Anonymous
Years ago

Latest on Norwood/Mars

Is there any later news on the Norwood/Mars situation. I've heard that a group of parents has distributed letters to all parents outlining their concerns with management and their walking away from a compromise deal with Mars.

Topic #1083 | Report this topic

Carlo Bertetic.  
Years ago

Its always people who arent willing to put the time and effort into a club, who are the first to critise!!!

Reply #12022 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Hear, hear. What Norwood people should realise is that there are two sides to every story. Sure, there are aspects of the club which are in need of an update/change, but ultimately, Norwood is still a successful, viable, and financial basketball club which has learnt to live with its drawbacks!

Hopefully a situatin regarding a stadium will be resolved shortly. To those who posted out the whole 'newsletter' thing, I'm wondering how many of them got off their behinds and went to the AGM on Sunday, and got themselves elected on the committee.

Reply #12083 | Report this post

beyondthearc  
Years ago

libertine - it is the general public's nature to moan, complain, find fault, have better ideas, can coach better, play better, can do it better BUT not get off their rear ends to do so.

when they do they then realise all lot of their good ideas, may not be achievable for all the reasons known to the powers that be.

very few are game or willing to make the tough decision, and or give up their hard earnt spare time to voluntarily help their club by serving on committees.

we are (mostly) apathetic by nature believing someone else will do it, i'm not wanted, i wouldn't be accepted, i wouldn't have the time. Or simply I can't be bothered. however, apathetic by nature we all be. they still however, reserve their right to pass their often unwanted opinions.

Reply #12099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But this sounds like more than apathy and whinging/complaining for the sake of it. To spend the time and effort to prepare a written document and in many cases hand deliver it suggests to me there is more substance to their efforts rather than the different level of complaining aboout "something" which goes on at all clubs whatever the sport may be.

Reply #12102 | Report this post

You serious?  
Years ago

WHo prepared this document?

Do they know about the workings of the management committee?

Were they actively involved in the decision process?

Have the since become actively involved in the decision making process?

Are these people an ACTIVE part of the solution?

Reply #12106 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

beyondthearc - sure thing, but is this what the club needs?? Something like this would only scare potential newcomers away, IMHO, even though these people are 'committed' to the NBC. Scaring away the other half of Norwood's income stream isn't exactly doing the club any favours.

Why did they bother preparing all of this? Why didn't they bring it to the AGM and management rather than float around and make some noise about it? Are they actually going to do anything about it or is it just hot air? Personally, some of the stuff they say is VERY pertinent, that needs to be adressed immeadiately. So bring it up at the committee then, this isn't the right way to do it.

Reply #12128 | Report this post

Fat Elvis  
Years ago

Perhaps they feel that the Norwwod President/Management would feel threatened and it may cause them a certain level of difficulty in the future for them and their children.

Reply #12132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why are there still games at mars if they lost the stadium? sorry if i missed sumthin along the way but yeah can ya fill me in..

thanks ;)

Reply #12135 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Fat Elvis - that's democracy. If you're going to 'threaten' the people, then they went about it the best possible way.

Anon - MARS is no longer used by Norwood for training, the club has no more affiliation with the centre. BASA (I assume, although this word is also an 'evil' forum word! (: ) still pays the rent to host games there Friday and Saturday, 'conveniently' scheduling Norwood there.

Reply #12136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Libertine,

As the letter is in the public domain (sort of) can you provide a synopsis of it or of the elements which you thought were very pertinent.

Given the risk these people may have taken in them and their children being ostracized they must feel strongly about some issues. While they may have (?) gone about it the wrong way at least you have some passionate people down there.

Reply #12139 | Report this post

Intheknow  
Years ago

The person involved in the letter is a 'passionate' club member. This 'passionate' club member has 2 children playing, but one is for woodville? I must question his motives as before all of this he was nowhere to be seen on any issues with the club. He has gone behind everyones back to create controversy that was not needed as the people that run the club have suitable motives as to what has happened. Most norwood people arent fussed about being at Mars as its always been a restrictive place and there was always an uncertain future. At least now there is a chance to move on to a location where there is as much giving as there is taking!

Reply #12166 | Report this post

questions  
Years ago

Is it true that the parent has a child that was not offered a spot in the team even though the coach picked the player?

Reply #12168 | Report this post

Intheknow  
Years ago

not sure about that but one child plays low grades around 14s 16s or so. the older one left a few yrs ago.

Reply #12169 | Report this post

The 'instigator' had a son who played U20 Div 1 first year but was told 2nd year he wouldn't be in Div 1 with all the U18s coming up, so he left to play at Woodville.

His other son plays in the 4th U18 team (Div 3) and his daughter doesn't play anymore (or didn't, for awhile).

Reply #12198 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:19 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754