Anonymous
Years ago

Ng at Point: Good or Bad

I was watching the Norwood vs Sturt game on saturday night and noticed that Darren Ng has now gone to the point instead of his usual shooting guard role and that Marcus Ng is nowing playing his role. Not sure whether it was a good idea or not. He really didn't seem to touch the ball after making the first pass of the offence.

I could be wrong but last year it was a weird game if the ball was not in Darren's hands. He did also look like he just might have had a bad night shooting wise and Todd Matthews had a awesome defensive game on him.

Would love to hear other opinions.

Topic #10790 | Report this topic

hustle  
Years ago

I agree. I guess Liams thinking is that if he can handle the ball in NBL then he can do a more than adequate job in ABL. The problem i see is that the offense should end with him and not start with him.

Sturt have more than enough handy ball handlers but not many gun scorers of Darrens calibre, which is why it would make more sense having him play at the 2 rather than the 1.

Young guns Vaughn, Simmons could play at the point with even Marcus Ng having short stints at the spot. Darren played 30mins and had 15 FGA, and i think he was only comfortable whilst taking only a handful of those. Seemed not to be in ideal situations that he would be used to

All IMO.

Reply #125096 | Report this post

Cosmo Kramer  
Years ago

There's two reasons for this as I have been made aware:

1) As part of Darren's development (e.g. it strengthens his case for more minutes at the NBL level if he can run the point) he will split time between the point and "2" this season. No doubt the Sabres would love to run him off screens most possessions, but that is not the "role" he plays in an NBL environment.

2) The team is looking to have a more "balanced" attack and develop the scoring attributes of others within the group e.g. Dodman, M. Ng, Bauer, Hakendorf

Internally, the group is quite comfortable with this new structure and understands there will be some teething problems as ALL players step up to their new roles.

Reply #125100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the above - I believe the main "motive" behind it is to develop skills to increase Darren's NBL potential. He certainly would have learned something going against renowned ball terrier Todd Matthews on Saturday.

I think it's great that the coach thinks about this as well as about W's and L's - shows his players he cares about their ambitions.

Of course, I'd personally like to see him go off for 50!!

Reply #125111 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

Until the L's are bigger than the W's.

Sturt won't win with Darren at the point.

Give it till Easter.
First game they will win is eastern on the 31st march

Reply #125118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahaha, Eastern, they wont beat centrals

Reply #125144 | Report this post

Dr Damage  
Years ago

I thought I was harsh!

Reply #125157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The strategy seems to be working ok,
however a couple of good wins with a scoring spread 20/20/20 between M NG, D NG and Jordan, must be a better way to win games than Daren scoring 50 by himself.
With Hackers coming back to form, they could do ok. If this is Flynn's strategy, I can see the benefit all round. New coach, new views, could be interesting.

Reply #126388 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754