Libertine
Years ago

Rule Clarification

The Junior team that I predominantly observe (it doesnt matter which team it is) has had the same situtation happen to them in two seperate games (it doesnt matter who against, or where they were), with the referees deciding upon two completely different outcomes.

Can someone 'in the know' clarify upon these situations? I for one have no idea what the ruling is, and do not have access to a rulebook.

Situation occurs when a playface is entered into after a foul. This is the fifth foul for the defending team (and therefore two shots). The referees are unaware of this situation, despite consistent signalling from the bench. The clock does not start as a result.

The play continues and the offensive team scores a three. At this time, the referees hear and acknowledge the scorebench.

In the first instance of this occurring, the referees consulted with the UIC who quoted that it was a "correctable error" as the clock had not started, the 3-pointer did not count, and the player who was originally fouled was given two shots.

In the second instance of this occurring, the referee refused to consult the UIC (I think it was the UIC reffing), allowed the 3-pointer, and subsequently GAVE the player originally fouled two shots, effectively handing that team 5 points (the player made both shots) !!!!

If this can be cleared up it would be great. Logic dictates to me that situation #1 should be followed (as long as the clock doesnt start).

For clarification purposes, in the first instance, the junior team I follow was the offensive team who scored had the 3 disallowed, and in the second instance, conceded 5 points.

This is not having a whinge either. I am in search of a legitimate clarification because if this happens in a close game again (game #1 was decided by 1 point) it definitely affects the outcome.

Cheers.

Topic #10867 | Report this topic

Rule Guru  
Years ago

Libertine everyone has access to a Rule Book. Go to www.fiba.com and then about FIBA, then free downloads, official basketball rules. Try this link.
http://www.fiba.com/pages/en/aboutfiba/downloads/rules.asp?

You need to read Article 44. and maybe get your club to contact BSA Rules Interpreter Trevor Baker.

Reply #125972 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

libertine your head coach didn't kick his shoe off again after it happen did he?

Reply #125979 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

He didnt kick it off last time either (that was a different game)! ;)

Reply #125980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

foul occurs, clock does not start play continues. correct error nothing happens as the clock has not run. sounds like refs had it correct.

foul occurs shots missed, game goes on as long as the clock starts then stops, error is picked up and clock does not start again(if it has the opportunity has past) the error is correctable. the player who should have been awarded the shots, takes them and then the ball is taken back to where the game was called up. so if the 3pointer was by the team who was to get the fouls shots then the points would count, the foul shots would be taken and then ball would be at the disposal of the defending team. or to the team who didn't score the 3pt and from the end line.

there is a distinct period where errors are correctable, game can't go on for five mins etc then error be called to attention. too late.

as some one said above rules are available on the fiba site and correctable error have their own little section.

Reply #126547 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Close 547 but no cigar. If the team that was suppose to receive foul shots scores, this cancels the fould shots and the game then continues from baseline (Defense Ball).

Reply #126600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fm. not my understanding of correctable errors. suggest you revisit them.

Reply #126611 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I am refering to to if the clock had started.

Re can revist Art 44.2.5 (para 2).
the same team scores after having been erroneously awarded possession of the ball for a throw-in, the error shall be disregarded.

Reply #126664 | Report this post

best toejob ever  
Years ago

FM read what happened 547 is right.
No one was erroneously awarded posession just foul shots missed out.

Reply #127410 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:50 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754