Isaac
Years ago

Funny NBL MVP: Sam Mackinnon

Brisbane Bullets captain Sam Mackinnon has capped off a stunning year by winning the NBL's Philips Most Valuable Player award, the Andrew Gaze Trophy, for the 2006/07 season.

The 197cm Australian, who was also recently named the NBL's Best Defensive Player, polled 141 votes to finish narrowly ahead of Cairns Taipans star Martin Cattalini (139) and New Zealand Breakers American import Carlos Powell (132). Rounding out the top five in voting were Melbourne Tiger Chris Anstey (101) and Perth Wildcat Shawn Redhage (100).
Deserving winner, plus, all the likely suspects in the 'almost' list as well.

NBL site: Mackinnon claims MVP

Mackinnon dominated statistically, featuring in the top ten for field goal percentage, three-point percentage, defensive rebounds, total rebounds, steals and blocks.

His Brisbane Bullets side finished atop the league ladder after the regular season and Mackinnon was the team's leading scorer, its most accurate shooter from the field and arc, top rebounder, and led the side in assists, steals and blocks for good measure.

Topic #10624 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought it would have been cat and he only just missed out. Surprised more of the Brisbane team didn't take votes away from him.

Don't you think the text is a little on the big side for the big red thing at the top of the page. Also white text would probably be easier to read

Reply #122722 | Report this post

Utopia  
Years ago

Would be interesting to see how many games McKinnon got the 3 votes for, cos i can think of at least 8 games where he shouldn't have. Cat was my pick too, but all the same a deserved winner especially if he can lead Brisbane to the title

Reply #122723 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Anon, fixed - was only happening in Firefox - CSS rendering difference. Thanks for letting me know.

Reply #122727 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

I was hoping Cat would win but Sam is a deserved winner. Sam cashed in this year on all of the promise he has shown and lifted his game up a notch.

Can he match the trophy to a new ring like Anstey did last year?

Reply #122734 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Well deserved by Sammy Mac!

There was talk last year of a rift between Sam and Joey Wright - this season it just seems taht all has gelled and Sam has shown what a great all round player he is - not only does he produce great numbers but he helps make those around him better. Well Done!

Reply #122743 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Agreed Statman,

Last year I watched Sammy in both games against Adelaide and I thought he was quite average. This year, the games I have seen, he has absolutely starred. May not have had the highest points or rebounds but the contribution to the team has been first rate.

Am I starting to sound like Casey yet?

Reply #122748 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

How is the voting done? I'm not so sure it is a 3-2-1 round by round such as the AFL or more just a number of people voting at seasons end for a top 5 in order or perhaps it is top 10.

Sammy Mac well deserved, glad Powell didnt get it - sure he put on some great displays offensively but the other two contribute all round so much more, it's good to see Cattalini come so close but his end of season form may just be what cost him and the limited/resting times.

Reply #122751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fair enough,certainly deserving
but i think he lacks the exciting flair or attractive style you like to think an league mvp would have

Reply #122759 | Report this post

xztatik  
Years ago

Not arguing with sammymac but carlos should have been WAY ahead of Cat.

Reply #122816 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:08 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754