Anonymous  
Years ago

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21413733-5006301,00.html

Reply #125186 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Doesn't surprise me!!!!!

Reply #125198 | Report this post

He could be addicted to anything and I still wouldn't care. Package up [insert name here] and trade for him next year, please Port.

I've heard that only x of their starting 22 are clean.

Not saying any more for obvious reasons but you should be able to read a fair bit into the above sentence.

Reply #125236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This could possibly be a positive thing for the younger generations. If someone has to get addicted, a high profile athlete may atleast help younger people avoid it. They can see that this drug doesn't discriminate and even gets to the elite athlete's of this country.

Reply #125243 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Out for a year according to Channel 10

Reply #125262 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

No, he COULD be out for up to a year. It depends on how long he takes to deal with his "Personal and Private issues"

Reply #125269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL, Bens "darkside mates" will take care fo those issues before they get much further!

Reply #125274 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Heard he is sad coz his Mrs broke up with him.

Reply #125287 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

There will be a lot more than Ben Cousins in the shit over the next 2 weeks, if he is being made an example of, then there will be a few more players around the league worried right now...including in SA.

Reply #125294 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

DB5, I have heard there is a certain high ranking Crow that has been partying with Charles over the off-season and was caught twice. You could say his nickname could be similar to the Qantas logo.

Reply #125296 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Are you sure he wasnt prescribed something from thedoctor?

Reply #125298 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

The doctor, and last year in another incident with a team mate, and a player from the opposition....

Reply #125299 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

I have heard " don't quote " that the particular crow has struck out and if he does not play this year the suspension " injury " will be the answer .

Reply #125305 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

hmmmm..nice smokescreen there Rotate on this.....if that is the case.

Reply #125309 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

It was from a decent enough source , but i won't push it any further .
All i will say is that the AFL and the Eagles have to deliver a tough stance now because the media have had a crack and will continue down that road .
The article in the age last weekend was well researched and set the precedent .
The AFL or Member Clubs will have to hang a few players out to dry or risk a complete loss of trust from their fan base .
IMO this is the biggest nightmare for the AFL in which they will spin into their greatest victory toast " we have taken this tough stance on drugs and the players have been warned " where in reality it is " oh shit , i can't believe we have to finally apply some action to this obviously rife problem " .

Reply #125311 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Lloyd - thedoctor neither confirms nor denies anything.

Rotate - mine was from a very good source and made me wonder just how badly injured a certain player's back really is.....

He is known to have connections to the Rebels MC and has in the past been spotted partying at Rise and Sugar.

Reply #125312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

similar to the Raglans Hotel incident

Reply #125314 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

the doctor...love that confirm deny line...
I have heard of a different MC from what you have stated as well...

Reply #125317 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I have also heard Rebels from a very reliable source.

Reply #125321 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

Dale Lewis create furore when he publicised social problems a few years back. Ridiculed at the time; almost beaten down with denial.
The Cousins incident looks like the tip of the iceburg at present. No, it's not only about a disagreement with a missus.
Tipping international pressure on the AFL to clean up their sport. At present they have deep mounds of high odour byproduct that's been not too discreetly shovelled underneath their carpet.

Reply #125322 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Addicted to ice. I bet not, no one but the inner circle would know.

Reply #125323 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Sween, pun intended??
tip of the iceberg??

Reply #125325 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Think it is gonna come to head like it did in the mid 80's with the drug problem in the NBA.

I think it goes on heaps and we know thing about it. You think 20 something guys with six figure salaries, fame, get any chick they want - stacks of free time on their hands - they only really train 3 or 4 hours a day. Jet setting life style. They would always have people offering them stiff.

The clubs have the 3 strikes rule before it becomes a matter of public record - I'm saying their would be heaps of players on the 2 strikes and it will all start coming out this year.

The AFL would know who the problem players are and they will start targeting them.

Reply #125328 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

the doctor , Did you not find the PV interesting also as he had a somewhat similar virus ? for about year in the 90's . Was a very down year for him as he struggled for form , fitness and health .

Reply #125329 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Also , very true SVD . It is only when a problem becomes to big that it cannot be swept under the carpet that the authoritive figures have no choice but to expose a few and claim vigilance otherwise as previously stated they will be left with absolutely zero integrity and minimal corporate $$.
Personally i could not give a crap who double drops , snorts what , and outruns cops . Just don't get caught .

Reply #125330 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

The media know who is doing it but they cant't say anything for fear of the clubs blackballing them and not giving them any access.

They don;t mind pointing the fugure at trouble makers like Lawrence Angwin but when it is someone more high profile it is all very hush hush.

I just want to know who is doing drugs coz I like to gossip.

Reply #125332 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

I can name names with this one, because I saw it with my own eyes. When Kane Johnstone was at the Crows he went to heaps of rave parties, particularly at Rush (Tivoli Hotel) The guy was happy to speak with anyone and was always completely cooked.

A certain Port player who has been in the media recently used to indulge regularly in various party drugs, often with members of the basketball community because he had many friends there. He has since gotten married and by all accounts no longer parties like he used too. He said there was no chance of being caught because at that stage (2000-2001) AFL drug testing could only be done after matches and ecstacy, coke and amphetimines are out of the system after a few days at worst. It's a product of youth coupled with serious cash and access to the fame lifestyle. Of course a few of them will indulge.

Reply #125337 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

doctor - off topic question.. are you an ex Noarlunga d3 mens player?

Reply #125339 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Forgot about Kane there...and the doctor, spot on about the Port player, he was involved in the incident I was referring to, along with 2 crows.

Reply #125340 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

Just heard out west that a another player in the same ilk and stature of Cousins will be handed to the wolves sometime this week .
Apparently he does not play in WA so who to be now ???

Reply #125368 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Interesting that Lawrence Angwin has stated he was introduced to drugs by an adelaide player, but he is just brushed aside and his info is given no credence. the media should be ashamed for not reporting the facts...another sad indictment on our so called newspapers.

Reply #125381 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

lockstock - no, not a Tigers player. You know me though, I've emailed you recently. We are in the same profession and you went to the same uni as me.

Reply #125412 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

DB5,
Lets go down the line of double enendre. There's another one here.

Reply #125421 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

only if you bring the straw....lol.

Reply #125422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Athletes hold a level of fame in a city like Perth that they don't have in a city like Sydney. I'm from Sydney, but good friends with the brother of an ex-Eagles player (this is a good 5 years ago - since retired) and we took a holiday over there and stepped into his world for a week. Unbelievable. An Eagles player in Perth has the kind of power and attention that no pro-athlete would ever have here in Sydney. They are the absolute kings of that city. They are completely untouchable. It doesn't suprise me that (a) pro athletes muck up, of course they do - all 20something yr old guys do, and (b) that in Perth you could pretty much literally get away with murder if you are an Eagle. Within my extended group of friends here is a Swans player who is pretty well known here (the vast majority of Swans ride completely under the radar here - live in near complete anonymity) and going out with him, the guy still stands in line at the club, pays the cover charge, pays for his drinks, gets noticeable recognition and attention from maybe 10 people inside the club. In Perth though, the Eagles players skip the line, ushered inside, tables cleared, drinks covered, every guy in the room wants to shake their hand and talk to them, every girl in the room suddenly hovers closely like sharks circling. Completely different world and it's why they get away with so much for so long. There is no-one higher than them on the food chain there and it buys them so much before they are held accountable when in a city like Sydney they'd get pulled after the first incident.

Reply #125426 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

that's right.. my bad. The e-mail was last year if I'm correct.. I guess you haven't heard anything in response?

Reply #125430 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

No -I followed it up with the LS, but they just referred me to BSA. I'll try again soon, when I remember

Reply #125441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(#125321)I heard he was very high up in the icebergers club.

Reply #125486 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

As the major sponsor, Hungry Jack's are proud to announce that they have just released a new meal deal "The West Coaster".

It comes with free coke with extra ice.

Reply #125488 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

upsize me one of those big fella .

Reply #125506 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The kids meal comes with a set of Eagles floaties to help you swim across the river.

Reply #125519 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Did anyone watch the footy show last night? Worsfold was very open about what appears to be a long standing drug problem in the West. He said that Cousins had been counselled by the team from July last year over this issue.

Many questions were asked of Worsfold, yet no one asked why Cousins was being picked in the side when the coach was aware he had a substance abuse problem. It raises the question as to whether he was affected during any games, even the GF?

Reply #125602 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

exactly doctor ! i asked that same question straight after the interview . Did you notice Sammy and Craig Hutchison looking at Worsfold with somewhat disbelieving eyes . I think woosha's forthright ( honesty ) ? raised more questions about the true state and culture of the WCE .

Shifty club that has kept everything under the surface .

For a career pharmacist woosha apparently knows SFA about illicit substances .

Reply #125608 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

He is a pharmacist? Didn't know that.

A fair bit of bullshit about not being able to discipline players without "proof". He was informed that three players' names had come up in tapped phone conversations with drug dealers FFS!

I was enthralled by what he had to say, and was open with that info without being pressed, and I'm not really sure why. Maybe a deliberate tactic knowing that thenflood gates are probably open now anyway and these stories are now going to come out whether they like it or not.

I think the whole league will be under scrutiny. Look out for Captain Coke to be outed in this town some time soon.....

Reply #125611 | Report this post

Sween  
Years ago

This is an example of "what cost for success". What is tolerated. What is ignored. What is denied. A shifting of moral values or spin if you like; blatant lies if want to take an extreme view.

Many people in the wider sporting and business worlds do this daily basis always to the detriment of a victim(s)somewhere. The aim for the AFL should be:
For all actions from this point be such that they minimise the number of victims.
To date there is only an increase in honesty and some handwashing from the AFL,the Players Assoc. (disgusting performance thus far)and the clubs.

Reply #125625 | Report this post

REAL anon  
Years ago

All AFL clubs will have their spin doctors working real time today in damage control to keep the game above reproach and not risking losing mega dollars in all areas of sponsorship /media. Watch it unfold - ahh..to be a fly on the wall.
The AFL have lost a lot of credibility in the past few days by not meaning drug free to be just that. So much emphasis on the TAB and outing these players on a one strike policy.

Reply #125629 | Report this post

Rotate on this  
Years ago

Doctor , he is indeed a drug maker .

Some very interesting spilling of information indeed .
The statement about the so called few " conniving players lying to him and claiming he had to believe them for without proof nothing could be done .
Then in the next sentence stated the club knew for years . If you know something ! then you generally have factual evidence .

Also claimed not to be able to judge when players were under influence , cough , cough ! then stated that he noticed a several times that benny was under influence at more than one training session .

I have found so many other glaring contadictions in his last few interviews that it does not surprise me that he hates being probed by the more savvy media frat .

I would love to take to task this man who masquerades as a pillar of honesty and noble intent .

in answer to your last sentence that is what 125368 was about .

Reply #125631 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

can someone tell me how to paste photos into posts????

Reply #125637 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Daniel Kerr and another ex eagle (edwards??) have been named by the CCC ..but...

BIG NEWS ..

an ex wildcat (name not given yet) has also been named at the commision, drug details recorded during phone taps into brian burke etc.

Reply #125791 | Report this post

Anonymiously  
Years ago

I know quite a few high profile sports men and women and you would be suprised at who gets up to what.
I think each to their own myself , as long as they test negative on game day , so be it. Drug abuse is not just a problem with rock bands , actors , prostitutes and ravers ... it is everywhere . I personally am embarrassed at the way Ben Cousins is being talked about . He is one of the finest athletes in Australia and has been for many years , even when he was a youngster he was one of the fittest people in Australia , so no one can associate that with addiction , the reason is that he works his arse off week in week out . Ken Judge has only seen one person that comes to ben in work ethic , and that is Shane Crawford .I am sure MIck Malthouse and John Worsfold could say the same.Ben has always performed in his career , and I am sure he can bounce back from this , use it as a positive for the remainder of his career . We should be all getting behind him , it is pressure that maybe got him addicted in the first place lets not put anymore on him . I have seen too many young lives ruined because of critisism , jealousy and greed , it would be a shame to not be able to watch a fine athlete do what he does best ... play football !!
Put yourself in his shoes , I have been there myself and know what it is like and that was without media pressure . I am behind him 100% , anyone with as much determination as Ben could get through it , use it as a positive and also to help other people .
Good luck Ben , you learn from your mistakes , we all make them !

Cheers

Reply #128071 | Report this post

daniel  
Years ago

hes a f**kn D*** head because now i have to do a project on him!!

Reply #135016 | Report this post

lions supporter  
Years ago

Ben Cousins will regret the choice he has made..
He has taken for granted the gift he has been given,
all young footy fans dream of playing pro footy i was one of them could have been great but took a similar path as ben.
Now i think about it every day , but the worst thing for ben is he made it then fucked it all up for everyone to see.
The probem with ben is he thinks he is better than you or me not in footy but like a higher being.

For that he gets no respect from me!!!

p.s BEN COUSINS who gives a shit

Reply #164663 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Drug cheat!

Reply #164730 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754