thedoctor
Years ago

Rule Clarification

This situation I have never seen, but was thinking about it and couldn't decide what the correct call should be.

Player makes cut to basket and is about to receive the ball. In the process of catching it is fouled and by pure luck, the ball hits the player and goes in the basket.

No shot attempt was made. Should a bonus free throw be given?

My initial thought was yes, but then I thought had the ball not gone in, no free throws would have been awarded because there was no shot attempt. (unless in the bonus, of course).

Now, I think there is a big difference here as to what WOULD be called and what SHOULD be called. In reality I think most refs would just count the two and give a free throw. But should they?

My understanding that the bonus free throw is given when a player is fouled during a shot attempt and the shot goes in. Does this apply to an ACCIDENTAL shot?

Indulge me please...

Topic #10641 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Foul occurred before the shot and therefore the basket canceled?

Reply #122896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think most refs would cancel it and say the foul happened before the accidental shot.

Busy day doc?

Reply #122899 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Ha! Actually I'm flat out, and had been meaning to post this for a few days.

OK, say the fould occured at the same time as the ball makes contact with the player. This could happen and probably does a fair bit - all that is needed for my intial situation to occur is a luck bounce, so to speak.

Now, taking that on board - what SHOULD be called. Ball has legitimately gone in, but no shot attempt was ever made.

I think basket counts - as it would on a fudged alley attempt that accidently goes in. But, player was still fouled in the process. Logic says to me that the player' team should get two points and a side ball for the foul. Anyone agree??

Any refs out there who can shoot me down?

Reply #122900 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Doc,
Second scenario in a beauty: My interpretation -
Under how a field goal is made, the points will count - live ball enters the bucket.
Under the act of shooting there would be no additional free throw unless the player could be deemed as shooting,tapping or dunking - all these involve the ball leaving the hand. So the team that scores will get the resulting next play as penalty for the foul.
That is two shots or side ball. If you go by the exact interpretation of the rules. This is confusing.

Much easier to count the points and put the person who scored on the line for 1. Everyone would understand this and it's probably what should happen in accordance with the the intent of the rules.

That is, a shot for goal can be made if the ball is live.

Reply #122933 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

another intrepretation,
the passer is the shooter and the foul becomes an off the ball foul. if pass is released before the foul, basket counts and the team with the ball retains possession and points.

Reply #122937 | Report this post

Daddyo  
Years ago

If the shot counts, and the player goes to the line, does that mean the person who passed the ball gets an assist?

Not bad, if you can get an assist when there was no intention to shoot the ball ;-)

Reply #122939 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

From the FIBA Rules:

34.2.2 If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting, that player shall be awarded a number of free throw(s) as follows:
" If the shot from the field goal area is successful, the goal shall count and one (1) additional free throw awarded.
" If the shot from the two-point field goal area is unsuccessful, two (2) free throws will be awarded.
" If the shot from the three-point field goal area is unsuccessful, three (3) free throws will be awarded.
" If the player is fouled as, or just before, the game clock signal sounds for the end of the period or as, or just before, the twenty-four second device signal sounds, while the ball is still in the player's hand(s) and the field goal is successful, the goal shall not count and two (2) or three (3) free throws will be awarded.
Art.

Act of Shooting defined below:

15.2 The act of shooting:
" Begins when the player starts the continuous movement normally preceding the release of the ball and, in the judgement of the official, he has started an attempt to score by throwing, tapping or dunking the ball towards the opponents' basket.
" Ends when the ball has left the player's hand(s) and, in case of an airborne shooter, both feet have returned to the floor.
The player attempting to score might have his arm(s) held by an opponent, thus preventing him from scoring, even though he is considered to have made an attempt to score. In this case it is not essential that the ball leaves the player's hand(s).
There is no relationship between the number of legal steps taken and the act of shooting.

I think that the basket will count, and a side ball will be awarded.

Reply #122943 | Report this post

Minn  
Years ago

Wouldn't the ball be dead the instant the whistle is blown? If someone is fouled in the act of passing, it doesn't matter where the ball ends up; though of course, where the ball ends up is of significance when someone is fouled in the ACT of shooting.

I think in this scenario, the ball would be dead the second the whistle goes, therefore the basket would not count and the team would be awarded a side ball. Obviously if the ref neglected to call the foul the basket would count.

Reply #123098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754