Andrew
Years ago

NH - Boof Lehmann steps down as SA captain

Officially, Boof has stated that he believes the timing is right for him to step down and, at 37, it is the right moment for a younger guy to come in and have Boof mentor him for a season.

I don't believe the SACA's spin - Boof was knived and/or pushed. A sad day for SA sport I reckon. Boof is to the Redbacks what Brett Maher is for the 36ers.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,21426515-5006372,00.html

Topic #10827 | Report this topic

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Took the 'honourable' path out. Same as Flipper. Strange how selectors seem immune from scrutiny though. They select the players then tell coach & captain to go and make it work. Something seems wrong at top. High profiler like Greg Chappell was coach for years, and look what happened. SA went nowhere and Chappell went to india

Reply #125450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whos flipper ?

Reply #125454 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Wayne Philips

Reply #125455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought it was that clever grey swimming thing with a small fin

Reply #125457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God bless him, his friends and his family.

Reply #125461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boof was not the man for SA irrespective of all the talk now which suggests he was the greatest thing since sliced bread.
He was a good cricket brain granted but his disciplinary issues are well documented and his racist remarks did him no good at all.
We make heroes of flawed characters and we need to get leadership right and to compare 'Boof' with the 36ers captain is an insult.

Reply #125462 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Boof was good to hang out with though. Always had a XXXX on hand. His outside interests for life after cricket may have affected his focus.
PS- Is Flipper Dolphin friendly? He took his family down to the Pat this week for a holiday

Reply #125476 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Excuse me 125462 - Boof is the best thing to happen to SA Cricket since Hookesy - to suggest other wise is an insult.

He had a bad year this year - he lead an inexperienced team poorly for 1 year of his 17.

The rasicst remark is the only bad thing Boof ever did and that was over blown. Name anything else bad that Boof ever did (other than go to Victoria for a couple of years).

He is a top bloke, great cricketer, great ambassador for the sport in SA and Australia. He was one of the most respected cricketers in the Aussie team. He is one of only 2 South Aussie batsmen to make the test team in the last 20 years.

You go to any other state in Australia and they would all love Boof.

Reply #125477 | Report this post

kriss  
Years ago

KG will sp-sp-sp-spewing!

Reply #125479 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

SVD, always liked him, but he was said by some in the know (e.g., from the team) to set a poor example for younger players I think.

Reply #125481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boof and Hooksey were definitely not the best things for SA cricket as there legacy now suggests. Entertainers yes, great to party with, yes but what did they leave behind them?
Hookes went to Victoria to coach, which says a lot and what has Boof left behind him that you could point to as building blocks for SA cricket?
This is the decision that had to be made and the only place from here is up.

Reply #125495 | Report this post

Who Me!  
Years ago

From an outsiders view, which I assume we all on here are, it appears that "Boof" could still perform well no matter how much work he put in away from the actual batting and bowling.
I wonder, with a really young group like SA has at the moment, whether they would be better off appointing a renowned hard worker like Justin Langer as Playing Captain/Coach for one season and then as non-playing Coach after that.
If Langer couldn't insoire guys like Cisgrove to get into the Gym, or going running or whatever i don't think anyone could.

Reply #125499 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

Hookes only went to coach in Victoria coz we didn't sign him - what is it with SA and letting talent get away.

I too have heard from someone inside the team that Boof has let his leadership slide in the last few year - you have to think in some cases he is almost 20 years older than these blokes + trying to carry the team - something would have to give.

It is not Boof's fault that SA cricket is a shambles - it is the admistration, coaches and the academies fault.

Reply #125509 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

BOOF FOR PM!

Reply #125510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SVD, Given how many African Americns play basketball here can you see Brett Maher doing what Boof did any having any respect in the game?. Boof's remark had and has no place in sport and he chose his own path. Apologising didnt fix it just papered over it.
Do you think the young guys got the guidance they needed in the last year from him as captain?

Reply #125512 | Report this post

Skudpud  
Years ago

Boof for the last 4 years has had huge problems with the selectors, they then protrayed him as seting a bad example by not sticking by their sides through their stupid decisions.

If you dont thikn Boof was respected think back 4 years when half the crowd at the MCG had "bring back Boof" signs during an Aus, NZ game, if thats not respect nothing is. Credit for a South Aussie from Vics, thats bloody well saying something

Reply #125548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Boof was one of the boys not a leader of men!

Reply #125639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The worse thing about Boof stepping down as captain is that there is no one ready to step up and take over the role. Comments in the paper that Adcock should be next in line is rediculous, he has been in and out of the side for last 8 years. Manou who has done the job before couldnt make the side this season. Elliott who played brilliantly in the one day game, couldnt be considered for the captaincy as he did nothing during the 4 dayers????

So who will lead the team?

Reply #125665 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I believe it is possible to be both a leader of men AND one of the boys, and I certainly feel Boof was both for SA. His tactical knowledge is peerless, his ability remains world-class, and above all he is idolised by his younger team-mates, which may be a bit of a problem - possible intimidation factor.

Besides his fitness and his smoking, I reckon he set a pretty good example and certainly led by example on the field. Obviously he is no physical fitness freak, but I don't think the Redbacks' problems were physical ... between the ears was the issue.

Reply #125671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So apart from smoking, being unfit and a racist he's okay.

Reply #125680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and the in-season drinking.

Reply #125687 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

No Flipper the dolphin was a lot smarter than Wayne Phillips.
Maybe the cricketing Flipper should take over the Pakistan job?

Reply #126133 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:34 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754