Anonymous
Years ago

Talking Hoops - not on?

talking hoops not on during nbl offseason?

Topic #11008 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

It's taking a break. Possibly due to lack of sponsorship. Can't remember the details.

Reply #127646 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Paul Bell or any others in the know read this thread, they might like to give some details. All that has been posted on this subject still does not give an indication as to whether its coming back or not and if/when. Some information if available on methods of trying to bring the show back would be good so as to involve anyone who might be interested in helping.

Reply #127672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for your interest people,

Our contract came to an end in Feb and the station are happy for us to continue however about $8k per year is needed from sponsors to pay for the air time.

UNfortunately I dont have as much time anymore to source sponsors with MVP being busy and also with my job at Crown Relocations.

I approached the Sixers/Lightning/BSA to see if they wanted to share the costs to promote their sponsors and to also provide their players with a chance for media training (could rotate appearances in studio etc). Would have been only clubs in country with own show.
BSA would have got exposure in off season of national leagues due to more of a focus on ABA.
At this stage they have no interest however.

Cheers

Paul Bell

Reply #127681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wake up Mal and Vince, for $4,000 each think of the extra exposure the players can begin to get. Plus they can add value to sponsors by giving them plugs.

Reply #127696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Limited ratings and no chance to onsell advertising that doesn't reach people.

Reply #127698 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

127698, Paul Bell might come over and kick me in the shins, but I dare say you are correct.

Reply #127712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they advertised it properly on game nights and to sponsors etc it would be different. Where else and in what other sport do you get someone like Brett Maher giving up his time to host an hour and a half show on a weekly basis.

Reply #127722 | Report this post

Jonno  
Years ago

Yea, i would of thought it would have been a good way for the 36ers and lightning to promote there clubs, and in turn the clubs could also advertise the show on their websites and at game nights which would bring in more listeners!
Heres hoping it is possible to get the money so Talking Hoops can get back on the air!!
Thanks to Paul Bell, Brett Maher and all the others who have hosted the show for there efforts!

Reply #127727 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Is there an indication of numbers that listen to the show. Even people who are simply entertained by the program may be interested in paying a small subscription to it and hopefully making up the $8K. Just a thought.

Reply #127747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

8k divided by you and jonno is 4k each ..

Reply #127748 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon #127748 if there's just Jonno & I interested, then why in the hell do all the other posters bother commenting and wasting people's time with false interest. Its not just this thread, there's been others since the show stopped.

Reply #127760 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

The show is brilliant and lots of people would love it but the problem is that nobody knows it exists. The only reason I know about it is because I go on this forum. We need a bit of advertising at 36ers, Lightning and ABA games. Surely those teams wouldn't charge for advertising if it's for promotion of the game. If it's impossible to get it back on the radio couldn't it just be broadcast over the internet? Paul, can you tell us all what kind of ratings the show pulls in, I would be very interested to know.

Reply #127807 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

I listen to it.

;)

Reply #127826 | Report this post

Keefy  
Years ago

Unfortunately I don't get a chance to listen to it as I play sport on Tuesday nights. Thank god for people's write ups and comments about the show. Without those I wouldn't know what has happened. How many people can't pick up Coast FM on their stereos at home. And how many people can't listen to it online as they may only have a dial-up connection. When I can listen, i listen to it online. Great show and informative. Hope it can continue.

Reply #127828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about a donation or sponsorship from each ABA club + 6rs + lightning? $700 each sees it covered.

Each week have a male and female guest from a CABL club on, plus a 6r and Ltng player. Or, say each of the clubs gets one whole night devoted to them for Juniors and Seniors and their sponsors, plus the usual wrap up of CABL and NBL news etc. That way we promote local clubs and our national teams.

Reply #127833 | Report this post

Kev  
Years ago

Don't forget that $8k only covers the airtime (based on the numbers posted by Paul Bell), and not the time spent by Paul & Brett (and other guest hosts) in the studio actually hosting the show.

Probably $800-$1000 per club would ensure a much more financially stable show.

Reply #127839 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What return on investment would a club get? Another $10K that the clubs can throw down a pit for Paul Bell and co.

The ratings are low and nobody wants to sponsor it. Doesn't that say enough.

The people who listen are already involved in basketball and are not likely to move to another club, and pay fees so that clubs can justify the expence, just becasue they listen to talking hoops.

Great idea. Just not necessary.

Reply #127848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kev, you want broke and near broke clubs to fund a radio show that only a small minority of basketball followers listen too. I'm sure any amount of 'spare' money clubs have could be put to better use, e.g. improving lighting, floors, and surroundings.

Reply #127849 | Report this post

123abc  
Years ago

Ten clubs put in $750 and the Sixers and lightning put in $750 each then you get $9,000

Hoops SA posters donate a few bucks each and suddenly we have $10,000 more than enough.

Reply #127852 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

abc123, Once again we disagree. What does the clubs especially the juniors who fund this benefit from putting money in it. Why should the clubs put in the same amount as the sixers/lightning, who have much bigger budgets, and that benefit the most from it. I have heard it only once and must say that it all revolved around the NBL then the WNBL. Hasn't the clubs put enough money into sixers etc for no return? Basketball should be trying to promote the game by other means not a radio station that no body listens to.

Reply #127853 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Why not just put the show on the internet???? Surley that would be cheaper. Are there costs involved with putting it on the net?

Reply #127879 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Nick, no good for me, its too difficult walking 7kms carrying a computer around, its easier to listen to it through my mobile phone. Just joking, the important thing here is that if people are interested enough to keep the show going, they will make a small contribution towards it. Its a user pays system, the fairest way to go. The trouble is, its difficult to police who the users are.

Perhaps a suggestion to Isaac is to charge people for using this forum and putting the money towards Talking Hoops. After all, everyone who uses this forum is entertained by it otherwise they wouldn't be here.

Reply #127895 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

I still think that if there is no chance of getting the show back on the radio that broadcasting it on the net is the way to go. Sure, that wouldn't be as good as listening to it over the radio but having Talking Hoops over the net is better than nothing. For those of you that can't get to a computer when the show is on you can always download a copy of the show from Jonno (providing he's willing to do that again).

If the show ever gets back on the air I think we should put up flyers for Talking Hoops on notice boards at club stadiums and at the Dome. Surely the people at the club stadiums and at the Dome wouldn't have any problem with this as it's promoting the game. We could also probably get it a mention in club newsletters. Like I've said before there are plenty of people that would listen to the show but don't know about it so a bit of publicity amongst basketball folk could go a long way. But I mustn't get ahead of myself because none of this can happen unless the show comes back because, obviously, you can't try and make something more popular if it doesn't exist.

Reply #127896 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Agree with those saying that the clubs can't be asked to support it unless there was a strict divide between funding for/from juniors and seniors - and that's the material of dreams.

Also agree with those suggesting that the format goes to the net to remove the costs - not quite the same and hard to convey the personality of it without using audio, but a lot cheaper.

EC, can't see how charging my audience to fund a radio show of interest only to a subset would work in any way at all.

Reply #128148 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:05 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754