Utopia
Years ago

Oakley says he wants to be a Sixer

in the Cairns post this morning Oakley speaks about his wish to play for the Sixers.

Reading between the lines he must think it will be an easy walk in as he is packing up his family and shifting here without any guarantees.

what are peoples thoughts, is he what we need? he seems like a lesser Coops to me, but may still be better than a Nash off the bench.

here is the link,
http://www.cairnspost.com.au/article/2007/03/07/2519_cairns_sports.html

Topic #10638 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

FG: 33%
3P: 29%

Stats have been stagnant for five seasons.

We're going to need better to compete, even off the bench. Would rather let Nash fill that role at a pinch and bring in something fresh.

Oakley's wife is from Adelaide so that would be a factor in their return.

Reply #122868 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Pass.

Reply #122873 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Utopia,

As was mentioned in the original article Oakley's wife has family in Adelaide and IMO that has been the reason for their decision to move to Adelaide.

I think you'll find there's only one NBL team in Adelaide and therefore Oakley would have to suit for the 36ers to remain in the NBL.

Reply #122874 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

I want to be a Sixer too, but it aint going to happen. My social stats just havent been good enough.

Reply #122876 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

Nino do you really want to be a 36er or just play on the same team as Brett?

Reply #122877 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You also had dodgy veterans knees when you were 12 years old!

Reply #122882 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Plus Roca has already got the short position covered.

Reply #122887 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Hahaha, nice boys. The knees are healing, and im dealing well with my love for Brett. It wont put me off my game!

Reply #122901 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Oakley says he wants to be a Sixes, but do we want him???

Nope.

Reply #122983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he would be a good role player for the sixers. has alot of heart! can rebound, play D, hit the open jump shot.

Yes from me!

Reply #123013 | Report this post

Mutley  
Years ago

Brings the same theoretical positives as Nash: can hit the outside shot, passes well, and is a good defender. But if the actuals don't end up like the theoreticals then he won't score, won't stop anyone, and won't contribute anything on the court. Then what have you got: two Nashs. The only way Nash could have been any worse last season was if there were two of him. Pass.

Reply #123014 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

But where are the Smyth haters?? Weren't they telling us noone wants to play under Smyth???

Reply #123016 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

He's just been delisted yogee and is playing for Forestville, what did you expect him to say??

Reply #123024 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Forestville are a good club!

Reply #123060 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

yogee...Oakley is noone.

Reply #123071 | Report this post

Cairns local  
Years ago

Yes from me.

Its fairly obvious not too many people know the value KO brings to a team environment.

He wasn't delisted either. He left Cairns.

Reply #123084 | Report this post

NINO  
Years ago

Took the words out of my 'typing hands' Jasmine. Cant imagine him making a solid positive contribution consistently...but have a bad feeling 6ers will sign him.

Reply #123088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also think Oakley would be a decent bench pick up. He has much more game then Nash. He has a sweet 3pt shot and is a great defender. He has obviously kept getting re-signed for so long for a reason.

He has been with the Taipans for 5 seasons and is a solid back up 4 man. He backed up Cat this season which is a tough job no matter who you are, If he doesn't get picked up by the 6ers he will be somewhere else.

I think the 6ers could do alot worse IMO.

Reply #123556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

29% from downtown for his career says he doesnt have a sweet 3 point shot

Reply #123557 | Report this post

Reign  
Years ago

I think it's a PASS.. Adelaide can do alot better than picking up him.

Reply #124222 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

I think we pass on Oakley, he's getting old and the 6ers need a bit off youth. If I was Phil i'd take a look at Oakley's brother-in-law instead, i played a lot of juniors with him, he's 6'8" 100kg and has some crazy hops, definitely one to look at.

Reply #125668 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:36 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754