Anonymous
Years ago

Why do we lose so many girls?

After the under 18 age group in the girls , numbers drop dramatically, why?
If basketball is to grow how do we attract more females to play it and stop the huge fall off that occurs?
Are our drop offs consistent with interstate numbers?
Do we need to do somethings differently? If so what?

Topic #10711 | Report this topic

Spadge  
Years ago

boys arent much different playing u18, u20 and u21 games on a friday night is no help there has to be a night change and it would more than likely bring people back

Reply #123893 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Year 12/uni...
Part/full time work...
Parties/alcohol...

Reply #123902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BOYS!

Reply #123918 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

spadge your club lost u20 boys because of other reasons.

Reply #123938 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Stop it children or we will have to seperate you.

Reply #123948 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

I have found (GENERALLY) if girls haven't made it by Under 18 they wont make it at all. Girls know this so the ones that dont walk away.

Reply #123964 | Report this post

u21 teams should merge into div 3 womens comp as feeder - pick that grade up - free the kids on fridays and everyone wins

Reply #124011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God Booga, give it a rest already. We've heard it all before from your biased point of view. The way you have carried on I would never let my child go back to Woodville now. Don't take the bait Spadge, let it rest.

Reply #124012 | Report this post

fess  
Years ago

i think you will find that it is the same with all sports,most get casual jobs and that means mainly w/end work,combined with uni,hormones,alcohol etc etc etc

Reply #124019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

babies, they have babies!

Reply #124055 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

under 16's should be playing friday not thursdays and try the 18's and 20's on thursdays surely it couldn't get worse

Reply #124061 | Report this post

Melvin Corpuscle  
Years ago

nah, dont shift to thursday, that's when half the kids are working. you could try earlier in the week.

Reply #124062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do we lose boys too?

Reply #124090 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Only if they are chasing the girls that quit..

Reply #124125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could it be because they are an unwanted , devalued group that only make up the numbers in clubs and are not taken seriously because only creatures with dangly bits can play real ball?

Reply #124136 | Report this post

victorian virgin  
Years ago

Because chicks at that age are busy losing something else !!! Or playing hide the sausage !!! Or I don't know. We have the same problem over here. Very good topic croweaters this one !

Reply #124211 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hear the males over in Victoria hide the sausage not the girls???

Reply #124216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why? Mmm... BOYS

To begin a Social LIFE

Party... Once they start they Love It! Can't Stop

Had enough of the Bitching!

Reply #124280 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So following the logic here, the only boys still playing after the 18's are desperate and dateless

Reply #124287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sad Hey Hahaaaa

Reply #124294 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

nah the boys over 18 are playaz and not just at bball. No commitment, ladies.

Reply #124299 | Report this post

PK Mum  
Years ago

All sports have an issue with girls dropping off from the age of 14 or so. Basketball does seem to keep them a little longer than many sports. Change of age group seems to be a classic time for kids to drop out, if they are going to. Have seen quite a few girls in div 3 and below fall away because of lack of commitment to them by the clubs (ie less experienced coaches, sometimes no coach, least desirable training times/venues etc). If you are going to spend close to $1,000 per year on your sport, its nice to feel that you matter to the club concerned. On the money issue, that could be part of it - that money buys a lot of petrol and gym or dance classes!

Reply #124361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol You took the words right out of my mouth! Heheehee #124287

I do agree with you PK MUM

I know someone going through the same thing, Not only that but Stupid comments coming from Coaches(Laughing at their own Kids that They Coach! ) and Parents that have issues... (The Child within THEM!) So much Jealousy.

I dont know, but this must have an impact too...

Reply #124431 | Report this post

Michelle  
Years ago

Many reasons why girls drop off as had been said already ; study, jobs and social life. There is only so much time.........
Another reason is girls who are less skilled will feel this more (than boys) as they get to the teenage years. I think this starts at around U14. If we can offer in addition to normal comps some programs/games that are more about participating for the health and fitness benefit then more may stay on longer.

Reply #125042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

because most of the guys like guys.

Reply #125075 | Report this post

Years ago

some girls at that age figure out that after then they probably arent going to make it to a higher level and want to play out at social places maybe for fun ... or have bee nplaying and training for so long hat they just give up or have ad enough

Reply #125435 | Report this post

a  
Years ago

#125435 Agree with you but it also comes down to the club to try and encourage them to stay. Unfortunately some clubs don't think that second year Div 2 kids are worth worrying about and yes before you have a go at me I have
said my views to the club.

Reply #126016 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:55 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754