In the know
Years ago

Club of Origin Championships

I was thinkinh the other night of how great it would be for us to have a basketball state of origin but with juniors and seniors but relating to clubs only.

The criteria would be that you must be currently playing, must play for the club that you originally started with and you must have played for that club for a minimum of 1 season.

Who would be the strong clubs? Who would get players back to their club for this and who would win boys and girls? I propose the following grades:

Under 10 Boys and Girls
Under 12 Boys and Girls
Under 14 Boys and Girls
Under 16 Boys and Girls
Under 18 Boys and Girls
Under 21 Boys and Girls

Senior Men
Senior Women
Masters Men over 35.
Masters Women over 35.

I think that this would be great fun and also interesting to see what players would return to what clubs.

Any thoughts?

By the way for seniors you could iclude NBL players like wheeler, bradtke, boyd, schenscher, rogers, etc.

Topic #1060 | Report this topic

In the know  
Years ago

I am also saying that this probably wouldn't happen but it would certainly be interesting to see if it could.

Reply #11800 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

A great idea, if you could flesh it out, and put it in writing, I would suggest passing it on to BASA - ensuring you receive the appropriate recognition of course.

Under 10 and Under 12 would really be the current teams, and perhaps a bit superflous to the idea. If NBL / Overseas players are eleigible, you would want to have some sort of restriction on that. Imagine Sturt basically putting the current 36ers team into light blue singlets and calling it their senior mens team (no disrepesct intended towards Sturt players coaches etc)

Reply #11814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Tigers would still beat them Yogee. Who would stop Bradtke, Schencher & Wheeler?

Reply #11816 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Ninnis, Maher, Davis and Wheeler are all originally from South, I think. So Sturt would be good but South would be strong.

Reply #11820 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yeah I know all these players originated from other clubs, and certainly know about the Tigers history.

My point was not so much meant to be club releated, but more the point that there would have to be restrictions on how many NBL / International players each club could field.

Reply #11827 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Why would there have to be restrictions?

I'm not aware of any in Australian Rules State of Origin competitions (for example).

Reply #11830 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Ok...the reason being...how many NBL / International players have say...Woodville, Centrals, eastern produced, when compared to Sturt, Tigers, Forestville even??

I was suggesting you want to have restrictions to keep the competition a bit more even and fair.

Reply #11845 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Who needs restrictions?? This is fantasy! It's amazing how many superstar players actually changed clubs once in their juniors!

Reply #11863 | Report this post

lw  
Years ago

sturt, forestville and noarlunga have been going for a very long time under various guises. sturt had their first international player, john heard, rome olympics in 1960 the first year they entered district as uniting church. forestville used to be west torrens both changed their names with the 'district' name rule came in. And noarlunga used to be glenelg and before that catholic youth. all 3 teams have had like south and north single stadium occupancies since the 1970's.

centrals made the district the comp in 1981 and have moved from parafield gardens to elizabeth then to gawler. woodville 1982, year after centrals have been in st clair, athol park (shared with west then adelaide) now the powerhouse.
eastern joined in the early 90s and have played out of mt barker but have history with murray bridge and and early eastern hills.

don't forget the teams such as vytis and ASK that provided players such as algis ignativicus (spelling), mike dancis and andris blicavs.

norwood and west have also contributed national league and international players

interesting concept but hard to achieve i'd imagine

centrals i can't think of a junior who has played nbl or wnbl (sorry if i've missed one) but they certainly have had players on their roster who have played nbl.

woodville - tim brenton 36ers/hobart, paul 'reggie' vandenberg canberra, darren ng 36ers. (darren actually played his first year/s with adelaide)

eastern have holmes but its early hours of the morning i think he came from sturt i'm sure i'll be corrected if i am wrong.

after a long post - i was trying to make a reply to yogee an others that some teams are very young in comparison with others

Reply #11872 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

We are looking at current players that are playing. Not history.

Reply #11914 | Report this post

oldguy  
Years ago

I like the concept but to put it together would prove difficult. Perhaps somebody should start a list of who would be eligible for which club. Post it and see who disagrees....where did vikki kelson start - she played at centrals and was on Lightning roster and won 3 Halls medals playing with Adel Sthn Suns. Lets get some team lists together first.

Reply #12154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought i would re fire this discussion.Question: If every player that has moved from their clubs went back and played for their original club, who would be the strongest club in South Australia? In boys and girls.

Reply #28801 | Report this post

Forbes 500  
Years ago

Brendon Mann started at Centrals and played NBL

Dan Clausen but he is from the USA

Ashley Trurman 83 sixer....is that still NBL was a Centrals boy

thats about it.

Reply #28805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone remember where Ottey started at?

Going by the list of ABA players on here and leaving Ottey at Norwood I've come up with the following club list from memory:

Centrals - 6
Eastern/Murray Bridge - 12
Forestville - 12
North Adelaide 16
Norwood - 14
South Adelaide - 17
Southern/NCT/ASS - 21
Sturt - 21
Torrens Valley - 2
West Adelaide - 16
Woodville - 16

I would post names but I'm sure I have some wrong so I wouldn't want to make claims about certain players which aren't true. I've included players like Watson who's first S.A. Club is Centrals.

Reply #28814 | Report this post

Dave  
Years ago

Phil & Dave Smyth started with South

Reply #28817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And in the girls:

Centrals - 8
Eastern - 9
Forestville - 10
North Adelaide - 22
Norwood - 15
South - 4
Southern/NCT/ASS - 23
Sturt - 22
West Adelaide - 16
Woodville - 20

Again I'm sure I have some wrong but this is from what little I have been able to find out. Also again interstate recruits are included on the list of the club they first played for in Adelaide; Vicki Kelson (Centrals) for example.

Reply #28885 | Report this post

Ouch  
Years ago

thats got to hurt centrals 8 and south 4.

Reply #28887 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

What about juniors?

Reply #28913 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

re: Club of Origin Championships (#28814)
Anyone remember where Ottey started at?

Pretty sure he played mostly div 2s at Woodville.

Reply #28914 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

At the risk of getting original clubs wrong here goes: Top 5 HSA for each club based on players original clubs. In theory a kind of All-Star 5.

Centrals: Jye Watson, Bronson Kies, Michael Zorich, Daniel Wilson, Jordan Kies.

Eastern: Brad Bungey, Joel Goodenough, Ben Madgen, Rohan Cropley, Brock Harrison.

Forestville: Jason Dix, Brad Davis, Jason Farman, Doug MacDonald-Taylor, Brad Newley.

North: Nick Hambour, Justin Wilkey, Paul Bell, Brad Sullivan, Luke Mapunda.

Norwood: Todd Gower, Keith Krause, Daniel Thompson, Nathan Hawkes, Scott Arnold.

South: Steven Pilkington, Andrew Webber, Luke Frost, Scott Thur, Damian Scanlon.

Southern: Brad Gerlach, Ben Trebilcock, Daniel Kosmider, Ben Hodges, Will Foster.

Sturt: Oscar Forman, Andrew Puddifoot, Adam Becis, David Bowley, Simon Kent.

West: Mark Nash, Daniel Phillips, Mike McKay, Jason Baylis, Shane Crothers.

Woodville: Paul Vandenbergh, Darren Ng, Cameron Wilson, Mark Fuller, Zane Reeves.

I apologise to those who I have gotten wrong; I'm sure there's bound to be some.

Reply #28920 | Report this post

DOUGHY's FAN!  
Years ago

Doug is the best from Forestville!

Reply #28921 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

Same conditions apply to the girls. As well as the belief I'm bound to get a few original clubs wrong.

Centrals: Vicki Kelson, Janelle Ridley, Lauren Mansfield, Amy Stace, Tracie Dawber.

Eastern: Cayla Francis, Erin Seward, Conor O'Brien, Amanda Williams, Siobhan O'Brien.

Forestville: Cherie Smith, Deanne Ranford, Sue Wells, Mia Newley, Rebecca Campbell.

North: Tania Dhu, Kristi Ollino, Belinda Tredwell, Jenni Screen, Rachel Keller.

Norwood: Elizabeth Keane, Melissa Marsh, Natalie Buck, Melissa Winfield, Karin Roberts.

South: Jo Robbertsen, Taya Crockford, Laura Hurley, Abby Williams, ??.

Southern: Tracey Braithwaite, Colleen Kaesler, Jenni Carberry, Narelle Lindsay, Sally Mostert.

Sturt: Laura Summerton, Simone Nelson, Monique Bowley, Brigid Bowley, Kylie Newbold. Probably would have Ang Marino in here with the miss boxscore from the Centrals game.

West: Kamala Lamshed, Marina Wood, Kylie Evans, Kerrin Truslove, Leah Mencel.

Woodville: Shannon Gates, Jodie Barratt, Irene Sourlatzis, Karen Winterm Shay Bayly.

Reply #28922 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

And i would be very interested when it came to juniors who would be the strong club. Some good researching being done.

Reply #28936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ottey started with Torrens Valley and u can tell.

Reply #28938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JB played with Southern as a kid

Reply #28939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So?

Reply #28948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jacob Holmes and Brad Hill are both Sturt Juniors who changed clubs after U/18

Reply #28950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So Michelle Brogan doesn't make the starting 5 for Southern?

Where did Jenny Cheeseman and Pat Mickan start if it wasn't Tigers?

Reply #28957 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

Holmes, Hill, Brogan, Cheesman and Mikan aren't currently playing in the Central ABL. They are all good players the last three being absolute legends. But as you might have noticed Ive only included active ABL players.

Reply #28986 | Report this post

Read this  
Years ago

Something like this would also be great!

Reply #133226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754