Anonymous
Years ago

Sixers chase Pepper

I have it on good authority that the Sixers have made an offer to the big Pep!!

Source - Current ABL player associated with the Sixers.

Topic #10937 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well you are wrong. So your authority is no good.

Reply #126857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers chasing anyone they can...

Reply #126858 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Wouldn't be too bad if we got him....

Reply #126859 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You can forget your source ever telling you something again after posting that hint. Awkward!

Reply #126861 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Pretty subtle tip-off there sunshine, glad you don't work with me....

Reply #126867 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I also hear that Mark Riccuito is going to retire

Reply #126868 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

SVD - nice. I can see that line hanging around for a while...

Reply #126869 | Report this post

rotate on this  
Years ago

don't be so sure that roo will pull on the guernsey again .

Reply #126873 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Sure they make an offer to Pepper but he won't accept it. Same with Sav.

Reply #126875 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You'd suspect as much. The offer to Saville had absolutely zero chance, but you gotta give them credit for at least showing interest.

Reply #126876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pepper would be a nice pick up IMO

Reply #126878 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

I guess that depends on whether they made the offer just to appear as though they are making the effort or whether it was all for show.

Pep wouldn't be bad, but on his off nights he is BAD!

Reply #126880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is Pepper even old enough to be on the Sixers team?

Reply #126896 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

that jokes about as old as the sixers now

Reply #126900 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Even if they're not likely to get Pepper, it's reassuring that they are at least starting to look at stayers on the big side of the team. Not players with out clauses all over the place.

Reply #126918 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

But soon they will have to sign good players rather then offer & get rejected.

Reply #126922 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Like I've been saying, the free agent pool is drying up. Pigs, Blaze, Hawks have close to blank canvases.

If Adelaide are going for Newley and Schenscher, that makes it quite hard for them to approach alternatives. Why would a Liam Rush come here if he knew our first priority was Newley?

Reply #126926 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Exactly Isaac. Sixers still need:

Starting C
Backup C (Cooper resigned with Sixers???)
Starting PF (Ballinger)
Starting SF
Backup PF
Backup SF (Hope Nash is released)

to go with Davidson, Maher, Ng, Sutton

Sixers still have alot of players to go after rather than Newley and Schenscher.

Reply #126933 | Report this post

raytri  
Years ago

Have to agree Isaac, chsing Newley & Schenscher looks good in the news but are really worth waiting for if it means losing worthwhile free agents. And at the end of the day if we did sign them with all the out clauses, how long would we actually keep them. Maybe Phil should be looking for more permanent prospects

Reply #126938 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Maybe the 36ers should be offereing contracts to guys like Rush and Melmeth aswell and if they accept that may mean we would no longer be in position to chase atleast one of Schenscher or Newley if not both. I say pros and cons to this, pros if we get Melmeth and Rush it gives us a more stable team and those 2 along with Maher and 2 imports would make a pretty good starting 5, how ever imagine the uproar if Newley were to a few weeks later decide to play NBL, first preference being 36ers (purely hypothetical) but we had signed Rush and Melmeth and could no longer afford him so he went and played for a rival club. I guess another option there could be sign Melmeth, Rush and only have 1 import and still fit Newley in.
So yea, i think we should definatly be chasing other players aswell, and hope to sign at least one, and if we got really lucky and signed say Melmeth, Rush, Schenscher and Newley, we could go with no imports or 1 import(maybe a cheaper 1 off the bench)fit them all in and still have a really good team. Heres hoping for a really good 2007/08 Roster

Reply #126950 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Would a team along the lines of

C Schenscer
PF Melmeth
SF Ballinger (or import SF)
SG Newley
PG Maher

6 Rush
7 Davidson
8 Sutton
9 Dodman
10 Rookie or cheap PF (ideally would be a guy like Matt Knight)

be possible under the caps???

Reply #126953 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

jonno Ng has signed a new deal so he would be the 10th player

Reply #126958 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Jonno, I don't think Matty Knight would play as the 10th man, let alone behind Dodman.

I have a question. Are fans really happy that we're going after Newley and Luke? Of all the guys the Sixers could be going after, these two are the least likely to be playing in the NBL next year, yet we seem to chasing them the hardest.

Reply #126965 | Report this post

thomo  
Years ago

im happy they are chasing hard mainly because it shows a bit of redemption in the newley instance and pro active in the luke chasing,

saying that putting all your eggs in 1 basket is risky extremely risky

but saying that who knows what plan b or c involves maybe they are just using this as there smoke screen of who they are really interested as eluded to by a couple peeps on ozhoops

Reply #126974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty four, or it is told to the media that the sixers are chasing them so much

Reply #126976 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

mainly Phil who has been saying that anon

Reply #126979 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

oops i forgot to add Ng, well it looks as if our bench is fairly settled with say Cooper, Davidson, Ng to start with we just need a couple of forwards off the bench, worse case guys like Dodman, Hambour, or even Majstro or Oakley might get a look in, but i hope they explore other options first for atleast one of the spots. The Current bench seems ok, but nothing spectacular, heres hoping they put together a awesome first 5

Reply #126980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, my 15 year old son currently has an offer from the sixers before him; however we wont be taking it as the average age of the team will still be 37.

Reply #127020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

far out that was not even close to funny

Reply #127028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pepper saying no to the sixers will surely add salt to their wounds.

Reply #127089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dodman should not be considered a sixer. He is not up to standard.

Reply #127101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac......why would chasing Newley have an effect on the signing of Rush? They play different positions and wouldnt it depend on the contract and players in a team? If I was a young guy with some potential I would want to play alongside the best provided I was getting accomodated for financially. You play with the best guys and you increase your chances of a championship and with the scouts out looking at people like Newley may see something in you at the same time, helps get your name out there in the world of basketball!!!

Reply #127148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Depends what position they're playing - they could both share the SF spot. And minutes are important to young players.

A Khazzouh, were he available, might not want to get stuck behind Schenscher and Cooper, for example.

Reply #127155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac.....I would have thought you would play Maher at PG, Newley at SG, Rush at SF, Ballinger at PF and Schenscher/Import at C??

Reply #127182 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Obviously I've confused my example - I'm just saying that the approach has a downside. Imagine Melmeth wants to start and they're offering him a job at C. Meanwhile, he's thinking "wait a minute, they really want Luke and what if that comes through?"

Reply #127183 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see what youre saying now Isaac......guess its all in the way they approach the players and sell the deal??

Reply #127187 | Report this post

Qlder  
Years ago

I hardly think Khazzouh would be stuck behind Cooper,he's already twice the player Cooper will ever be.

Reply #127281 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:07 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754