123abc
Years ago

Cairns re-signs Smith; Oakley, Stewart Released

"The Cairns Rawnet Taipans have announced that centre Matt Smith has been rewarded for an outstanding season with a one year contract with the club."

"In other Taipans news, The Cairns Rawnet Taipans have announced that Kane Oakley and Anthony Stewart will not be offered playing contracts for next season."

More: http://www.nbl.com.au/default.aspx?s=newsdisplay&aid=4792

Should Adelaide sign Stewart or Oakley?

Topic #10629 | Report this topic

Jasmine  
Years ago

No thanks to both Oakley and Stewart.

Reply #122781 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Oakley wouldn't be bad off of the bench for us...

Reply #122784 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

DB5...He can't shoot. Plain and simple. He is an awful offensive player.

The Sixers need some guys who can play both ends of the floor.

Reply #122788 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Cool Jasmine, can't say I have really seen him that much, the few games that I have seen of him, he hustled pretty hard scoring off putbacks etc...Hustle we do need. I hear you though, imagine him and Cooper on at the same time!

Reply #122790 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Good move by Cairns to retain Matt Smith, he had a pretty good year with the minutes he got. Really saw some potential in him last year in VERY limited minutes with the Taipans and a solid year considering the minutes and who he came in behind this season, was somewhat hoping the Sixers would make a push for him, but with Cooper 'hopefully' occupying the backup role no real room for him there.

Stewart and Oakley wouldnt be worth touching.

Reply #122801 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

should we wait and see how he goes with the eagles in the abl before deciding that?

Reply #122802 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Matt Smith is a great signing. I was sort of hoping that Adelaide was looking at home. He ripped us a new one in the Dome in one game and he looks pretty good.

Reply #122804 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I need a special edit button.... Looking at him, not home....

Reply #122805 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Stewart must be what, 200 by now? (I checked - 37). Five years ago he would have been an ok pick up.

Please, no jokes about the Sixers and age...

Reply #122806 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Oakley reminds me of a bigger, just as bad version, of Mastro. Stewart, is done. He could get into commentary, but they havent made headsets that are big enough to fit his freak like head yet.

Reply #122811 | Report this post

Unit  
Years ago

I don't think Oakley will be snapped up quickly by anyone, so hopefully the Sixers will give him a look while he's playing at Forestville as maybe it would give us the inside track on him if he was worth picking up.

In regards to his offence, not so long ago I was reading reports on him having a pure stroke.

Reply #122836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well Unit, those reports were wrong.

Reply #123005 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stewart would be a chance at the Sixers.. he is old enough!

Reply #123108 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

123005 and jasmine do some research. Look at Oakley's stats and you'll see he has a better shooting and 3 point percentage than any of our previous 4 or 5 men. And as for him not being an offensive threat, he was named finals MVP in the QABL two years ago and scored 43 in the final to win it for the Cairns Marlins. The only reason he appeared not to be an offensive threat for the taipans is because he was doing all the hard work setting screens to give guys like Cattalini and Grabau open looks.
"He can't shoot. Plain and simple. He is an awful offensive player."

I hope you'll be watching him this Saturday at Wayville because i've seen him play here and up in Cairns for his district team and given his opportunity he can easily have 30 or 40 point games each week.

Reply #124589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thanks kane

Reply #124591 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:49 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754