Disco
Years ago

How Much Do NBL Players Get

Just wondering what NBL players get a year, say from the benchwarmers to the elite??

Can't be as much as overseas??

Anyone got any idea?

Topic #10656 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Around $20-300k. Would say that many would be in the $50-120k range.

Reply #123219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The gentlemen's agreement 'restricts' high end player salaries to $180k approx. Although not strictly enforced - therefore upto $300k.

Development players could receive as little as $5k for their efforts in a season.

Is that how you understand it Isaac?

Reply #123228 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Roughly along those lines, yes.

Reply #123229 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

How much do you get paid Disco?

Why is it when a normal everyday average Joe does not have their salary in the public eye, sports people, media etc must have their salaries as public interest.

There should only be 2 people who care how much someone gets paid...the person doing the job and the person who signs the payslip!

Reply #123240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee I have shares in companies. I want to know how much companies' top executives are paid and their boards are paid. I am a stakeholder. Wouldnt people that buy season tickets and are members of the 6ers be the same as a stakeholder in a company?

Reply #123257 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

No, they are customers.

Reply #123259 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yogee - you have answered your own question. Normal Everyday Joe's don't have their salaries in the public eye because they are Normal Everyday Joe's - no one cares.

NBL and other sports people do because despite the many far more important things happening in the world at any given moment, Australians remain obsessed by all things sport. It is this obsession that allows these people to make their salaries for throwing a ball around, or hitting a fluffy ball over a net.

Their salaries are also in the public eye in the case of the NBL and other sports as they are (supposedly) regulated by a cap and integral to a system designed to create an even competition.

Reply #123264 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

So thedoctor......if there is a salary cap in the sport ("industry") that makes making player ("employee") salaries public ok??

As far as I am aware every industry has a salary cap, normally called a budget. By your reckoning, that means everyones salary should be public...personally, I dont care...I'm on $38K per annum plus penalties...thats contractor rates...when I go permanent, I'll have a base of $42k...

I don't understand the obesession with having to know what someone gets paid, just as I dont understand why we also seem to be so anal about revealing what we earn.

We can guess..after all we know Isaac must be a good wicket when the 3rd Ferrari has been seen outside the office recently!

Reply #123267 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

1. Industries don't have salary caps.

2. Salaries aren't necessarily revealed, they're just hinted at or speculation is made as to ballparks.

Someone asking what players get paid and me answering isn't much different to Aquent releasing salary survey information as a guide for the marketing/advertising/creative industry.

Reply #123271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most industries have their wage details available under their awards / EBA (as we knew them)which are readily accessible on the relevant State / Federal industrial site. Given though that mostly these are a minimum and the actual dollars paid can vary. But at the end of the day unless you work in HR and are looking to employ a basketballer, why do you care what they earn?

Reply #123281 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

This might be a little out of left field... but i think SOME people want to know these things because, perhaps back in the day, they dreamed to be professional sports people themselves.

And maybe on some level they are evaluating the career choices they made (or were made for them by injury or not being good enough).

And Yogee dont be so precious. And thankyou for being so open and honest about the money you earn. We are all very thankful for that - im sure on other planets in other galaxies that is relevant to someone. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PUBLIC FIGURES HERE .. not AVERAGE JOE's.

Reply #123289 | Report this post

i dont care what they get paid. that is between the player and the club. i care about the effort that happens on the court but then again so does the club.

Reply #123315 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I once read a good paper at uni that someone had written about claiming that salary caps are restraints of trade. I'll see if I can find it.

Yogee, all American professional sporting teams disclose actual figures of contracts. Years, fees, salaries, bonuses. Within a salary cap. This provides some form of TRANSPARENCY (although the sums of money being paid are ridiculously high). This is what the NBL doesn't have, and this is why it makes it the professional sporting league with the LEAST CREDIBILITY IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!

All the other major codes (bar Super 14) have significantly investigated/fined/docked points of clubs due to breach of salary cap issues. The NBL Commisioner mentioned sometime this season it's not even policed.

Reply #123320 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I audited the Adelaide Crows about 6 years ago, the payroll cycle was certainly more interesting than most clients! They also had a pretty cutting edge photocopier for 2001 which was equally exciting.

Reply #123321 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

Customers are stakeholders.

Reply #123344 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

Salary cap not even policed? I don't believe that........

Reply #123346 | Report this post

surely season ticket holders are stake holders. No tickets no payola no players

The average Joe earns his 40K working 38+ hours per week or $0.30 cents a minute.
If a basketball player earns 300K and plays 40 minutes x 30 games therfore he is on $250 a minute.

Therefore Yogee at work is getting paid quite handsomely for his dribble!

Reply #123392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stakeholders are investors.

Reply #123464 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Season Ticket holders are not stakeholders, owners and shareholders are.

All business's need customers (Season Ticket holders) but they pay their $ are given their evenings entertainment and sent away.

I am not a stakeholder of Maccas just because i ate a big Mc

However...
because these high profile public people are being paid very substantial amounts as a result of their public appeal, i think this allows us the right to want to know what they earn.

BTW I have heard that Isaac, only leases the 3rd Ferrari, times must be tough.

Reply #123471 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Only for week days too. A horrible way to live!

Reply #123475 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yogee - read my post again. It was responding to your question as to why sportspeople have their salaries in the public eye. There are some legitimate reasons for it, one being salary cap rules.

And it is completely incorrect to say industries have salary caps. A business will pay an employee a salary as long the employee's position is justified. The salary will be determined by market forces.

A salary cap is an artificially imposed limit that defies market forces, allowing less cashed up clubs to compete with the clubs in bigger cities or with a bigger fanbase.

I'm not sure how you draw from my post that I think everyone's salary should go public. Merely saying that there are reasons for exagerated interest in sportspeople's earnings because we are sports-obsessed, and that the salaries are often regulated by a cap and therefore must be at least disclosed and as Isaac said can be speculated upon by fans as many have done so on here with Brisbane/Melb/Sydney

Reply #123495 | Report this post

kdog  
Years ago

just to clarify, stakeholders are ANYONE that plays any role in a business or enterprise

Reply #123519 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

ok kdog going buy that
i want a dividend from the crows as im a season ticket hold, i also want a dividend from the food shops in dome god knows they make profits, i also want a divident from And1 as i bought merchandise,

im sorry season ticket holders are not stake holders there a massive difference

Reply #123616 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Season ticket holders are customers, not stakeholders because it is their choice to buy a season ticket or walk away. No one has any right to know another person's salary unless you are the employer paying the salary. Becoming a customer of any organisation is not dependant on you knowing what sort of income they make. The only decision a customer needs to make is whether they are getting value and quality for money and if what they are buying suits their purpose. You don't decide on whether to buy a season ticket based on how much is paid to players. Policing a salary cap is not a reason for disclosing salaries publically, it is the responsibility of auditors to monitor. A stakeholder is one that makes or loses money based on things like performance and expenses. This happens over a period of time and therefore there is an ongoing interest in how an organisation is run and how much profit they are making. A customer is a person who has bought a product. A huge difference.

Reply #123825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eat shit

Reply #147416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stakeholder:
An institution, organization, or group that has some interest in a particular sector or system. Also: individuals and constituencies contributing, either voluntarily or involuntarily, to wealth-creating activities, and who are therefore potential beneficiaries and/or risk bearers of its operations
www.fao.org/ag/wfe2005/glossary_en.htm

Any individual, group or organisation having a valid interest in a field or matter. Stakeholders in higher education include students, parents, employers, the government, the community, professional associations, graduates, and academic staff. ...
www.usq.edu.au/planstats/Docs/GlossaryTerms.doc

Customers ARE stakeholders.

Reply #157793 | Report this post

MR  
Years ago

too much! they all suck so bad!

Reply #177088 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Yo whingers,...they SO don't get paid too much!!,top Aussie players are on around $120k.

That is NOT for a 40 minute gig, that is for a 6 day week, an average of 50 hrs/week, which equates to around $40/hour, plus training and camp committments, daily disciplining yourself, missing holidays like christmas with your families, missing your kids birthdays (I am not a player but am close friends with a players family, which has been a big eye opener to their supposed easy life)

PLUS you will incur permanent damage for the rest of your life to key joints like knees & shoulders. AND on top of that you only work for a maximum of 10yrs in that career...with little or no time while your playing to train for a post Basketball career.

Your average middle management guy in the companies you work for gets around the same pay as these guys, plus he gets weekends, holidays and sick leave. And if the company he works for goes bankrupt, he gets to find another job in the city he's living in within a month...the players are sometimes left in the middle of a season with no job, and only 8 other "companies" in the whole country to "interview" with, Man you'd really have to LOVE the game for it to be worth all that.

Reply #187229 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

top Aussie players are on around $120k.
Completely untrue - 2-3 times that for the top players. And that's for 7 months a year, and they can often supplement that by playing the off-season in the ABA, NZ NBL or elsewhere.

Reply #187237 | Report this post

Bballfan  
Years ago

Which Aussie players are on 300k to 500k? no-one I know, that's for sure

Reply #187941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You've just answered your own question.

Reply #187944 | Report this post

DICKO  
Years ago

"ok kdog going buy that
i want a dividend from the crows as im a season ticket hold, i also want a dividend from the food shops in dome god knows they make profits, i also want a divident from And1 as i bought merchandise,"

Dividends go the SHAREholders.

KDog is right. Stakeholders are ANYONE who hs a stake or interest in an organisation, but it doesn't necessarily give them any rights with regard to the running of a business. Stakeholders include Customers & Vendors. If you buy AND1 you are, at least temporarily, a STAKEholder in their business....Ditto for Macca's.

It also, however, gives them NO rights as to the salaries paid by the organisation.

Reply #187945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what s going on, curious on how much players in the eba get paid? Anyone know?

Reply #249911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can anyone even think anyone in this league is on 300k half of them cant catch, go back 15 to 20 years and atleast 7 players of each squad wouldnt even get a try out.

Reply #402324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ACTUALLY SOME UMPIRES WOULD EARN MORE THAN SOME PLAYERS

Reply #402325 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Just read through this thread, and have come to one conclusion.

I miss Yogee.

Reply #402328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

K.

Reply #554226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl players get paid waytoo much they deserve $6 an hour

Reply #554228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBL players get a full time wage for a part time six month gig. The other half year with the way the season is being reduced they get can do a side gig, study, etc. Pretty cruisy really. LOL @ how some portray it as so hard, it is for the cash and low level visibility of the league a very cushy and cruisey job. Let's face it even most games they just go through the motions and give up.

Reply #554271 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:13 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754