njh
Years ago

Phrase of the Day: "If you're...."

From Basketbawful, im sure a lot of us have notice this during NBA broadcasts with Hubie.

"If you're..." (if yoor) broadcasting term. A generic opening used by sports broadcasters to project their in-game analysis onto a particular coach, player, or team.

Usage example: If you're the Boston Celtics, you want to lose the rest of your games to have a better chance of winning the draft lottery.

Word History: I can't prove this, but I suspect the "If you're..." trend was started by Hubie Brown. I've been watching Hubie broadcast NBA games since the late 80s, and he uses the "If you're..." statement at least 20 or 30 times a game. Although, to be fair, he sometimes switches it up and uses an "If I'm..." statement. For example, "If I'm Mike Brown, I tell Lebron James to go out and win the game for me."

Former Pacer Mark Jackson, who's currently calling games for ESPN, has taken the "If you're..." torch and is running away with it. I recently counted a series of six consecutive sentences that Mark started with "If you're...". So, if you're Mark Jackson, you need to go buy a Thesaurus or something.

Topic #10916 | Report this topic

Orlando Smith  
Years ago

If you're... reading this thread you must have something better to do.

If I'm... responding it must be because I have been kicked off the single and sexy website.

Reply #126544 | Report this post

Sturty6ers  
Years ago

I you're happy and you know it, clap your hands!

Reply #126619 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

if you're... working with a power saw...dont put your penis near it.

damn..i posted this 5 hours to late

Reply #126765 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Well done 'me'

Reply #126767 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:21 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754