Game Official
Years ago

New ABA Ref's in Adelaide?

I thought it would be a good topic to talk about ref's who are likely to break in to the Aba this season?

Every year there are normaly some new umpires trying to make there mark.

They work very hard on improving to this level.

I think the following would go ok on Aba games.

Mark Frost
Jarrod Cresp
Ben Spiers
Daren Wilson

Not sure if these would get a go but imo would be better than some of the current group

I also heard Tristan would be back this season from Whyalla or something.

Can others contribute?

Topic #10559 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 ex-ABA referees are returning from Interstate.

I believe 2 ABA refs from last season will not be continuing this season.

Darren Wilson is an ABA referee already and did numerous matches last season.

IMO Ben will be ready to referee ABA at some stage during the season, Jarrod possibily under the right conditions but Mark is a fair way off that level right now.

Also the loss of Central's women's team means less referees will be required each round which will lower the chances of new referees breaking into the fold.

Reply #121825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A dark horse for ABA this season could be Alex Bull.
IMO he has moved ahead of Mark Frost and should be considered for a game or two during the season

Reply #121828 | Report this post

Game Official  
Years ago

who are the ex referees from interstate?
Michelle Dyson?

I also heard all games this season will be 3 umpires on each game so that solves the problem of less ref's with centrals out.

Reply #121829 | Report this post

Ok  
Years ago

I found a list of this seasons group of ref's and the names I think might be new are as follows:

Alex Jordan
Ben Spiers
Sam LeGaliou
Mark Frost
Tristan Graham (returning)

121825 - who are the two who are not going to continue also?

Reply #121832 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Game official,

The word is one round of ABA mens matches will be run 3 man.
They obvious cant run only a couple of games with three man when they feel like it, so expect to see several rounds with multiple refs!

Mens games only

Reply #121851 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

daniel hughes is one of those out (work commitments), michael harvey is also out (wow, what a loss he is). 3 man for some of the season but clubs dont want to pay an extra $20 per round to cover the cost of having 3 man
returning, Tristan Graham and Daniel Haebich

Reply #121852 | Report this post

Ok  
Years ago

oh haebich and tristan are both experienced at this level so that is good for the league.

i think it will be more than $20 extra for three umpires considering the top umpires earn over $100 per game.

how can they have some games 3 person and others 2 person?? why would they do that?

Reply #121870 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

OK. I don't know where ya got ya facts from but alex jordan is currently in melbourne for atleast another 2 yrs don't know how he is gonna ref abl down here. but if you know more let us know.

Reply #121933 | Report this post

Punter  
Years ago

Ben Spiers is around the mark. I think a season of solid Div 2 games and then Summer Div 1 will see him doing ABL next season.
Alex Bull would be the same as he has not done any summer Div 1 and has only just starting doing Div 2 games. So possible next season or the one after for sure.
Jarrod Cresp have not seen a lot of him so hard to comment. Would be another season off I think.
Mark Frost would have the experience over the two mentioned above but I see him as the last in line of these three named. Just not mature enough for this standard and needs to work on communicating with players not thinking his is it. Will get there if he works hard enough on these areas.

I would imagine that you will see the someone like Joel Ekers get a game here and there but possibly no new refs stepping up this season.

Future is looking brighter though from what I have seen in the next two to three seasons

Reply #121956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrod is the best coach I've ever had and he's a great umpire so I'd love to see him reffing Aba sometime

Reply #157693 | Report this post

afroman jnr  
Years ago

jarrod cresp, to late hes already done aba, and so has spiers (i think) joel ekers has, mark frost has, and a new girl (i think again) rebeka ____ (not sure on her last name) they have all dont games, and from wat ive heard done really well. congrats guys

Reply #157706 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:00 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754