Isaac
Years ago

Newley nominating for NBA draft, 36ers an option

"I'm definitely nominating for the (NBA) draft."
Brad Newley is in Adelaide with an array of options ahead of him.

He's told Boti Nagy that this is the year he puts his hand up for a shot at the NBA, has an invite to the European Reebok competition in July, and may suit for the Forestville Eagles in the ABL.

Oh, and he wants insurance in the form of an NBL contract before he tries the NBA or Europe paths.
While Newley did not rule out a return to Townsville, it is likely his days as a Croc are complete. Adelaide is keen to bring him home and Melbourne is equally anxious to supplement an ageing list with the young superstar. "I'd definitely consider it (coming home to Adelaide) and wouldn't rule it out," he said.

"I've been away for three years and it wouldn't be bad to be closer to home."
Read the full article

Topic #10811 | Report this topic

Nick  
Years ago

I want Newley to play in the NBA but I also want to see him playing for the Sixers so I'll be happy if either of those things happen. For me it would kinda suck if he went to Europe (as I have little interest in their leagues) or another NBL team. It would be awesome if he played a few games for Forestville before heading to Italy. Go Eagles!

Reply #125285 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Newley in the NBA? LOL.

Reply #125324 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

What's so funny about Newley and the NBA Anon?

Reply #125351 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Welcome to HSA, Brad.

Reply #125358 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does he really want to play in the NBA?? He'll be like the 12-13th man who'll only get 2 minutes of garbage time

Reply #125361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and earn loads more than he ever does here and at least feel like he's given the highest form of the game a real shot.

Reply #125363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Id sit on an NBA bench any day! To say you have played in the NBA....well no money can buy that kind of pride that comes with that!

Reply #125365 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't think the NBA is as uncrackable as a few of you anonymous posters suggest. The vast majority of people who come in through the draft are American, but in recent junior (and senior) world champs it's not as though the US have been setting the world on fire. Newley was probably the second best player for the Emus (after Bogut) when they won the whole thing a few years back, so surely the second best player in the best junior team in the world has as a good a chance of contributing to a franchise as one of the many Americans from the same age bracket who couldn't beat the Emus, or who didn't even make the squad.

NBA's also not what it was, a full strength Philly side (sporting Iverson AND Rick Brunson) and the Clippers (I think) both got pumped by European club sides in the preseason.

So much has to do with luck, being in the right system and having a coach who'll give you a shot, I think Newley could definitely be a solid role player, certainly more than the 12th or 13th guy down the bench, but that's not to say he neccessarily will.

Reply #125370 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Would be hard-pressed to do worse than Kirilenko right now...

Reply #125373 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

billo, Newley didnt even start on that team.

Reply #125383 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Libertine, he may not have started, but I agree he was second best player for Australia at those champs.

And as billo alluded, if Rick Brunson can have such a long career in the NBA, we know it's all about right place right time. Or bloody good agent.

Reply #125395 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

or being Iverson's "boy"....

Reply #125407 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:52 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754