Isaac
Years ago

The Dirk Nowitzki Backstory

Everyone following the NBA knows that the Dallas Mavericks are rampant this season and that Dirk Werner Nowitzki is leading their charge.

I didn't know much about his backstory until recently.

He was drafted into the NBA in 1998 as the ninth overall pick by the Bucks and immediately traded up for the sixth pick, Robert Traylor.

In that 1998 draft, the Mavericks nabbed both Dirk and a young Steve Nash with smart trades.

But what before that? The other week, I stumbled across his Wikipedia page:

He was first noticed by the NBA world when a team of American pro stars, including Scottie Pippen, Jason Kidd, Gary Payton and Charles Barkley, came to Germany and played an exhibition game against a German national youth team in September 1997. During the game, Nowitzki dunked over Charles Barkley. Barkley saw a future superstar in the gangly German teenager and later admitted to offering to pay him "any amount of money he wanted if he would come to his alma mater, Auburn."

Nowitzki did not truly gain international attention, however, until the March 1998 Nike Hoop Summit in San Antonio, Texas, where he notched 33 points and 14 rebounds to lead a team of international juniors to a surprise victory over a U.S. junior team.
And before that?

His father was a handball player, his mother played on the German national basketball team, and his older sister played college basketball in the US. Dirk never played for a US college - considered it, but did a year of military service instead.

» Dirk Nowitzki on Wikipedia

Shaq is also a fan:
Shaquille O'Neal said of Nowitzki, "The game is changing and the rules are changing. The NBA centers are going more toward the European player. I tell my kids you won't be able to play the game your daddy played. It's becoming a different game. He is where the big-man game will be in four or five years. When you talk great big men, it'll be based on whether guys can play like Dirk or not. Stepping out, shooting the three, midrange game and the low-post game. I'm going to actually let my children watch his game."
In ESPN's Weekend Dime, Marc Stein notes that Dirk has dished at least six assists in six of his last eleven outings. Four times in a 10-0 streak, Dirk has gone for at least 30 points and ten rebounds.

And then there are the percentages: 50.5% from the field, 42.9% from long range and 90.6% from the charity stripe.

The Mavericks are currently 50-9 and on track for one of the stronger W-L records in league history. They are on a 15-game winning streak.

Topic #10622 | Report this topic

cLaRkY  
Years ago

Notice how a lot of talk of the Phoenix Suns has dropped off since Dallas showed they are a genuine Finals contender...

Reply #122687 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

notice how Nash was injured during that time??

Reply #122696 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I personally didnt think that a team containing:
Amare Stoudemire, Shawn Marion, Leandro Barbosa, Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and others would need to rely on Steve Nash to win....

Reply #122700 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

two time MVP?? not needed at all!

Reply #122701 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Nash makes the Suns compete with Dallas and the Spurs as elite.

Remove Nash and the Suns drop to the next level of the likes of Houston, Jazz and the Pistons as very good.

Suns with Nash equal 'elite'.

Suns minus Nash equeal 'very good'.

Reply #122705 | Report this post

Spurlicious  
Years ago

Be ready for it

Spurs will win anyway.

Pressure is all on Dallas and
Phoenix which i think will lead to a meltdown.

Reply #122719 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I'm all over Phoenix - got $100 on them at 12-1 after they dropped those games at the start of the season.

I think Dirk will win MVP in a year where Nash is playing better than he did in the 2 years where he won.

I think Nash being out for that week did more for his MVP chances than he could have if he played them - he showed just how valuable he is.

That said, I don't think Dirk can be denied this year though - Dallas are gonna go close to winning 70.

Reply #122737 | Report this post

If dirk wins this year, Billups should of won last year. Billups should be very upset if dirk wins MVP...

Reply #122783 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

They could hardly not give it to Nash if he won the award and then went and improved in every statistical catergory the next season could they?

Reply #122815 | Report this post

hustle  
Years ago

I think Dirk should be MVP. Nash has played brilliant but Diggler took the mavs to the finals last year and to back up with the best record in the L averaging a DD, I think he deserves it. Go Dirk

Reply #122825 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kent, not necessarily.

But wait until your two favourites find out that you are favouring one over the other!

Reply #122851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754