What is it
Years ago

ABL What is it

I have been reading all threads on the coming season. It is sounding more like a pretend low budget NBL competition every year. (sorry maybe not such a low budget)
I still struggle with its purpose.
Where does it leave up and coming juniors, where do they get a game at the next level. When I talk to most in Clubs about this, all I get is "you have to have a successful senior program to have a successful junior program, this is how it is justified.
My problem is I cannot see an opportunity for juniors, with teams full of NBL players.
I would like to hear from juniors moving up to this level, do not name clubs, just let us know if you feel there is a pathway for you, or is it a brick wall

Topic #10578 | Report this topic

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

Up and Coming juniors go into their respective ABL teams champion! If they are good enough. If they get a taste of senior basketball they can then progress through to much greener pastures potentially. ABL is for senior players, where else would they go after being an up and coming junior...???

Reply #122142 | Report this post

What is it  
Years ago

I can see that a club would see your point of view.
I would like to hear from the juniors that are trying to break into the senior comp.
This is not a shot, but as an example, would chief from North see Dusty as good thing?
I know that a balance of experianced players is a good thing, the juniors in the group would learn a great deal, it is the ratio that bothers me.
More importantly, I think that a lot of kids coming through 18's and 20's cannot see a future.

Reply #122143 | Report this post

What is it  
Years ago

Sorry to answer your question "where else would they go after being an up and coming junior...??? "
My fear is either out of the sport or to a college.
A lot of Juniors opt for the US college, why?

Reply #122144 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

The US college thing is complex. Three reasons are generally offered:

1. Basketball
2. Education
3. Life Experience

The first two reasons are difficult to justify, particularly for women. The third is justifiable.

To answer your global question with an unfortunate fallacy of argument....name us one mature teams sport in the world that does not have tiered competitions - jnrs - snrs - semi prof - prof (AFL, ARL) or jnr - snr - state - internat (hockey, cricket). The unfortunately named ABL is a part of that tier for basketball.

Reply #122147 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

There are hardly any NBL players in the league anyway (on a % basis). Not an issue IMO - in fact, top junior talent benefits from training against those guys week in week out.

Reply #122149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I currently am in one of the women's ABL squads, and we have about 50% juniors in our squad. They range in age from just turned 15 upwards, and through discussions with these girls, it is apparent, that playing and training at this level is a steep learning curve for the girls, but a productive one regardless.
Many of these players already play Div 1 juniors, and have state and or SASI committments where they learn and compete with other juniors, but nothing ever compares to the time that they spend with the seniors.
As a junior, I played with a couple of senior players who were WNBL / WNBA standard players, and I can't emphasise enough the amount that these girls taught me, not only through their words, but also through their actions. Having players like this in an ABA often take a deal of the teaching load off of coaches, and distribute it through the senior group to help with the elite junior development.

Reply #122151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"What is it" in relation to your first statement, North Adelaide Men will be fielding a team which consists of all North juniors except for Dusty. These juniors have been striving to play at this level for their club since day one. the statement should be a successful junior program ensures a successful senior one.

Reply #122177 | Report this post

Jack Handy  
Years ago

I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?" "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet. You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times." It was all true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach. He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

If your good enough... you'll play

Reply #122219 | Report this post

Graeme LeBroy  
Years ago

"What is it" I believe College is 'greener pastures' I was referring to the high number of players that don't get that opportunity for "where else would they go...". Back in my day it was very very hard to get into College bball, these days, you need 1 good tape and someone will pick you up.

Reply #122334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a dyslexic's attempt to recite their ABC!

Reply #122371 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

HO, didn't understand your "particularly for women" comment.

Aussie women who've gone to the US College system could easily justify basketball and education as their motivation to go.

Quite honestly, the US higher education system is renowned world-wide for it's quality, I'd love a free undergraduate degree and play basketball for a few years in the States. Even if I didn't make the WNBA/NBA, come back better player, made some lifelong friends, have a great degree with no HECS debt, sounds like a sweet deal to me.

Oh, and Graeme LeBroy, your day wasn't THAT long ago. You suck my battleship.

Reply #122803 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754