Kent Brockman
Years ago

Funny Biggest Dunks in the Dome

After witnessing possibly the best dunk ever last night i got to thinking how it stacks up against some of the best people have seen in the dome.... a few of mine are.

Cortez Groves ally oop catch from behind the back board....nasty finish from a terrible Lowery pass.

Butch Hays tip in dunk over James Crawford....you had to see it to beleive it Butch basically stole the ball of JC in the air and through it back down on him.

Bradtke as a sixer running the floor and throwing it down so hard that i swear the back board was still shaking as he crossed the half way line back into d

Nashy's Statue dunk last year against the gong i think were he drove the lane and seemed to be and adult amongst kids as he flew over the top of people for the big finish

Cats dunk on Heliwell...pure power and athletisism and i would say a fair bit of agro taken out on the rim.

any others?????

Topic #1076 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

James Smith had one or two big dunks against the Sixers. I've got one as an MPG on my computer. He basically tore through about 4 players to get in there.

I have the Cortez dunk as a WMV too. He sneaks behind Maher and Rogers is too slow to get across and stop him.

Also got one of Saville dunking over Mark Davis on the break, even after MD goes for a solid swat.

Reply #11887 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Just remembered it was not a big dunk but a big play, Dmac drive and dunk on Brett to kill our three peat run in 2000.

Reply #11889 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Issac, where did ya get those file, wing me the site if ya can. would be much appreciated. cheers

Reply #11892 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I've got a few that people might be interested in -- Vince Carter over the 7'+ French guy, etc. If you want, I can put them up somewhere?

I'll try and do it during the week.

Reply #11897 | Report this post

AW  
Years ago

How about Mark Davis over Bradtke?? That was a number of years back but it was just after a game when he got rejected by the rim. Does anyone remember? He didnt even look like he could get up anymore it was sensational

Reply #11900 | Report this post

Cheezeburger  
Years ago

yes.the carter dunk is the greatest thing ive ever seen(expect paul rees and his 3 ball)

Reply #11901 | Report this post

Cheezeburger  
Years ago

acie earl from sydney hammer and brute power dunk against the sixers at the dome.its my type of dunk.remember it.

Reply #11907 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Was definitely the nastiest dunk I can recall at the Dome. Speaking with Boti and Peter Walsh today, they also agree.

Biggest dunk I have ever witnessed live was Thaddeus Delaney, against the 6ers in Brisbane 1999 (on our way to the Championship that year).

The flush was huge it broke the backboard support, and the game had to be stopped for about 20 minutes while they fixed it.

Reply #11919 | Report this post

howdy  
Years ago

Farley's dunk looked a hell of a lot better at the dome to what it did on the replays on the news

Reply #11925 | Report this post

Chump  
Years ago

My vote goes to Mark Davis ova Bradkte! That was huge! Faked the pass at the top of the key then drove passed his defender and stuffed it on Bradkte! That got me Jumpin and Screaming!

Reply #11926 | Report this post

Years ago

wow, so many great dunks....the cortez groves alley gets the nod from me....was absolutely unbelievalbe..i still dont know how he got it...left hand...unbelievable.
as for carter on frenchie....clearly the best dunk i have ever seen...i was lucky enough to be at the game....pretty much jumped over a guy standing about 216cm. please get the tape up here for all to see...i bet it will be a much talked about topic.

Reply #11932 | Report this post

warthog  
Years ago

john rillie had a tip slam for us against the tigers (and over mark bradtke) in the dave claxton season - it was incredible and i don't think he has ever been that high again

Reply #11938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

These won't be up there forever, but here's the Cortez alley-oop and Saville dunking on Davis, both in WMV format. Right click, Save Target as...

I'll have a look for the VC dunk later on. Might be on a computer at my office.

Reply #11942 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Best dunk I've seen live was Vince in Sydney, actually greatest single sporting moment I've seen live. For a full 5 minutes after it the whole place was buzzing, people were shaking their heads in disbelief, no one was watching the court with all eyes fixed on the big screen waiting for the replay.

As far as the best dunks on the dome go Trimmingham had a few monsters. I remember one agaist the Rollers on Zeghetti which was particularly brutal and explosive.

Reply #11943 | Report this post

An under 20's woodville player actually brang the whole board/support down on a tusday morning one time at the dome while shooting around. It was by far the most destructive dunk I have ever seen at the dome.

p.s. I was very close to the action...
p.p.s...It was me
p.p.p.s...the weld had already broken so im not as cool as im letting on...
...on that note I leave

Reply #11951 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I'd forgotten about that Saville dunk on Pud....Savilles cool reaction after the foul capped it off too.

Reply #11956 | Report this post

bada bing  
Years ago

1.Trimmingham on Tim Brenton
2. Blakemore's spin move on Bradtke

Reply #11958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Here's Vince Carter. Right click the link, Save Target As...

Reply #11963 | Report this post

splinter  
Years ago

two of my favs have to be, darnell mee (when he was a sixer) dunking on simon dwight @ west sydneys old home, and that little street ball dude that played for sydney one year (can someone help me with his name?) he launched himself from a huge distance to throw it down, with the left....im pretty sure he did a massive travel too,

Reply #11973 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

James "Showtime" Smith?

Reply #11975 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Splinter & MW, I think it is actually Kendrick Johnson you are talking about?

Reply #11980 | Report this post

splinter  
Years ago

thats the one, thanks cat

Reply #11995 | Report this post

sixersfan  
Years ago

Isaac, i downloaded the groves dunk and that is awesome, downloading the carter dunk now. Do you have any other NBL dunks or highlights on your computer? Cat's dunk on Halliwell, Nashy's last year against the Gong or Farley's from Saturday night? I'd love to download any others that you have

Cheers

Reply #12014 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

anyone got anymore nbl clips? or some sort of website would be good as well

Reply #12025 | Report this post

old_balls  
Years ago

Getting back to the big throwdowns - I remember Hobart's Calvin Talford skyed for the flush right in Svaldenis's face. I believe it even made the front page of the sports section in the Advertiser.

Reply #12026 | Report this post

The Hamma  
Years ago

Could someone put up the Farley dunk I havent seen it yet

Reply #12028 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

well done.your the only person in adelaide that has not seen it.

Reply #12033 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

None of those sorry. I have some good ones that are floating around the net -- Henry Bekkering, Kadour, etc -- will have to track them down.

Reply #12034 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Correction Cheezeburger. I haven't seen it either. Call me Graham Cornes if you like, but no pay-TV here.

Reply #12053 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Head here for some clips from 1997, 1998 & 1998/99

http://members.tripod.com/~NBLonfire/highlights.html

Not sure if the links still work, I downloaded them along time ago.

Apparently the guy who ran this site got into alot of trouble over it but we wont go into that.

Reply #12058 | Report this post

dunk fan  
Years ago

isaac, your a champ!!!! i never seen the Vince dunk til just then!! heard about it but never seen it!!!!! thanks mate!!! what about tom chambers(pheonix suns) over mark jackson(ny knicks)? Shawn kemp(supersonics) over alton lister(golden state warriors) how about this one... its an oldie, larry nance(pheonix suns) over kareem (la lakers) amare stoudamire(pheonix suns) over Yao (houston rockets) kobe over duncan kobe over yao. will there be a kobe over shaq?

Reply #12060 | Report this post

post d  
Years ago

Billy Fikes , norths US import in the 90s threw down a massive alley oop REVERSE dunk against Davis and Wheeler ( south) in a half court offense.Billy ran baseline behind the zone skyed in the air and caught it with his back to the basket and reversed it over his head. Or how about his first ABL game vs Centrals (remember Paris McCurdy and Jerry Dennard) Billy had 6 Dunks in the first half, most of them on Paris. Not bad for a 6'4 guy. His college coach used to hit him with a broomstick as he would go up for practice dunks. No wonder he used to throw it down so hard, so often.

Reply #12074 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

ahhhh Billy Fikes...the memories....2 foot plant spin dunk over Willie Simmons.....Reverse tomahawk over Marc Ridlen and Jerry Everett.........mad Kemp style dunk on some poor 17 year old kid from Newcastle who propbably never played the game again.....Billy getting every dunk blocked by Sam Mac in the SEABL GF.....damn it!!!

Reply #12098 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

did anyone ever see a young fella called kendrick tyrell. he played for forestville under 18s a few years back. massive alley jam against south in the easter champs, im sure his hands were at the top of the square, no shit, he had crazy hops. does anyone know where hes playing these days

Reply #17603 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

andrew, i played against Kenny in school games, he played for Cabra for awhile, but never got the chance to play him in district. I understand he was from NT, its possible he went back home, but then again, I could be wrong

Reply #17606 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

NT! i didnt know even know they played ball up there. i heard he used to stuff it on newley everynight in their district trainings, from what i saw he was the best dunker in SA, im a big fan

Reply #17607 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

he did used to, in 16s and 18s, stuff it on newley, but what you have to remember is that at that age newley was barely scraping 6 foot tall, had half the athleticism he ahs now and sucked. and i can confirm that coz i played with and against hiom a lot. but thats not to take away from Kenny, he could throw down dunks in unreal fashion. as for NT boys, i think one good one has come out of there in the last 10 years, being Cam Bailey playing for South now, look out for him in the near future, with a little quality refining, he will go far....

Reply #17632 | Report this post

rim recka  
Years ago

please dont tell me you think cam bailey is better than kenny or another lil' street baller from there bradoen abala. i used to live in NT and let me tell you, ive seen newley dunk these days and he gets up, but not the way kenny used 2. who knows where he lives these days but that cat could fly. NT might not have the best competition but ive personally seen kenny go through the legs on the fastbreak. id happily put my money on him in dunk comp with newley.

Reply #17641 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

i do think cam bailey is better than anyone else to come from NT, coz he has an allround game. not taking anything away from kenny, i agree he would spank newley in a dunk comp, but dunking ability doesnt say everything about basketball talent

Reply #17645 | Report this post

rimrecka  
Years ago

apart from the fact that kenny made sa metro, and cam bailey was strugglin to make the nt team which i believe metro got over buy a good 70 points. kenny also won the state school champs on his own back with a lil help from brenton and nate vaughan

Reply #17649 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

a little help from BC and vaughno? thats a bit of a stretch. i played that team and it was more of a 2man show, being BC and vaughno, with kenny pitching in with some amazin shit every now and then. and cam bailey was a walk up for the NT team, leading point scorer, with a casual 25 against SA metro

Reply #17653 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

how do you think bc and vaughan scored so many points, cuz every1 had to double kenny t cuz he was so damn unstoppable. kenny woulda had more assists than any1 on that team. ps. of course cam bailey would have 25, hes playing on a team with football players

Reply #17659 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

they got assists to them? except BC and vaughn are PGs and kenny is a forward. i was in the games andrew, so i know what happened

Reply #17702 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Billy Fikes did some amazing dunks. I remember one game down at Morphett vale against Nth Melbourne when he was playing for the Buffalo's, he stole the ball mid court and the in bounder was a young kid who just stood there at the bottom of the circle and tried to take a charge. Billy cuffed it and threw it down over the top of him. It was similar to Kemps dunk when he through it down over the top of that dude then pointed at him. Huge!
Same game he drove baseline and from the edge of the keyway tried to reach around the backboard and throw it down. Unfortunately it came off the back of the iron but to even think anout it let alone get that close was crazy!
What about Isaac Burton's dunk a few years back!!!

Reply #17707 | Report this post

andrew  
Years ago

richard, regardless of what else he did, all im saying is that he had the best dunks going, thats why im in the 'biggest dunks in the dome' column, and im sure if you played on him again which you claimed you did. he would throw it down on ya head.

Reply #17757 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

acie earl from the sydney kings about 3-4 years ago took a drop step middle from the foul line and hammered it as hard as he could with his 140kg body.

Reply #17771 | Report this post

richard  
Years ago

good job andrew, showing your class again by jumping into someone elses conversation

Reply #17805 | Report this post

Aaron  
Years ago

You guys should check this out if you like nice dunks. This is Henry Bekkering from Alberta, Canada. He has some insane jumping ability. These were taken at a Canadian High School All-Star game in 2003, when he was only 18.

http://hooplife.ca/viewclip.asp?clipid=09

Reply #18914 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Matthews on Cooper. Nuff said

Reply #24970 | Report this post

LG UniT  
Years ago

oi i personally know braedon abala, cam bailey, kenrick tyrell (not kendrick) and i can say for a fact that kenrick is by far the best of them all - i live in the NT and cam bailey was up here not long ago and besides being a bit overweight he couldnt even play at the highest level in darwin, didnt even stand out once, as for kenrick the sickest dunk ive ever seen him pull was crazy - he went for the 2 hand flush and bricked it, while he was hangin on the ring he caught the ball and slammed it again - the refs looked confused and counted the points haha he was insane - as for braedon hes a good baller got some sick handles and is as kwik as hell not to mention can clear 197cm in high jump (proves how athletic he is) but cant match up to kenrick just coz braedons way too short haha

Reply #63433 | Report this post

claire  
Years ago

Go Kenrick :-) If any has an email contact for him i'd love it. If not next time you see him say hi from Claire Jefford- an old Alice friend!

Reply #84020 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754