Years ago

Bangladesh beating India!
Ireland beating Pakistan!

Two MASSIVE upsets

Reply #125292 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Oh and I nearly forgot,

Herschel Gibbs from South Africa hit 6 sixs of one over against the Netherlands!

Reply #125293 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

No way, that catch that the Krispy Kreme sponsored guy from Bermuda took yesterday out does everything for me....then the lap of honour after he took it, he will need a week off after all that running!

Reply #125295 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

How about the celebration of the 17 year old bowler that took the wicket. There was a massive player pile on on the other side of the ground. He was at the bottom of the pack. Thank God Leverock didn't join in those celebrations.
The bowler was so emotional afterwards that his next delivery almost landed on the next pitch over it was that wide.

Reply #125300 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Based on what's happened so far, Australia, South Africa and Sri Lanka should all be feeling quite content, West Indies and NZ look the dark horses, Bangladesh look to be on the rise, India remain a basketcase, as does England, and Pakistan are a complete shambles. Zimbabwe and Kenya, the surprise packets in the 1999 and 2003 world cups respectively, are surprising no-one anymore and are on the decline. Scotland and Canada are bona fide battling minnows, while Holland and Bermuda are bona fide Z-graders - Ireland have been the only minnow to impress.

Highlights - Ireland beating Pakistan and going undefeated so far, Herschelle Gibbs' 6x6's, Brad Hodge's century, Bangladesh knocking off India.

Lowlights - Freddie Flintoff's late-night binge and resulting loss of vice-captaincy and one-match suspension, the form and relevance of the minnow nations (except Ireland), ICC president Sunny Gavaskar's comments re the death of David Hookes, Pakistan's disastrous elimination, and above all, the sad passing of Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer hours after the team's loss to Ireland.

Reply #125303 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Andrew, Freddie's night out was a highlight mate, he will be a better player without the vice captaincy...even a non drinker would be driven to the turps captaining that side!
Go Bangladesh, gotta love the young teenagers taking it to the men!

Reply #125304 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Gotta love the slogan:

"It's the game of Love & Unity!"

sung in a synthesized voice.

Looking forward to this weekends Sth Africa vs the Aussies.

The timing is terrible, it is not like the soccer world cup where you can wake up watch it & go to bed 2hrs later. You have to be prepared for an all-nighter. It would have been nice if some of the ovals had lights.

Reply #125318 | Report this post

Kafman  
Years ago

DB5 is on the mark - thats one of the most amazing things i've seen in cricket. I didn't know that guy could move so fast and I reckon every spectator in the ground would have felt him hit the deck. Incredible!

'No way, that catch that the Krispy Kreme sponsored guy from Bermuda took yesterday out does everything for me....then the lap of honour after he took it, he will need a week off after all that running! '

Reply #125334 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

any video footage of this catch anywhere??

Reply #125338 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

I've been following the World Cup. It was funny when the Irish opening batsman had 5 dot balls in the very first over and every time he just leans on his bat like a non-striker. The sixth ball he gets out. Plenty of time to rest in the pavillion!

Reply #125341 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

There is video footage of the catch and the celebrations on the Foxsports site. Just go to Foxsports Video link and then to Cricket and CWC Highlights and check out the India v Bermuda highlights. That catch that shook the Caribbean is there.

Reply #125367 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

In chronological order:

1. Watching England capitulate against NZ after being in a strong position

2. Freddy's escapades. Come on, he was rescued from the ocean at 4am after capsizing a pedal boat 2 days before a match in the biggest cricketing event for 4 years. That is hilarious.

3. Beefy Botham publicly endorsing Freddy's actions on live TV and claiming, in all seriousness, that his only mistake was getting caught.

4. Ireland and Bangladesh BOTH knocking off powerhouses on the same day, you must have been able to get odds of 1000 to 1 on that double happening at the start of the day.

5. Netherland's opening bowler steaming in for the first ball of the match agaisnt the Aussies and no balling by a good 2 to 3 feet. Bush league.

6. The 20 stone gazelle (discussed earlier in the thread).

Reply #125371 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder how the suspicious death of Woolmer after his team lost will impact on World Cricket as we know it? If it is founded - could be tough finding someone who would put their hand up to coach particularly those countries that are seriously passionate about cricket?

Reply #125377 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reminds me of Andrés Escobar, the Columbian player who was shot dead after scoring an own goal in the 1994 World Cup. Pakistan can be fanatics when it comes to cricket and all you'd need would be a crazed fan in the area or someone wealthy back home who had the means of organising retribution from afar.

Reply #125380 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

I think you'll find Woolmer's death was due to a soon to be released book he was writing on match fixing in world cricket. Seems some bookmakers didn't like the idea

Reply #125397 | Report this post

Phizzer  
Years ago

Wow, that's huge if true lockstock.

How's the security at the teams hotel then? Hope Aussies are looking over their shoulders.

Reply #125398 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Apparently that giant of a man represented his country in Junior Athletics.

Reply #125444 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Some further info on him can be found here at Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Leverock

Reply #125558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:44 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754