SVD
Years ago

The Crossing Back Rule

I have been playing basketball for 15 years now - for sometime of that time I was playing at a decent level - at a guess I have played 70 - 80 games a year across a number of competitions for the last 10 years. Basically what I am aluding to is I know basketball.

The one thing that I don't get and have never understood is the crossing back rule. In particular when a player with the ball straddles half court. Without doubt when a player stradles half court and picks up his/her dribble it is 9 times out of 10 called crossing back.

I would understand if the player straddles the half court line and then lifts their foot that is in the front court. But why when someone stops - straddles the half court line - picks up their dribble - waits 2 or 3 seconds before passing. Whitsle blows - Crossing Back.

It happens heaps when teams trap. The dribbler is trapped at the half court line - pick up their dribble - couple of defenders on him/her - whistle - Crossing Back.

It is at the point now for me that it has been called all of my basketball life so I accept that it will be called but I have no idea why.

Happened to a team mate last night. He was at half court - picked up his dribble was making a decision where to pass and they called it. He was not moving after he staddled the line - he was just standing their - you could tell it would be called and it was. I asked the ref why - he had no answer he just said it was.

I'm guessing it was coz it looked like it was. It has been called his whole life like that so it just gets called.

Is it like footy - if the ball breaks the plain of the half court it can't go back? Or is it (as i suspect) every ref has been making this call up my whole basketball life - it looks like it should be back court - so it is?

Topic #10821 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

I am no student of the game, but there is another difficult to call aspect of the backcourt violation where a team doesn't quite have control of the ball and a player leaps from one side to another, catching the ball in mid-air. I remember reading on OzHoops about a Dragons game where Rosell Ellis was involved in a contentious decision.

Reply #125411 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

i alwasy thought u could straddle the lins so long as u didnt shift ur weight from front foot to back foot

and yeah there is some thing about having to have team control for it to be back court so if the defender taps the ball out of the offesive players hand and goes into the back court he can still grab it coz his team didnt have control (left to upmires interpretation of control)

Reply #125413 | Report this post

VC21  
Years ago

an easy way to understand the rule is not call it a crossing back but over and back where the player with the ball goes over the half line to the front court then back to the back court.

Reply #125414 | Report this post

torn acl  
Years ago

if you are in front court when taking possesion you can not straddle

if you are straddling when receiving (straddling the court not your partner!!) the ball must be coming from the back court

Reply #125416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would you pick up the ball while straddling the centre court line?

Alot of refs call things (travels are a big one) if they look wrong. Ie, if someone is driving to the basket and makes two long steps, it may be called, and while looks like a travel, its' not.

Another one is why a post player is pivots, then 'steps through'. While it looks ugly, its not a travel, yet many refs will call this.

Reply #125417 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

#125417 things like this can happen in the course of the game - you know you shouldn't but sometimes you get trapped or what have you.

VC21 - it is 6 of one isn't it? I understand the concept of the rule just not the interpretation of when one straddles the line.

I can't just be "if you shift your weight" can it? It would have to be an entire lifting up of one's piviot foot wouldn't it?

I understand that they call it coz it "looks wrong" but it doesn't neccessarily mean it is wrong.

I believe that this call has been wrongly interpreted and called since Phil Smyth was a boy!

Reply #125418 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

My take is that if you are moving forward it is not a cross back. If you are moving into the back court then you will get called.

You can jump from the front court into the air catch and pass the ball before landing then you have not crossed back as the action happened before you landed in the back court.

Same thing happens with a dribbler moving forward sometimes they will be one foot on the half way line and one foot in back court dribbling the ball up court, as long as the ball is being moved forward top refs would not call it

Reply #125420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Art. 30 Ball returned to the backcourt
30.1 Definition
30.1.1 The ball goes into a team's backcourt when:
" It touches the backcourt.
" It touches a player or an official who has part of his body in contact with the backcourt.
30.1.2 The ball has been illegally returned to the backcourt when a player of the team in control of the live ball is:
" The last to touch the ball in his frontcourt, after which that player or a team-mate is the first to touch the ball in the backcourt.
" The last to touch the ball in his backcourt, after which the ball touches the frontcourt and then is first touched by that player or team-mate in the backcourt.
This restriction applies to all situations in a team's frontcourt, including throw-ins.
30.2 Rule
A player whose team is in control of a live ball may not cause the ball to be illegally returned to his backcourt.

Reply #125423 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Ah ... so when a foot touches the front court then the ball is now in the front court thus meaning if there is still a foot in the back court that foot is for all intents and purposes out of bounds, thus making the ball out of bounds. Does this seem correct?

Reply #125425 | Report this post

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

My understanding is as follows:

A player may not occupy space in the front and back court. I have seen players called on this for making a hesitation at the centre line. Any actions at the centre line must be in the motion of gaining position in the front court. Therefore a player is not allowed to pause while playing in both the frontcourt and back court.

As for the player jumping from the back court receiving the pass in the air and landing in the front court. This rule is the same as the out of bounds rule (both ways) the player exists in the court until a legal position is gained in the other court. ie a player out of bounds until both feet are placed inbounds... a player is in the back court until both feet are in the front court. (falling in line with the earlier intrepretation of a player not being able to occupy postion in both the front and back court)

The americans have a more black and white rule with the back court a player is and remains in the back court until all 3 points (the ball and both feet) are in the front court. This is why NBA and NCAA players can dribble along the centre line.

Reply #125428 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

No, to me that interpretation requires 2 separate and distinct movements, the first being from the frontcourt, the second being in the backcourt. Thus, straddling the line when moving from the backcourt should not be whistled as it is only one motion..

Reply #125429 | Report this post

Daddyo  
Years ago

A player can catch the ball coming from the backcourt while they have one foot either side of the centreline. The rule says "after" ie if it is simultaneous it isn't a breach.

The other bit that gets missed is that it is only a breach if the team in control of the ball returns it to the back court. If the ball is in dispute, or the team in control is in their back court, then the ball hasn't been illegally returned.

Div 1 game Friday night - Team A in back court passes, ball finger tipped by Team B player, ball crosses centreline and picked up by another Team B player. Whistle - passing back. Wrong - Team B never had control in the front court.

This rule only interrupts the game in U10s & social games. A lot of the travels and illegal dribbles are let go, but the centreline is strictly policed.

Reply #125436 | Report this post

grey area  
Years ago

Surely pausing on the half-way line can't be crosscourt...where do you draw the line? What if someone was walking the ball up the court, REALLY SLOWLY, and had both feet planted for a second or two, but are technically still moving forward.

Surely the rule is only about lifting a foot up isn't it? That's the only way there can be a black and white definition.

Reply #125437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rule simply put says that the team in control of the ball can't have control of the ball in the front court and then return it to the back court.

That means that if a player moving forward over the half way line stops with one foot on either side they haven't commited a violation until there is a backwards movement (eg the foot in the front court is lifted or the foot in the back court is lifted and then returned to the back court).

A player can stop with a foot on either side without commiting a violation.

Reply #125439 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Anon #125439 - see this is what I am saying - I think that should be the case. Therefore this rule is and has always been wrongly interpreted.

Stupid bloody rule!

Reply #125440 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

I agree that it is wrongly interpreted.

If you can walk really slowly over the half, and at some point have a foot on either side without a violation, then why can't you stop?

If you never "re-enter" the back court, I don't see a violation at all.

Most refs will call it because the violator will probably not argue and if they don't call it the other team will go off at them.

Reply #125523 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

I honestly don't believe this gets incorrectly called as much as people think.

A lot of the time the call will be made and spectators and players will not see the whole play and assume the referee got the interpretation wrong rather then trusting that a violation of the rule occured.

Personally it's been a long time since I've seen this rule enforced incorrectly in the way in which people are suggest; and I think I see my fair share of basketball.

Reply #125526 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

A lot of young referees will call back over the centre line violation when players are straddling the line.
They have the assumption that the player cant be in both sides of the court at the same time, so it must be a violation. You will find at u10-14 level, the players dont know any different to argue the call.

The rule is vague for spectators, players and caoches alike. As soon as someone straddles the line or there is a defensive deflection, they all jump up and yell 'crosscourt', 'crosscourt'.

Just another case of people not understanding the rules of basketball and assuming that what their friend, coach or child told them was how the rule should be.

Reply #125529 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

It's interesting to note that the backcourt rule is a lot less rigidly enforced in the states. You would almost never see a violation called if someone straddled the line or even dribbled sideways across the court to avoid a trap. You can also inbound the ball from the front court and catch it in the backcourt with no violation being called.

Reply #125835 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754