my guess!

Reply #174121 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

This is the officer me from the childrens online protection unit,

We are watching you !!

:)

Reply #174123 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754