Anonymous
Years ago

2007 National Junior Classic

Anyone got any info on how teams are looking in the lead up to the Victorian Classic? Here's an idea of how the different age groups are shaping up in the boys comp.

U-12 Boys:

The top 3 Vic teams are Bulleen, Frankston, Dandenong, and Knox. All three are solid teams but none are unbeatable. Prediction is that at least 2 of these teams fill the semi final spots, maybe with interstate teams filling the other 2. There won't be a dominant team in this age group like Weribee last year who were miles above the rest.

U-14 Boys:

Weribee definately the favourite in this comp, with Knox not far behind. Sandringham and Eltham will also be contenders as will some interstate teams. Just can't see anybody stopping the Weribee boys though.

U-16 Boys:

Dandenong heavy favourite hear, although Sturt will definately challenge. I hear they are regaining a kid who quit for footy who dominated u-14 nationals. Melbourne Tigers also strong in this age group, but I predict a Dandy-Sturt final.

U-18 Boys:

Sandringham probably the favourites in this group. Sturt will aslo be contenders, as will Frankston, Dandenong and Nunawading. I predict that Sandy will meet one of those teams in the final. I wouldn't write the other sides off though, as Sandy's key players are bottom age.

Anyone got info on the girls comp?

Topic #11074 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

U16 Boys - don't be so quick to write off the lesser VC teams. Afterall, Sturt only just got over West Adelaide at the Easter Classic who themselves only narrowly defeated an undermanned and undersized Waverley side that is currently bottom of VC with a 0-4 record!

Reply #128888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget that both West & Sturt were missing key personnel over the weekend, too.

Reply #128895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lets just remember that sandrigham did not live up to expectations in the recent easter classic weekend in the u/18boys.
Sandringham will cause no teams trouble, frankston will be the team to beat over there with sturt again contenders from SA.
I am predicting that there may be some dark horses from SA that will cause a few upsets and give some quality sides a run for their money

Reply #128899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Live up to whose expectations? They were without their best player (and one of the best U18s in the country, even as a bottom age) & still knocked off the eventual champs by 12 in the round games.

They just ran into a hot shooting SASI team & it killed their chances.

Don't forget, Sandy did take out the Eltham tourney.

I don't think they'll be runaway winners, nor overwhelming favourites, but they're bound to be around the mark, I'd say.

Reply #128902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They just ran into a hot shooting SASI team & it killed their chances.

No, their inept coach killed their chances. His arrogance at not even taking into account the possibility of losing their last pool game, and not knowing his "magic number" to still qualify is laughable. I feel for the players, it is not their fault that their starters were sitting whilst they gave up late baskets to SASI, and for such a good team they deserve better!

Reply #128913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would their inept coach rule them out of contention for a classics title?

Is it terrible form for the coach to not know the split? Absolutely. Would I write them off from classics contention because of it? Nope.

Although, perhaps their chances would increase if their U14s fail to qualify for classics...

Reply #128926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And also - would one of their main rivals coach be any better in the Frankston bloke?

He had his starters resting well into the 4th term, in the belief it was the 3rd quarter.

Some smart cookies floating around...

Reply #128928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could anyone from victoria help me with this question.

For the classics......after what round in champianship do they pick who goes through to the tournament.
And what do you have to be ranked on the ladder to go through like is it the top 3 or the top 4?

Reply #129092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know for sure that it is top four from each pool, making eight teams in total from vic. I'm not 100% on the round though. I know there are normally complaints that some teams have had easier fixtures, eg, haven't had to play the top team, so I think it is somewhere near round 7 or 8 that the classic spots are decided

Reply #129093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon (#129093)

Thanks a heap mate.....been a brillant help. cheers

Reply #129094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If any one knows exactly what round they pick the teams to go to the classics could you please let me know?

Thanks

Reply #129098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ROCKETS WILL DOMINATE

Reply #129254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In what male or female, and what age group.

Reply #129307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone heard of Dante Exum from Weribee, supposed to be one of the best juniors in the country. Son of Cecil.

Reply #129424 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Anon #129098,

Last year it was definitely after round 7, and this year that weekend coincides with SA's state champs weekend, so I'd suggest all teams will be taken from their ranking at that weekend.

To me, it'd make more sense to do the Vic seedings after round 9 (since teams would have then played everyone once in their VC pool). Round 9 will be played on May 18th, so that'd mean they's still be able to get the draws out 2-3 weeks in advance of the Classics.

Reply #129429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where are the interstate sides coming from to make the semi's in U12 Boys?

Sturt struggled at Eltham/Dandenong to start with. At the Norwood tournament, Blackburn, Melbourne and Eltham finished in the top 3 with the SA teams trailing behind. None of those 3 are supposedly ranked in your top 4 Victorian teams. i fail to see how tey will realistically make up the difference on the top Victorians.

Agreed though, that the 4 mentioned Victorian sides are reasonably even although if you were to take the Australia Day tournament into account Bulleen defeated Frankston by a comfortable margin if i remember correctly.

In U14 Boys Eltham only just recently defeated Werribee so keep that in mind.

Reply #129692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think you will find most years the Victorian sides are selected after Round 9 when everyone has played each other oncein their conference.

Last year was different due to the Commonwealth Games shuffling our fixture dates around meaning round 9 was only 2 or so weeks before the Classic.

Reply #129697 | Report this post

Vic  
Years ago

Perhaps a Sydney based team might make the trip in U12s? Sutherland (who are middle of the road in Sydney) played at Eltham but if one of their top teams (Norths or Hills it seems) were to play they might challenge?

Personally, I'd suggest Bulleen, Frankston & Knox are a level above the rest of the comp in Vic, and that 4th spot will really be up for grabs.

Reply #129811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This statement is true I presume that you are talking under 12's But just remember there are two teams that did and can bet beat those two teams With or with out players?

anonymous
Don't forget that both West & Sturt were missing key personnel over the weekend, too.

Reply #130300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did you want to make that a little clearer?

Which 2 teams beat which 2 teams in U12s?

Sturt looked disappointing in January but would be interested to know if they were missing players then as well as during the Easter tournament. Should prove to be a solid competition.

All that talk about Werribee and they have lost another game on Friday night! The younger age groups should be full of top games!

Reply #130369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So far this year Sturt is looking disappointing in both Under 12 and Under 14 boys compared to last year.

Lets hope it is temporarily and they can lift again to the same standards as last years teams.

Reply #130373 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Show it anyway
Under 12's
Lets put it this way strut did have players out true, and west's best player was injured the point is southern beat them both with injured kids to.

Let's just see how the winter season unfolds.

Reply #130457 | Report this post

Moose 40  
Years ago

werent sturt full strength? they had 10 players when they played us.

state champs will be interesting. southern and west would have to start favourites, then sturt and even norwood could possibly compete.

Reply #130489 | Report this post

Mushroom  
Years ago

Anyone "in the know" about how SA teams will qualify for Nationals - do they need to come 1st or 2nd can they come 3rd?? in State Champs or is it based on classics results? and if based on calssics how far would they have to get to qualify a team

Reply #130576 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Mushroom

Nationals qualifying is based on State Champs results.

Reply #130578 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

For U14 nationals? Top 2 from State Champs. So the semi's are the REAL GF's on that weekend.

Reply #130580 | Report this post

Mushroom  
Years ago

Thanks guys does classics come into the equation at all - eg if a team came third in SA but then did better at Classics than 1st and 2nd finishing at State CHamps?

Reply #130581 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Nup - has no bearing on who goes to Nationals.

For example, the Westies team from '05 were undefeated (from memory - that detail may be wrong) until State Champs semi's, where Norwood knocked them off, and qualified for Nationals.

West went on to collect bronze at Classics (defeating eventual Nationals champ Sturt in the 3/4 playoff).

SA were granted 3 spots for the boys in 06, since Sturt won the year before. The winning state is granted an extra nomination, as is the host state (though, again, as was the case in '05 the club hosting it gets that extra spot, so Westies missed out there, too).

Reply #130588 | Report this post

Mushroom  
Years ago

Hoop Addict - thank you - there is a lot resting on the upcoming state champs then it will be interesting and I am sure some great games in the Championship grades will be played

Reply #130608 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The accepted teams are now listed on the vjbl.com.au website

Reply #133403 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:32 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754