Anonymous
Years ago

SA country-a toothless tiger

Anyone who doubted that SA country was anything but a self interested unnecessary organization should read the BSA strategic plan and its opinion of SAC.
Having a psyeudo second peak body they simple replicate unnecessary infrastructure when the one body BSA could do it all and the salaries they save could go into basketball not pockets.
They contribute ziltch to district basketball but get all the benefits of our competition. Time for them to close down and for BSA to be just that Basketball South Australia.

Topic #11083 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

another sour metro parent who's kid's lost their spot to a country player.

Reply #128924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA COUNTRY Serves a purpose just as NSW/Vic Country does.
If they were not separate they would be pilfered by the Metro ssytem and left alone to survive if not veiwed as important.

In all States lots of Good country athletes are found and developed.

Reply #128932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You tool.

How much exactly does district basketball contribute to country associations exactly? By letting a few players play in the competition?

Have you considered what they (SAC) contribute to basketball in South Australia, not just one competition within it (district)? How about the contribution to all the country associations within it, or the countless development squads and camps they run? Or the opportunity for kids to play basketball in a number of tournaments against quality opposition? Which are all self funded I might add, so how is this money going to be used for your district child? It wouldn't because it wouldn't exist.

Why knock the work of an organization that gives countless opportunity to kids to better their basketball and enjoy their basketball. Why knock the work of the countless VOLUNTEERS that coach and manage kids in development camps, trainings and tournaments. Without SAC many kids would not have the same opportunity to play as they do now. Relax. Let your child play in the district competition. SAC is not going anywhere, it will continue to develop and grow.

I don't know what your problem is, but your understanding is nothing short of terrible.

Reply #128934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The work being done by SAC could be done and should be done BSA and thats the point

Reply #128940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The essence of it is that SAC are not needed and that BSA could and should run Basketball in this state for all but SAC won't hear of it and are duplicates

Reply #128966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SAC is not going anywhere, it will continue to develop and grow.- Bit of a Contradiction

Reply #128973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time to kill it off, only if we have a governing body capable of doing both, and that has yet to be proven!

Reply #128990 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Yes kill it off! Can we open the Adelaide jail and have a hanging?? Please!!

Reply #128993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

128973 read it again and think about the context buddy.

That is "SAC is not going anywhere", as in it will not be scrapped as people are saying. Not only will it stay but also "it will continue to develop and grow".

Did you fail English too?

Reply #129005 | Report this post

nbs  
Years ago

The real question is - will country kids be looked after with equal rights to equal competition standards, equal funding etc., for development, equal representation at competitions and so on if there is only one peak organisation?
Yes or no?

Reply #129022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#129005, if people are unsure what was said then the english is bad, people shouldn't have to be thinking if it is in 'context' or not.

Reply #129023 | Report this post

wateva  
Years ago

Just a question but what would happen at nationals when we need to provide a country and metro team if SAC was scrapped?

Reply #129030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Given SAC actually HAVE money and are able to MAKE money which they then return BACK to their 15000+ members, perhaps it should be BSA that is scrapped? Ask the country people what they think about their current services - 2 paid staff and a huge number of fantastic volunteers. They are all reaping the benefits of a program that is always looking for ways to expand and cater to its member associations at all levels.

The initial poster - you could have at least done some homework before posting this misinformed nonsense.

Reply #129040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA is the peak body , they should administer both country and metro teams

Reply #129051 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Indeed BSA could and should run Basketball in this state FOR ALL but the reason SACB need to stand up and be counted for the sake of the thousands of kids in this state that don't happen to live metro is because if BSA don't follow the one for all, all for one, then a whole lot of young keen basketballers will lose.
When BSA comes up with an intelligent measured response after open discussions with regional basketball assns on how best to cater for all kids with due considerations to logistics / costs etc., I am sure SACB will be all ears.
We need to be very careful about implementing any strategies that could take kids out of basketball or in fact any sport.

Reply #129060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why duplicate and pay a big salary to another fat cat? BSA could esily run country trials, select teams etc,run the country cup etc, why is their a need for another body to do it?

Reply #129132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"BSA could easily run country trials, select teams etc, run the country cup etc"

BSA barely manage their workload now with the multitude of staff they have in the confines of "SA Metro".

It is all very well to say they could take over Country, but staff would still need to be employed to cover this huge area. Check out Country's website and have a look at just what is happening outside of the Metropolis of Adelaide.

Currently SA Country Basketball have just 2 paid full time employees who in association with the Executive Council look out for the interest of SA Country Basketball. The two paid employees are hardly on what could be described as "Fat Cats wages" when consideration to their workloads, travel and ratio of staff to Members. In contrast to that of their metro counterparts - 5 full time DO's alone, a development manager and a mulitutude of other paid staff.

"They contribute ziltch to district basketball but get all the benefits of our competition."

SA Country have never taken any money from the district competiton or disrtict clubs in their entire history and never will.
It is an individuals decision to come to Adelaide to compete or coach at a club of their choice at District level.
Of course SA Country will benefit, but so does the district competition and so most importantly does the individual. If BSA were to totally take over would the arguement of "country kids" taking "metro kids" spots at district level cease?- of course not.

SA Country have been left out of the loop with BSA for years - it would seem now that they (SAC) are up, running and looking stronger every year, it might pay not to wake a sleeping giant.

Note: Vic Country are under the peak body of Basketball Victoria - although like here in SA, they run their own administration, development and competitions thus keeping their "Country" identity.

Reply #129183 | Report this post

kc4mvp  
Years ago

All good things in SA don't come from Aelaide.
Who went bank rupt many times?

Maybe BSA should look at SAC for guidence

Reply #129214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and spelling.

Reply #129223 | Report this post

hillbilly  
Years ago

"BSA could easily run country"

You have got to be joking - BSA have proven over the past 30 years they are an incompetant rabble. Nothing yet proves any different since the new admin came on board. The same people run the game so chances are pretty high it will go down the previous path.

Start running it as it should be - a business - piss the weak clubs off, get rid of em and then you may find the standard will improve.

Leave country to run their own as with church otherwise we will have one almighty mess that will do irrepairable damage.

Reply #129232 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hillbilly, to much corn liquor. BSA has only been in existence less than 1 year and how exactly would you get rid of foundation clubs?
At different points in time different clubs have been power houses so it would be a brave call to chop heads off on the basis of who are the best clubs now.
Put some names to the accusations of same people-same results forecast?
South Australian basketball needs to grow up and there needs to be a united singular body.
The B S about only SAC being capable of running the country program is rubbish. It has obviously escaped SAC 's notice that we only have one State Government which administers for all south Australians.
I can see no logical reason why BSA should not be the sole peak body for basketball in this state overseeing all forms of basketball and ensuring country basketballers reaches their full potential.
To accuse BSA of having the same faces as BASA and suggesting the same outcomes are likely is a simplistic irrational response and is not the way forward or mindful of the processes in place.
SAC is an organisation that has served country SA basketball well but it has passed its used by date and needs to realise nothing stays the same. The way forward is to put basketball in the entire state above a duplicitous organisation. How often have the faces at SAC and the organisations it represents changed?

Reply #129263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like the above post. Country basketball is falling apart. We need one, State Governing body.

Reply #129297 | Report this post

bones  
Years ago

why not just leave it all up to BA then - is not BSA another duplicitous organisation?

Reply #129304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also agree that SACB should be left in place. It has consistently been on the up, and in some years has beaten the metro team at nationals.
SACB has just come off one of its best years at albury, with 14girls winning and the 14boys runner up. The remainder of the teams were also very competitive.
There are numerous coaches and managers and organisers involved in SACB that care about what they are doing and look after all involved to get the best out of the system.
After years of being considered second best maybe things are starting to even up?

Reply #129317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"notice that we only have one State Government which administers for all South Australians."

Yes they do, and yes, they too have time again forgotten about those who live outside the confines of Adelaide until it comes to crisis point only to offer a band-aid or blanket solution.
In this case BSA's part solution to the multitude of woes left to them by BASA was to entirely take over SAC (who are financially viable), take the money currently allocated to SAC (remembering Office of Rec Sport & BA will only deal with the one body) out of the equasion and put it into theirs, and take the money that is generated by SAC to rescue their own financial disaster left by BASA thus leaving country basketballers with a bare skeleton of the services they currenlty have with SACBC and hoped SAC would just agree,walk away and forget about it. So thank you for that quote, it really does illustrate few really have a true grasp of this issue.
SAC always have and will continue to stand up and be counted. SAC are needed to advocate for basketball in regional SA and (to borrow a phrase) - keep the powers that be "honest" and ensure EVERYONE in SA gets a fair go.

In addition and to further the arguement in favor of keeping SAC - you need to look at the District Clubs who are planning to start Basketball Adelaide and take over the Adelaide based competition. This would be an organisation not unlike SA Country. The formation of Basketball Adelaide was part of the goverment backed, Wayne Jackson led review of basketball after BASA collapsed. Would this also then be a duplication?
We would then have Basketball Adelaide, SA Country & SA Church all under and affiliated with BSA.
If they serve all the needs of their individual basketball comunity with BSA providing support and leadership whats wrong with that.
It works well in other States (eg Victoria).

As for "SAC falling apart" (#129297)- how? You are posting anon' so it shouldn't be too hard to constructively put your point across - if you do indeed have a constructive opinion?

Reply #129318 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you not also posting anon ?

My basis for my statement is simple.

" I like the above post. Country basketball is falling apart. We need one, State Governing body. "

Without giving too much away, i am involved in Country Basketball.

Cliquey groups within Country leagues are ruining the competition. By cliquey, i mean amongst parents, and parents-coaches.

The real fabric, the kids, are suffering because of this. Bad decisions are being made. With money and placement and judgment of kids ability's.

I will say no more in fear of retribution.

Reply #129334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#318, Last time I checked the state government was pouring money into infrastructure aimed at helping our valued country residents. More cabinet meetings have been held in the bush over the past 5 years than any Liberal state gov and yet your still whinging. A glance at last year's budget will give you reassurance of that. You pay the same for a doctor as I do and all rural cities are heavilly, and rightly so, subsidised by the state.
Not surprising a country person slaming an incumbent labour government tho, just ignorant.
Dept of Rec and Sport want one peak body, B A want one peak and BSA are that peak body. SAC fly in the face of that and
refuse to compromise. BSA is not BASA and it is more financial now than SAC and continues to subsidize SAC in countless ways.
Perhaps SAC should look at entering SAC district club given that an ever increasing number of country players are involved in the district competition. How many country players are developed in Adelaide thru their commitment to travel vast distances to get the competition and in some cases training? How many country players have and do enjoy the benefits of SASI? Do you know how many country kids play in the district comp? The overheads for district venues naturally, is entirely a BSA responsibilty. Rec and Sport pick up the tab for SASI? I dont think SAC stick their hand in their pockets for very much at all when it comes to metro/ district but country gets a good deal.
Your point about Basketball Adelaide is flimsy and without foundation as Basketball Adelaide is simply an arm of BSA chartered to administer a specific area. SAC should be within that umbrella but responsible to the peak body.
We all want basketball to grow and country ballers to progress but head in the sand , blame BSA for no rain stuff is so yesterday and so is the need for SAC as anything but an arm of the new peak body for basketball in South Australia, BSA.

Reply #129335 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I will also add 129318, if you are involved in country development, its about time your eyes were opened.

(Mod: Removed. Contentious point.)

BASA had the big broom, its now time to bring in a Street Sweeper for the Country.

Reply #129336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

335, did i mention the Goverment ?

I mentioned grass roots......who looks after all this money. Wake up.

Reply #129338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Removed. Be ready to back up your claims.)

Psychological pressure, reigned down from parents, and coaches. Which damages both player and parent. Ive seen it and i'm no liar.

Its a sad event of affairs, and in 6 years of Junior Basketball, i've seen it slowly, slowly die.

We need a Big Brother, sad that it is.

Reply #129339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#334, My involvement in country basketball was similar. My kids were never quite sure when the ICT development camps were, State trials notices were almost secret and the 'person' running the association had a disproportional amount of power which was wielded often.
Country associations are 'family affairs' and this can and does create conflicts of interest.

Reply #129342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#338,
There , there, dear, yes you did mention them, the state government that is. You said in response to, "notice that we only have one State Government which administers for all South Australians."
Your reply was:
'Yes they do, and yes, they too have time again forgotten about those who live outside the confines of Adelaide until it comes to crisis point only to offer a band-aid or blanket solution.' Mentioned them a fair bit I'd say.
Early dimensia is curable, go to one of the many great state subsidized country hospitals for your prescription.

Reply #129345 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just want to make it known that those alleging corruption and the like might want to be prepared to back that up in court if need be. Pretty serious allegation.

Absolutely trivial for someone to take action, trace you to your ISP and for the ISP to hand over your name and address.

If anyone has posted here and might want to review their post, request that it be removed, etc - be sure to let me know.

Reply #129351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Despite all the comments for and against at the end of the day it will be SA Country's affiliated Associations and members who will decide if they want to come completly under the umbrella of BSA and put their fate in their hands. For 30 odd years SA County will and has always been guided by that and it does not matter what metropolitan people think. At the recent forum held for country members at Wayville there was a clear message during the meeting and after that Country people would still rather look after themselves. There will always be disgruntled people involved in sport who think they speak for the majority and think they know it all as well as critise the organisers because they did not get their way and then hide behind the excuse that they don't wish come forward or give their name through fear of "retribution". What a crock - have the courage to stand up and make your point or contact those people who can take your complaint or issue further.

A further point that needs to be mentioned is that from my understanding SA Country receives no financial assistance from BSA at all, "nor would they want any". If there is I think they would like to know what that is. Perhaps someone can tell me what it is?

With regard to SASI funding I have heard that it mainly comes from Basketball Australia and the Office of Rec & Sport and if you look at the players involved it is very heavily weighted towards metro based players probalbly because for country players to be involved it takes a fair amount of commitment as well as time and money for their parents on top of their normal basketball activities- something the metro based players dont have to worry about as much.

BSA should be thankful & embrace SA Country for the work they do promoting & developing the game regionally were it is a hell of a lot tougher sell than it is within the metro area.

Reply #129353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont worry Issac, no court action threatning here.

So get off your high horse. Just putting my point across, which is real life.

Reply #129360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didnt post that Wanka.

you obviously dont know shit from hey !!

Reply #129361 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Should an individual or organisation make a court request for the identity of a poster over information they deem defamatory or similar, I will be happy to comply. If you're happy to make a case over corruption in court, then obviously all's well.

Reply #129365 | Report this post

mm  
Years ago

Perhaps keep defamation comments quiet - legal action could be taken

Reply #136565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:20 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754