Nick
Years ago

Casey & Carfino

What do people think about John Casey and Steve Carfino? I reckon Casey is a good commentator cause he uses strange words and phrases like "Corletto's got the ball but is running out of real estate" or "Horvath is an unlikely conveyance from that far out." Carfino is nothing special but is OK. I can also understand how people would find them annoying. What do you think?

Topic #10606 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I cannot stand Carfino, he is so arrogant as thinks he is the king, he wonders around post-game functions after fox games like all should bow down to him. His comment suck and he is extremely biased.

I like Casey.

Reply #122395 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Don't really like Casey commentating a game like it's a horse race but he knows the product and can rattle off tripe at a hundred miles an hour.

Have shared a table with Carfino for dinner a few times after 36ers games and he has always seemed like a decent guy - never rude or arrogant FWIW. Tends to provide occasional insight during games from a former player's perspective but lacks something.

They're both B grade commentators with room to improve their style. Until someone else comes along or they up their rating, I don't mind them.

Reply #122399 | Report this post

Ak-47  
Years ago

I also find Carfino a tool! He talks about himself, Goorijian, the kings and any team other than Adelaide. Casey his cool... I enjoy his commentary

Reply #122400 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

i think casey should be made to listen to dick vitale(spelling may be wrong) may give him some new sayings i mean do we care if they were a former rookie of the year

Reply #122405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grybass *spelling works for fox, why can't he do nbl as well?

Reply #122437 | Report this post

Dribbler  
Years ago

Totally agreed 122395

Reply #122441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i love the fact casey actually comments the game. he can make boring games sound exciting or like somethings happening. you really notice it when watching nba games, where you tend to get two games sharing anecdotes about their careers or telling stories about the players and statistics rather than commentating the action that the camera is showing. to me it makes it seem like there is nothing interesting going on the court

Reply #122458 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Sure, that's wonderful, but he describes the action like he's transcribing it for blind people. I'm watching the game. I can see that Mackinnon is passing it to Black.

My main issue with the Fox broadcasts is their pissweak rundown of stats at the end. Carf interviews someone and then that's more or less it. Put up an abbreviated box of key players like the NBA broadcasts do - who got the game high assists? Who had a double-double?

Reply #122486 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prehaps they should dump Carf's crappy 'plays of the week' and have a propper top ten or somthing and revamp their god damn display, the template they use is horrible.

Reply #122499 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If you're talking about that blue background thing that they use for starting lineups and half-time stats then, definitely. That's work experience kid material. Looks very poor.

Reply #122503 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Just thank the lord that Bill Woods is not doing it any more ... turnover time!

Reply #122505 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I like Steve.. met him a month or so ago and seemed like a really nice guy. I think he is an excellent commentator.

Casey has to drop the cliches!

Reply #122506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah steve thinks hes an nba commentator when really this is AUSTRALIAn basketball. I still think a third commentator would do wonders to their line up which is looking quite tired after 5-6 years.

Reply #122507 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Got on the turps with Carfino one weekend in melbourne, pretty cool guy and definately not arrogant. I agree he isnt a great caller of the game. Could be worse though, remember the Steve Quartermaine Drew Morphett days?? Just imagine Mark Davis! At the end of day.....

Reply #122515 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

At least they no longer have the "Special Comments" from Peter Ali..
He used to just make grunting noises in the background in reaction to events on the court.

I think Casey talks too much also, he does more a radio style commentatry. They should announce stats as they go, like they do in NBA broadcasts, ie after a rebound announce how many rebounds they have (obviously this is when they have a significant ammount).
Also should announce milestones in stats like double figure assists etc..

On a related topic, when I was in Chicago last season at a Bulls v Pistons game they had people come around at half time and hound out box scores - I really liked that idea, perhaps the sixers could adopt that.

Reply #122523 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

I would like to see an ex coach in there providing some insight into the game from a technical point of view.

A guy like Stacker could be the NBL's Hubie Brown.

Reply #122535 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

casey can be very negative, plus when he says .....has ..points only.... has more, I could scream. how many times during a match does he say that.
plus I don't think he has a basketball brain! he is soooo predictable!

Reply #122549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

or his favourite line 'we trust you are enjoying our coverage here on foxsports'

Reply #122567 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

Anyone remember the days of Dennis Commetti doing the commentry? Did a few Perth home games from memory back in the ch 7 days and knew his stuff.

I rate Andrew Gaze and Derek Rucker as special comments men when not doing games with teams they have a vested interest in.

The best special comments man Fox has ever had was Bruce Palmer who comes up with some gold sometimes.

"Paul Rees is deceptively slow" is a little gem of his that comes to mind.

Back on to Casey and Carfino, a good fun game to play a long with at home is John Casey bingo. Draw up a few cards with Casey cliches and give them to friends, mark them off during the course of the game as John delivers the classic lines. My quickest BINGO is at the 7:36 mark of the 2nd period.

P.S. If you have "shot clock goes into sing figures" on your card consider yourself odds on favourite to win.

Reply #122613 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

smooth pockets u could turn that into a drinking game by takeing caseys fav. saying and the person that has drawn that one has to down a shot. u should be well and truely pickled by the end of the night

Reply #122616 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

want to save us all some effort smooth pockets and post up your list of john casey-isms?

Reply #122621 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Grybas and Cometti should commentate the basketball!

Reply #122627 | Report this post

smooth pockets  
Years ago

-User friendly roll
-Ball does a lap of honour
-Continuation is waved away (a personal favourite)
-Climbs upstairs for the flush
-Caught 2 pieces of the iron
-Short arms the shot
-Lead cut back to single digits (not to be confused with shot clock)
-(insert team) with a (insert lead) point buffer
-Used up (x) seconds of the alotted 8 bringing the ball across the halfway line
-Over cooks the shot
-Leads the game in that category
-Non preferred left hand
-NBL hall of famer Steve Carfino
-Ball jumps out of the cylinder
-From the land of plenty

BINGO!

Reply #122632 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

how about this a$10 buy in and you choose a saying from above with the winner collects all with the most times said. from the stats room would u be able to keep a count of the above. 1 saying per person any takers

Reply #122638 | Report this post

Stingray  
Years ago

Drewy is my favorite, not on SEN Radio but on Fox. Cafino really annoys me now, its been to long and the same material. He was ok back with channel 10 in the early 90's when he was new but now im over it.
Bill Woods was horrible, Horrible so its agood thing he's on motor sport or something.
A third wheel would be great, special comments from a mix of crew - Staker, Kerle (tossa but is entertaining), Mick Hill would be great at it, Bruce Palmer was GREAT the other week in Cairns.
Casey is ok, does his research but as said earlier.. just something missing.
The interviewing can really improve, I hate Cafino's plays of the week commentary man... I 'Mute the hell out of it.

Reply #122664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve is one of the greatest commentators of all time

Reply #122842 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

We need a Charles Barkley commentator of the NBL.

Reply #122845 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:21 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754