Anonymous
Years ago

Finessing With The Ball.

After some advice from coaches. Or just opinions.

I have a daughter that has played at more or less the highest level she can. Under 14's at the moment.

Through some excellent coaching( shes had a session or two of Norwood's Skills To Burn ) and some natural ability, she has aquired a few skills.

One or two of these skills are, bringing the ball behind her back to get out of trouble. Also flicking the ball under her legs to get out of trouble.

My gripe is this.......of late she has used these skills, when her court brain has told her too. In one instance, she scored from it.

The coach has told her to stop messing with the ball.

Why teach kids these skills, if they get told off for doing so on the court. She's actually upset about it.

Thoughts ??

Topic #10651 | Report this topic

nutter  
Years ago

It's a tough situation. In the end if the coach want's her to stop she is going to have to. Although I myself see nothing wrong with it as long as these skills are being used effectively.

What is right to one coach my be unacceptable to another, therefore the coaches at the clinic may have not seen anything wrong with it.

Reply #123091 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

If she can do it effectively to gain an advantage over her opponents and doesn't turn the ball over when doing it, then I think the coach should have nothing to complain about.

Reply #123093 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

sounds like she's not to far away from the utep two step......ahhh got to love hardawy

Reply #123094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks booga.....i knew i'd get an intelligent response from you lol !

Genuine thanks to all of the above posts, apart from booga. cmon booga give it a better go.

Reply #123096 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

The skills are there for a reason i.e just like your daughter uses them, to get open and score. From the coaches perspective, maybe she might have used the move when a pass might have been the better option. Sometimes when kids first learn these moves their eyes are glued to the ball so that they miss a lot of opportunities. this may not be the case with your daughter but just in case it is you would want to train your daughter to dribble with her head up to reinforce these skills with good habits especially while she's still young cause it goes a long way.

Reply #123104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Rodney Carney, good reply.

She does dribble with her head up....she's a guard. Doesnt even look at the ball while dribbling. Looks at the play.

She has learnt to do this a long time ago. She reads the court like a book. When she has no options, she uses her extra skills.

Thats when she gets told off.

Its frustrating.

Reply #123109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ever tried asking the coach what she's doing wrong?

Reply #123115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a great moment as a kid when the whole ball skills bit comes together but like all skills they have a purpose in the big picture - and overuse or inappropriate use is definitely an issue. But at under 14's and below, I would encourage a kid to use the skills they have and then be able to learn to identify when one didn't come off and maybe they should have passed or driven to the hoop or maybe instead of passing they should have turned the direction of the ball etc., and it is only with practice / use of skills and experience that you will learn which option suits the moment. The last thing we want to see is a guard who fears using their initiative to create because that happens far too often. So encourage your daughter to talk to her coach about the game and ask for constructive advice about how to deal with different scenarios - even take over that whiteboard and start drawing herself. There is no better way to learn than to ask.

Reply #123124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stay a mum or dad and let the coach , coach your daughter. No coach tells a kid to stop doing things that advantage their team.

Reply #123132 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

We have a kid in our team that likes do to the between the leg thngo - He does it around the keyway - whilst trying to think about who he is going to pass the ball to. Other kids are cutting for passes and he is dribbling the ball between his legs - and it ony takes a split second for someone to be on the cutters so when this kid is concentraing on dribbling the ball between his legs he misses the pass - frustrating - he also loses the ball sometimes when doing this - if a kid puts the ball behind his back to change directions to get away from the opposition this should not be an issue - because there is a purpose for this move.

Reply #123142 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

IMO as long as your daughter doesn't over use the types of dribbles you discussed, and is as you have stated using it as a means of getting an open shot or out of trouble then the coach should have no problem with it at all.

Maybe ask the coach his/her problem with it?

Reply #123150 | Report this post

been around  
Years ago

come back and talk when she can dunk

Reply #123187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10651, the answer is beyond your comprehension. Leave it to the experts.

Reply #123193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perhaps she shouldn't dribble INTO trouble in the first place, and thats what the coaches issue is....

Reply #123199 | Report this post

torn acl  
Years ago

my grandad dribbled between the legs - he had a prostate problem.

Reply #123226 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

Its fair enough to let the coach coach etc but at the same time though as a player you would want some clarity between yourself and the coach. theres nothing worse than second guessing your own intincts during a game just because the coach gives you ambiguous instructions like 'stop messing with the ball.'To be honest, unless the coach gave me specific directions like look for cutters, pass then cut etc, I'd rather go with my instincts and learn from that than waste my time choosing from tons of different options what in the world the coach would rather have me do witht he ball. the best thing to do is sort it out at practice.

Reply #123338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rodney , don't you know when a coach tells you to 'stop messin with the ball' what he or she means. 99 % of ball players would except this 14 year old champion and mother.

Reply #123383 | Report this post

h0bb1t  
Years ago

first off...

"my grandad dribbled between the legs - he had a prostate problem."

hehehe i love it...

back on topic:

any coach at any level (maybe not so much mens) must remember one rule (and im not saying that this u/14 coach doesnt). "coach the positives" always works for me... instead of telling them 'dnt do that' or 'stop messing with the ball'... tell them 'great move but so and so was probably a better option there' ... draw diagrams, jump around in circles if u must, but just make it a fun-ish and upbeat lesson' :o)

Reply #123499 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

U mustnt have much going on in youre life to complain about this on a forum.....how about you ask the coach, unless youre too scared to

Reply #123520 | Report this post

Rodney Carney  
Years ago

I know what my coach would mean if he said that, not because he says that but because we have a team strategy. what coach says stop messing with the ball? thats the vaguest thing a coach can say. During game time arent you supposed to execute what you practice at training? If a coach says pass and cut or pass and screen, screen the screener etc at training, why would they turn around and then say during the middle of a game 'stop messing with the ball'. Maybe theres something I'm missing.

Reply #123559 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Remember one point:
'The Coach is always right'.
If you forget this, your ass will be riding the pine for a while.

There is not a problem with asking the coach why can't I use my 'Killa Crossova' or my 'Shake an Bake'?
The last thing a coach needs is parent/s continually questioning their decisions.
Talk to, don't shout at the coach, and make sure the timing is right

Reply #123566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rodney, messin with the ball is 'doing more than you need to with the ball' . This often means, too many dribbles,unnecessary crossovers and any general execution with the ball that is more about the player being able to do the procedure than the need for it.
I can't think of any coach I know who wouldn't have said this to a junior during their career.
Good players don't show off unnecessarilly and often behind the back passes when a chest or bounce pass would do it, are called 'messin with the ball'.
If, like the person who started the thread, you follow norwood girls, you will see examples in the 14 and 16's where the guards love to put the ball behind their backs because they can not because they have to.

Reply #123573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

123520# vc fan

No.. Not scared

The coach is young!

As for getting on the site, it gives all you lot something to talk about :0)

You'd be lost if know one came on here to share a topic!

Reply #123595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why be taught a skill, when you can't use it on court?

Reply #123596 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've never shouted at a coach, I respect them, especially if they are a great coach.
It's just a bit upsetting when your child comes up to you, asking why they cant do it!

Reply #123598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you are taught skills and good players know exactly when to use them, great players when not to!
#598 The answer is she's probably not good at it, uses it at the wrong time or stops to be photographed when she does it.

Reply #123621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah right and you would know

Reply #123622 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks.

Reply #124812 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:43 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754