Anonymous
Years ago

One Armed Basketball Player

Inceredible basketball video - check this dude out

Video on YouTube

I started at the age of 13, and also made my first basketball team as a shooting guard at Rosemount high school, Practice 1.5 hours befor school, .45 hour during school, 2 hours basketball after school, then 4 hours at home, my goal was making 1000 shots threw the Rim per day

Topic #11043 | Report this topic

billo  
Years ago

Wow, that's pretty impressive, he's a bit like a right handed Ricky Grace.

Reply #128153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard he's pretty harmless tho...

Reply #128164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I used to play juniors (up to U14s when I changed clubs) with a girl with only one arm. She had a half arm on her left, but was one of the best players on our team. It didnt matter what the opposition did, they couldnt stop her. Admittedly we were only young then, but it does go to show that if you really want to do something that it is completely possible.
This girl used her stump on her left arm to manage single dribble crossovers, she could support the ball with it to shoot and do layups etc. Nothing would get in her way.

Looking back - really inspirational. Though you don't really appreciate things like that when you are 10 years old.

Reply #128168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I was friends with a guy in college named Matt Haven who wasn't playing ball at my college, but did play 2 years at a JC. He was a lefty whose right arm was amputated at the elbow. He would put a sock on the end of his right arm to reduce the friction on his shot. This combined with his flawless lefty shooting technique, considerable athleticism and superhumanly strong left hand made him a formidable opponent on the floor. He said the toughest part about being left side dominant was maintaining a balance in strength and muscle on his right side, which led to some of the most inventive weightlifting techniques I've seen. He would get a 20kg dumbell in his left hand and to balance out would take a 20kg plate from the benchpress rack and wedge the fleshy stub of his right arm through the hole in the centre and proceed to crank what was essentially a set of dumbell chest press. It reached the point with Matt that anyone who knew him would eventually completely forget that he didn't have a right arm.

Reply #128252 | Report this post

Dana  
Years ago

Probably never gets pinged for 'hooking'. ;)

Reply #128278 | Report this post

I thought this thread was going to be about an individual player with a shotgun?

Reply #128347 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

I once played against a guy who had a normal upper body but maybe 1 ft long legs. So he was maybe 4ft - he wasn't a midgit or a dwarf he just had weird legs. Anyway - unstopabble.

He had stacked his torso - he was massive - like Chris Blakemore big. You couldn't guard him coz he would dribble 6 inches from the ground - he was so strong and could use his body at weird angles. It may sound werid but he could get his shot off - could rebound - play D.

I guess it is just one of things that you do the best with what you got - he probably worked 10 times harder than anyone so he could play like an abled body player.

Reply #128631 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Hoops SA welcomes this guy as the newest member of the one-armed hoopsters club.

(Beware: link contains quite a graphic pic for such a highly-visible site.)

Reply #128645 | Report this post

Uwe Blab  
Years ago

Rumor is he has signed with townsville...

Reply #128651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His mates call him the one armed bandit!

Reply #128879 | Report this post

one armed fan  
Years ago

i got one arm and i cant do nearly as good as him. i would give u 2 thumbs up but kinda got a problem. :)

Reply #178759 | Report this post

Bballer  
Years ago

there are quite a few players going around in both junior and senior comps with just 1 arm. Many examples in Melbourne.

Reply #178771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:23 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754