Doddobird
Years ago

Pippen over Jordan?

This is what Scottie thinks:

"I think people love me just as much as they love Michael," Pippen said. "The fans who understand the game, the GMs and coaches. I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael. Because I'm an all-around player. Coaches would rather have a Scottie-type player than a Michael. I was an all-around player. I made people around me better."

I´ll take Jordan.

Topic #10568 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably reffering to his thoughts of a comeback.

As in they would rather and old Scottie than a Jordan.

To be honest... i would probably rather and old scottie too.

Reply #121967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably reffering to his thoughts of a comeback.

As in they would rather and old Scottie than a Jordan.

To be honest... i would probably rather and old scottie too.

Reply #121968 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

sorry Pips u were good but someone who can hit game winners on demand, scoring trophies, mvps,. and defensive titles i'll take any day

Reply #121969 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

If he is talking about his comeback I would take Scottie

Reply #121974 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

As much as I love Scottie's game, I would take the young or old Mike over him any day.

Reply #121979 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Spadge, that is exactly why I would rather have an old Pippen than an old Jordan. Can you imagine trying to tackle Jordan's ego to get him to come off the bench, play 20 minutes a game and not make the whole season about him?

Reply #121981 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jasmine, we are talking about the same guy here aren't we?
Who nearly carried a shit Wizards team to the playoffs for the first time in 10 years...who averaged about 20 6 and 6 as a 40 year old?

Reply #121994 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

DB5...but that's the point. The Wizards were so god awful that Jordan could come in and be the man. He didn't have to co-exist in a successful team with players younger and better than him. They improved with him for sure (how could they be any worse?) but I don't think anything he did with the Wizards suggests giving him an ego massage would be easy process.

Reply #122009 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

Jasmine. Greatest ever. Simple as that

Reply #122014 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

lockstock...greatest ever, but would not be close to being greatest in the league in this hypothetical situation and probably not the greatest on his team either.

Reply #122025 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I don't think he'd be stupid enough to think he was if he was going to a contender either

Reply #122028 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Jasmine, they had Rip Hamilton the first season playing the Scottie type role, he was okay with it, it was just that bitch Stackhouse that had the ego problem in the second season. MJ is the man. 1st time, 2nd time and 3rd time around..
He would still be the best on his team for pure hoop smarts.

Reply #122031 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Pure hoop smarts will not make you the best on a team. You need athleticism in todays NBA, its a faster game.

I agree with Jasmine on this one, I would rather have an old Pippen. Watching some of those Wizards games where Jordan flat out refuses to let anyone else use the ball on his team wasn't the best thing to watch. He just HAD to be the man.

Pippen would be better at developing your younger guys and fitting in with no ego.

Reply #122041 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Yeah, he really showed that demanding a trade from the Bulls..no ego, everyone in the NBA has 10 egos!
Add to that the migraine game against Detroit, and that great no ego showing when he kicks chairs and refuses to go back into a game cause Kukoc gets the last shot.

How does averaging 6 assists demand to be the man??

Also pretty sure hoops smarts helped him change his game each time he came back as well..ie. less dunking more post game 96-98, no dunking, up and under post game 01 and 02.
Again show me another 40-41 year old averaging 20 6 and 6 in a league full of teenagers.

Reply #122051 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I am not doubting Jordan's skill, as I am also a fan. I am just saying I would rather an old pippen now than an old Jordan for developing young players, and the synergy of the team.

Did Washington develop at all from those two years? probably not. Jordan sold out every arena he played in, making heaps of cash for the franchise, so they didn't care.

Even though he had 6 assists a game, he still dominated the ball, everything had to go through him. I don't think he taught the young wizards team anything, and I don't think the team developed at all.

(plus, he drafted Kwame Brown but that's a whole nother topic).

Reply #122056 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

lol...I will give you the Kwame one, but agree to disagree otherwise as I don't see how a dummy spitting Pippen is any better...hopefully he has changed, though when you read comments like he has stated above, you have to wonder...

Reply #122061 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Yeah don't get me wrong - if Pippen when saying "I think they'd rather have a Scottie than a Michael." is talking about them in their primes, I think he is full of sh*t. I was only commenting on the assumptions he was talknig about playing at 41, 42 years old.

Both in thier primes, Jordan was a monster. Yeah, Pippen massively helped, but Jordan was the man.

Even Pippen commented during that season Jordan first retired that he felt the bulls weren't up to scratch and they needed Jordan back.

Pippen couldn't lead a good Portland team to the finals once traded too...

Reply #122064 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

(#122064) exactly olskoolgamer pippen was a good player in a team that had the greatest player ever in it

Reply #122080 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Players that played with MJ looked better because of him, Met a Wizards player (Michael Ruffin) a cple of years ago and spent some time asking him about MJ and playing against Shaq.
Told me MJ was fantastic to watch and learn from but had a huge ego, and even at his age was still the biggest trash talker in the league...ofcourse he could back it up.
In regards to Shaq he just said hes Fkin Huge.

Okay so that was way of topic, But I would take MJ anyday. If you sign him with it agreed that he will be playing of the bench and he accepts then I dont think there would be a problem, and can you imagine having a player of his status comming in of the bench. Oppositions worst nightmare. MJ made Pippen look better than he was.

Reply #122112 | Report this post

The question would be, would Jordan still get the calls? If he didn't, i'd probably take Mark madsen over him.

Reply #122134 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

ELG, why, because of the way he dances???

Reply #122162 | Report this post

no... because Madsen is the best team mate in the league. didn't you know

Reply #122235 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:27 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754