Anonymous
Years ago

Age Cut Off's

Can someone please tell me the cut off point when a child has to move to a higher grade, and is it the same statewide ?

Topic #11072 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The age for this year is December 31st 2007. The 2008 basketball year starts in October 2007 (3 months before the start of calendar year) at which point the age cut off is December 31st 2008. This is the same all over Australia except some comps in Vic Country. It is the same all over the world for FIBA age competitions.

Reply #128681 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

The cutoff for each grade is Dec. 31st.

For example, a current U14 would have to be born in either 1995 (turning 12 this year - they'd be a 1st year) or 1994 (turning 13 this year - they'd be a 2nd year).

So the rule is, basically, you must be under the age of the age group you're playing in for the entire year.

It's the same in all BSA competitions, however, some country associations may have slightly different rules (I'm not sure?).

Reply #128684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont quite understand.

But does that make it possible, for example.....an 11 year old boy, playing under 12's, and then to turn 12 whilst he is in under 12's. ( be 12 years old and playing under 12's)

Reply #128687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apologies Hoop Addict you got in before me, your post explains it to me.

Thanks for replys.

Reply #128689 | Report this post

DaddyO  
Years ago

No, a child turning 12 this year is an under 14. "Under 12" means there are no 12 year olds in that division.

Reply #128690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No that is not possible because if he has turned 12 he will be 12 on Dec 31st 2007 and he will not be eligible.

The situation that many people question is why in October to December, a 9 year old with a birth date in this period must play Under 12's, not Under 10's. The answer is that he will only ever be playing against players who are at most 2 years older than him, even if he is in the worst case born on December 31.

The moral of the story is mothers if you are giving birth on New Year's Eve wait until midnight!

Reply #128691 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Yes mothers to be. Just like your kid in a basketball game. As is with you and your partner timing is everything! So please consider this before doing the deed. Thank you.

Reply #128698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOL! Like to see the male partner hold off for the right timing!! Sure the "mum" will have no troubles..... some1 pass the panadol please!

Reply #128704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754