The Watcher
Years ago

Junior Coaches and Parent Behaviour

On Sat morning out to watch my niece play her weekly basketball, I can see why referees are so hard to come by. I was watching a game before the one I was there to see, and it would have been div 3-4 maybe, as the standard was not that flash. However I thought the two very young ref's did let a bit of the stuff go, like travels/carry's/double etc, but probably was even for both sides. If they hadn't the game would not have gone anywhere. One coach for a certain club was carrying on like an absolute chop. Yelling out, throwing his hands around, which in turn the allowed for the specatators of this team to then get vocal and question every call made. The other team were great and their spectators didn't batter an eyelid when an incorrect decision was made.

Surely for these low divisions it is the ideal chance for ref's to start out and/or gain some skills, without coaches carrying on!! Coaches must realise that their behaviour can in-turn flow on to parents who may not have a real understanding of the game, and causes them to moan.

Having been associated with a district club for 25 yeras now, since under 12's, and playing in div 1 throughout juniors, I guess I never really saw this sort of stuff, as most parents probably had an understanding of the game.

The offending coach of this team, looked like he had at least played one game of 'F' grade social before, and probably is a king amongst the young girls he coaches. I just hope when my kids are old enough to play I don't encounter these type of 'monkeys' on opposing teams.

It only encourges players on the court and the like to question what is already a hard job in refereeing. I was told to not question an ump's decision throughout my younger days, and my parents threat of not playing the following week was enough for me to stop, and think twice about it. Maybe some coaches need to do the same to some parents or indeed look at themselves.

This probably happens every week, but I have not seen a junior game in many years, and I am sure there are many ex state league/aba players like myself who would feel the same if they went back to watch juniors from time to time.

Basically leave the ref's alone, and watch the game with respect to all involved, especially when you are a coach who should have some idea of the game.

Cheers.................

Topic #10612 | Report this topic

Spadge  
Years ago

i think also when a complaint is made to an UIC that it shoudl be taken seriously and not just dismissed with a generic comment like i've been watchin the umpiring is good when you know full well they havent watched a second

do they still use the yellow and red cards for juniors

Reply #122531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No excuse for parents to be abusive or coaches but lets understand that poor umpiring and non calls under the guise of letting it go because they'd have to blow it up every 3 seconds doesn't wash either.
Scrap div 3,4, 5, and 66 and make it a real District comp.

Reply #122533 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Further to The Watcher's comments,
the actions of the spectator (also centrals player who's brother was playing) during the north/TV game on sunday was disgraceful.

Meanwhile, when are coaches and parents going to realise that all refs go through a stage where they are still learning and gaining more experience by doing those games.

Reply #122550 | Report this post

Tears of ISIS  
Years ago

I'm pretty sure Isaac lock the other thread and said for people not to comment on this issue that occurred Sunday morning

Reply #122553 | Report this post

The Watcher  
Years ago

I know nothing of this incident that occurred, and was not actually commenting on it. My comments are about just poor behaviour of coaches and parents towards learning referees. Again not discussing this other incident, and did I mention any teams or the like. I was actually talking about a girl's game which was div 4-5 at best. Thanks for you concern though 'Tears of ISIS'.

Reply #122587 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

To the original poster - agree with you - I wish that Coaches and Parents of opposing teams would stop yelling out all the calls for the refs - at some stadiums parent spectators sit at one end of the court and yell out travel and foul as loud as they can and intimidate opposing players and referees at the same time so they are forced to say travel or call a foul even when it may not have been - just some group of parents biased misinterpretation. This tends to happen more at the parent yellers home courts to by the way

And I am talking Under 12 girls if any one wants to know. Then you get some coaches doing the same thing - but when their kids clearly travel or foul they say nuffink - if you think you are good enough to call fouls, travels, carrys for the opposing team -start calling them for your own team - be fair

Reply #122612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Been to a sixers game? Heard the crowd? If its acceptable for adults to do it and model specific behaviours, how in the hell do you think you are going to curb mums and dads at kids games?
Going home in the car, kids hear and have reinforced how bad the refs were. They turn on the TV and see Hewitt giving a mouthful to the umpire, and listen to reports about how our world champion cricket team is considered the world's worst sledgers.
Get real, we want it this way!

Reply #122622 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

THE WHOLE WORLD HAS GONE MAD!

Reply #122630 | Report this post

Turk  
Years ago

I too went and saw my nieces game the other day at the Dome, and have to say that the parents (mostly the mums) on her team were terrible. So one-eyed, that is was embarrassing sitting on their side.

Never played District myself, but consider myself to be well educated when it comes to BBall, and thought the two young refs called an extremely messy game very well. But the harrassment was endless.

Felt extremely bad for the young pair, so made a point of going up to them after the game, to tell them that they did a good job even though my nieces team lost. They both looked like rabbits in the headlights when i went up to them, they were scared i was going to sledge them.

It's a ridculous situation, that most of these Mums who have never even played (I can almost guarantee) can do that to a young pair of learning refs.

Reply #122699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#122531)Spadge, The most UN-classy thing to do at a stadium is to go and cry to the UIC. Having watched my kids play many winning and loosing games I can say that almost 9 out of 10 times that a parent "complains" to the UIC it is normally the person who is complaining team that is loosing.

Yes the UIC not watching the game in the 1st place is a problem, but I have never seen an UIC act on the moanings of a whingy parent in my 15 years of watching junior games.

Think before you act.

Reply #122716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps UIC's not folowing up on complaints is a major part of the problem.
Perhaps, UIC and complainer talking it over and having the umps give their reasons might help defuse situations.
Rules where you cant say boo about umps is a not the answer but having UIC's who will gladly explain decisions might be.
Consequently, we need to reinvent the purpose of UIC's and accept that life's not fair. Some umps make genuine mistakes often, some are poor officials and some are average, others excellent and regrettably some cheat but players are exactly the same in that they are good ,poor, excellent, okay and cheats.
Ultimately its how we handle the poor decisions that defines us as people first and then players. Great players adapt well, good players hate the decisions but eventually overcome it, poor players lose it and cheats blame everyone else but themselves. Ocassionally, the poor player encounters a poor oficial, a poor coach and the families of all these interested parties go to war.
It will continue to happen in the juniors, seniors and in the pro's and will remain constant without change because we are not perfect but we can choose which camp we want to be in. The one group I neglected to mention was the average ability set who take shorter playing time, don't ever star,take poor decisions and make the majority of us look ordinary indeed.

Reply #122812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754