Anonymous
Years ago

Should 16-20 DIV 1 coaches share the state role?

State coaches cop a bit in their roles for selecting players from their clubs, being in their roles too long and for, in some cases, underperforming, thus this thread.
Should the state role be shared by the top performing Div 1 coaches in their respective age groups?
If you have a team in the top 4 in a Div 1 comp it seems logical to share the load because we keep hearing it is so arduous despite the fact the same people keep matyring themselves to fill it.

Topic #10840 | Report this topic

brick city  
Years ago

No, just as long as you coach at Sturt you got the job

Reply #125662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Vote for the dumbest post of the week!

Totally unpractical.

What if the coaches are unable to commit?
What if the coaches do not want to do it? Do we not have a coach at all becasue nobody in the top 4 wants to do it?
What if the coaches disagree on philosophy?
How do you decide who the head coach is? The team that wins the totally unimportant summer competition?

PS Did your kid get cut last week?

Reply #125663 | Report this post

Daddyo  
Years ago

Coaches sharing a team is like players sharing girlfriends. Everyone may be happy for a while, but it's going to end in tears.

Reply #125674 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt mean literally all share the team. What I meant was that the role is shared each year from the top four or 5 clubs so that each club has the opportunity to have one coach do it.

Reply #125679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#125662, 10 State positions, Eastern 2, Forestville 2, Norwood 2, Sturt 2, North 1, Unassociated with a district club 1. I'm not sure there is any factual basis for your claim based on these numbers.

Reply #125685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe the state selection process is too long by far.
I believe the coaching roles are too static.
I believe some of the selection processes are political.
Saying the above does not mean it is so as I am often wrong.
However, If no one is supposed to say anything critical of the process because they are perceived as having an axe to grind then looking at the situation more closely will never occur.

Reply #125688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon #125679,

What benefit would this have on results? It would destroy continuity, and not allow the best coach to coach the team each year.

Surely the coaches deemed best suited to performance should be chosen regarless of their club.

Again, what if none of the coaches from that age group are willing to give up their time? If they were, they would probably apply and if deemed acceptable get the job.

Reply #125690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

688 -

"I believe the state selection process is too long by far."

- I beleive it is too short. I think The teams need more time together before heading away to nationals.

"I believe the coaching roles are too static."

- Is there a reason for this? No one else willing to make the significant committment required of coaching a state side. or simply no other candidate putting their hand up that has proven they deserve a chance (success at district level, committment to personal growth, a desire to acheive the next level ie SASI).

I believe some of the selection processes are political.

- What processes do you think are political? Please be specific.

*oh gee - i'm starting to sound like darth*

Reply #125691 | Report this post

Vader  
Years ago

The force is strong in this one!

Reply #125696 | Report this post

Daddyo  
Years ago

#125688 WTF? A selection process is a political process.

Every parent with a child playing in Div 324 thinks that their child is a potential state player that has not been given the right opportunity...

Every parent of a Div 1 player from a club other than the club of the state coach thinks it is an injustice that their child has not been selected, and the selection has been solely on club lines ...

Every parent that comes from the same club as the state coach thinks it is their child's divine right to play for the state, even if their kid is lucky to average 10 minutes a game and the've been counselled four times for having a poor attitude to training ...

The coach is surrounded by politics before they select the first player, how can the selection be non-political?

Reply #125699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the coach chooses the team according to their performance at trainings and in games, how is that political?

Reply #125707 | Report this post

SA Great  
Years ago

Ideally the State coach should be independent.
The coach should be paid for his time.
I believe the state couch should assist all the clubs with thir regular season coaching [in a form of a guest coach]. That way the coach can get to see all the players train.
The state coach should be able to choose the games he would like to watch, and see how the players are performing under different circumstances.

The only way this will happen, is if the coach is paid.

But the problem is where do we get the money for this.
I do not want to pay any more for my child's basketball.
So we should just be very grateful for those coaches who put their hands up and do the stste coaching.

Reply #125786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it is the coaches dream to coach at state level, then let them; only don not let them coach with in a 2 year age group of the state team they are currently coaching.E.G. U16's state coach (metro or country) cant coach between U14's, 16's or 18's.

There are a couple of coaches at a well known club that, while not directly coaching the age group they coach at state level, they are only 1 year behind.

It could be said that some kids at the club in question have an unfair advantage over the other kids in the same 2 age groups as it is pretty obvious that they "help" each other with local district selections.

Time to clean up the whole metro/ country state coaching act and try a bit harder to make it seem as though no bias is shown.

Reply #125870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow what a load of crap

Reply #125973 | Report this post

BB07  
Years ago

With the amount of feral parents out there demanding this and that for there kid, it's a amazing that coaches would want to coach at all...... so sick of the whinging, demanding parent and no i am not having a whinge, just stating the cold hard facts

Reply #126402 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mm

Reply #126404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All processes should be open to criticism surely.
If these state gigs are so tough , how come the same guys do it year in year out?
#402 You are stating facts and everyone else is whinging-not sure most would agree.
I follow why the boys put up with it, but what I don't understand is why girls put themselves thru it when they have no career paths available to them.

Reply #126448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ask Lauren Jackson how her career path is going. Or Laura Sommertons. Or Maybe Penny Taylors.
I am sure all of them are making more cash than you!

Reply #126452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No 448, most of us do agree - you're just a whinger.

Reply #126456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:22 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754