Panther
Years ago

Anger Management 101- Brad Bungey

Can someone get this kid some help, please!!!
From all reports Brad is a decent kid and we all know he can play...But he needs to get some help!
I don't know how many times i've looked at stats and Brad has 6 fouls or has received technical fouls or even ejected! I know what it's like with all those bad refs out there Brad, they used to pick on me too, but techs and ejections is something only you can control!!!
Richard, ring Jack Nicholson cos this kid needs ANGER MANAGEMENT!!!!

Topic #11111 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Ejected along with Chris Clausen for fighting in Eastern vs Centrals over the weekend for those that weren't aware.

Has real potential if he got his temper permanently under control.

Reply #129432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I love the guy, but maybe this is a good example of why players shouldnt get let off lightly all the time by the tribunal.

Good example with Brad going up to the tribunal for giving the finger a few weeks ago... and getting let off scott free.

With a player with his reputation and history maybe a 2 match ban for the finger incident would have showed him the severity of his actions?

Just a thought...

Reply #129433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do agree that there is an issue there- particularly for aspiring juniors that regularly watch aba matches. However, it probably should be noted that opposing teams would be out there to cause a reaction from him. Although this could be considered tactics, it is not the best example of sportsmenship

Reply #129435 | Report this post

Spadge  
Years ago

if u know a guy has a weakness u exploit it its up to him to correct his behaviour also the coachin staff should be doing everything possible to help him u cant blame other teams for taking a good player out of the game its all up to him to get right

Reply #129441 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

Firstly he was ejected for supporting a teammate who was being pushed by Clausen (something teammate Brad Hill would appreciate) secondly he gets the bad end of most calls, I would say because of his rep. Saturday Night he had his singlet and arm pulled on nearly every rebound without a call, he is young and will learn to deal with that as he gets older if he remains in the sport. And lastly this season the ref's have been below a bad standard and use the Tech to get themselves some control, if they were more consistant in the first place they would not be calling any Tech's.

Reply #129442 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe just the refs doing Eastern games? Can only speak for the Sturt vs Eastern game, but no techs though. A lot of charges called and an unsportsmanlike on Vaughan, but he deserved that one (temper foul!).

Reply #129443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lot of techs and fouls in general in west/south game.

19 fouls in first quarter alone.

Techs were very hastily given as well with no real justification.

NOthing worse than egotistical refs, cant even talk to them cos they reckon they are above that too.

Reply #129445 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

I don't think you can go blaming the refs on this one! Looking at all the umpires for Eastern's games they have had extremely experienced and highly ranked umpires doing there games and trust me umpires do not make you get ejected, you put yourself in that situation,(i've stuck up for team mates plenty of times without being thrown out!).
If a game is being called a certain way, you need to be able to adjust, especially when your team relies on you and you offer as much as what Brad does to the Mavs.

Reply #129446 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Kenny Smyth #129442, if you were switched on, you would realise that tech fouls are in the ABA points of emphasis this season.

It is going to be a while before players and coaches alike realise that they will have to draw the line shorter at their behaviour.

Reply #129447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i was at the south/west game. The refs were all for calling techs and charges but they were not seriously watching the game (ie pushing, hacking etc on big men under the ring). they were quick to call tech's for next to nothing for one team but when a certain player from the other team used the F*word in every sentence there was nothing done. the refs need to pay more attention under the ring in all games as the big guys get hacked to pieces and they tell the umps where to go.

Reply #129448 | Report this post

Big Three  
Years ago

Does someone have stats on how many tech fouls this season so far?

for each team/player/coach?

I would say Eastern may be no 1

Reply #129453 | Report this post

qwerty  
Years ago

I disagree re South/West game. I thought they did a good job to keep a lid on what is always a firey contest. It was pretty obvious early in the game what would be tolerated and what would not. Players and coaches need to adjust accordingly.

Reply #129454 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Do reports and tribunal news get put on the ABA website?

Reply #129455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad is a decent guy but the anger and personal frustrations which have manifested into norm behaviour since he was a kid are not doing him any favours.
Richard ring Port - they seemed to have got the right help for Brogan.
IMO Brad has the potential to be NBL if AND ONLY if he gets help now to learn to change his behaviour but Brad needs to stop fighting the fact and accept that he does need help. Good luck Brad.

Reply #129459 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yeah back to the topic people's!!! This isn't about west v south or umpire's, this is about a young bloke with a temper problem!
How would people feel if Brad ended up punching a player or worse yet, an umpire! Brad get's suspended for a long time, if not for life and his playing career is down the gurgler!

Reply #129462 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

It being a point of emphasis yes however giving a tech for an emotion well they were told it depended on how far it went. If a coach gets straight away for an emotion (its quick and no swearing) like "what about that". Then that is just an ego trip for the ref's and there are a lot of them like that at the moment! All parties need to realise they are accountable (coaches, players, ref's)not just 2 of 3 groups. It's about time the evaluators made these people accountable instead of being soft. Also about time coaches and players shut up and got on with the game.

Reply #129466 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

"Kenny Smyth #129442, if you were switched on, you would realise that tech fouls are in the ABA points of emphasis this season"

So the point of emphasis is to GIVE more Tech fouls, if thats a point of emphasis the ref's along with basketball in SA have lost the plot.

One other thing worth a mention from Saturday night's game, it will be the last time Eastern will be travelling out the Starplex.

Reply #129469 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Why is that?

Reply #129470 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Firstly Chris Clausen was not "fighting" he got a fairly innocuous foul (there were many worse(even deliberate looking fouls on the night) and Brad decided to get right in Chris' face,bodying and pushing him. A gentle push by Chris against someone "in his face" for little reason is hardly what I'd call fighting.

Bungey was protecting the keyway during the game and after he left the the Lions guards had some success driving to the basket.

It never helps Eastern when he gets ejected at crucial stages of a game when they still have a good chance of winning.

He could be a great player, for his own benefit and future he needs better control.

Reply #129478 | Report this post

Chicks Ball Rocks  
Years ago

Maybe this needs a thread in it's own right however it needs to be said that regardless of the points of emphasis, Tech fouls should not be an excuse to bully the players with the whistle.

Having said that I think Brad should be controled by his coach because he has not improved in a long time at the club.

Also Aba umpires who coach should also have a look at there attitude as I can think of one official who has demonstrated very poor behavior towards a junior umpire recently.

Pull your head in or the umpires will and should pull it in for you.

Reply #129496 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

Panther
Because Centrals will not have a womens team next year. No women No men No Centrals

Remember the Riverland!!!!!

Reply #129531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny, Centrals is not the Riverland. You may be right you may wrong but unlike Eastern (who is ONLY an affiliate club), Centrals is a member club so if that time comes then I think the rules may be changed. Unlike if this was to happen to Eastern who was beaten by Centrals on Saturday BTW.

Reply #129540 | Report this post

Dennis Traeger  
Years ago

Kenny Smyth,

What the?

Your comment has nothing to do with this thread & is illinformed.I will however have to reply.

Centrals have some good young players on the way up (I believe with the good atmosphere in the club now they wont be poached like many in the past).

We have just formed another U12 boys team,due to the number of new boys coming out to practices, have almost repaid the huge BASA debt, have a plan and a hard working committee working on the womens ABA team and promoting girls basketball,will be working on all sorts of projects to get juniors playing in the northern suburbs, have just got some great sponsors for 3 years which will alllow us to appoint a paid JDO etc etc.

Regular coaches training is being held every Tuesday night with the assistance of Ricky and Dan.

We have had little support for years from BASA to help increase the Basketball profile in schools etc up here,but have received good news recently in this area with a number of schools being visited next term.

Reply #129541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dennis - may take a little while til those u12's can help stock your senior squad. But full marks for looking at the glass as if it were half full!

Reply #129548 | Report this post

Kenny Smyth  
Years ago

Dennis
Granted the men's side of Centrals is running well but that is not the problem. Centrals had the basis of a good womens program last year but then everything turned pearshaped (failure to sign key players before the end of last season and the non support of the Committee of the Womens program over many years, Ricky maybe the golden goose but he did not lay the golden egg on the womens program). The big question is can Centrals raise the support to field a womens ABA team, my opinon is no they can't, sponsorship or no sponsorship too much old school thinking.

Reply #129574 | Report this post

Clark Kent  
Years ago

If Centrals fail to field a Women's ABL side why does that mean they can't continue to field a men's team?

Reply #129576 | Report this post

Rhythm Willie  
Years ago

Potential ABA Women will begin training shortly.

Don't forget the club was insolvent in October 2005 and could have easily folded. The fact it has made such good progress since then is a reflection of the hard work of many people old and new.

Not actually having signatures on paper was a hard lesson learnt I presume.

Reply #129592 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Kenny,

SA doesn't invent the ABA points of emphasis, they are created at a national level for all ABA competitions and I believe the SBL in WA and DBL in NT also adopt the same POE. This way, the ABA is achieving its purpose

The changes in relation to player behaviour came from the NBL panel last year, which consist of retired players, coaches and 1 Referee.

Reply #129604 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

I am still surprised that people at Eastern Hills haven't pulled up his behaviour as of yet.

I remember Brad getting fouled out at a junior country carnival with his 3rd foul being a push in a rebound situation, then dropping the F bomb at the ref, and then telling the ref what he thought of him.

As everybody has said, Brad has a lot of potential...and that is undeniable. But the last thing we need is for another up-and-coming player in this state to have their career cut short either by lengthy suspensions or coaches being afraid to pick him up in their team just in case he goes into his "loose cannon" persona!

Reply #129621 | Report this post

South East  
Years ago

is brad bungey the new pero vasiljevic?????

Reply #129629 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I don't recall Pero getting in regular foul trouble when he played for Forestville. Always seemed to just do his thing. Carries a couple of infamous stories about his past, but in recent ABL/NBL stints, I haven't heard of anything to imply that he has a significant issue with his temper.

Reply #129632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South East, what are you on about?

I cannot recall Pero ever having serious problems with referees.

Another useless post by someone...

Reply #129634 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Kenny smyth#129469,
The ABA points of emphasis apply to all ABA competitions is australia and are actually the same document as the 2006/07 NBL P.O.E

Agreed #129604.
And Matt Ryan, you always have something good to say. Agreed.

Reply #129668 | Report this post

Out of Bounds  
Years ago

FM is on the money, the points of emphasis are nation wide, adopted from the NBL.

And it is worth repeating - these points of emphasis weren't designed by referees/evaluators... It was created by NBL Hall of Famers and ex-Australian International Rep's.

So next time you get a tech for over-reacting, don't blame the referee - think about blaming the likes of Andrew and Lindsay Gaze.

Reply #129671 | Report this post

Fill Smythe  
Years ago

Having been on the score bench several times V Eastern, one would have to ask if B.B. isn't just emulating his coach

Reply #129777 | Report this post

Rule Guru  
Years ago

Even the NBA has strengthened its attitude towards player reaction to officials calls. This happened at a similar time that the NBL games committee was formulating the NBL points of emphasis for 2006/7.

Officials are fined in the NBA for failing to take action against players. Derisive laughter has even been called as a Technical Foul

Reply #129805 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Once again the Bungemeister gets fouled out in 20 minutes of play and has 14 points and 8 rebounds...imagine what he could do if he played 48 minutes!!!
Anyone know why he didn't play against West???

Reply #130633 | Report this post

Jenny Crane  
Years ago

Panther, I was wondering that myself..?

Reply #130650 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Have been out of the office all week, but couldn't let The Bungemeister's game go unnoticed from last week...26pts @ 69%, 14Rebs, 3blks and only 2 fouls!!! Hopefully none of these were Technical fouls!!! All in 36 minutes which would have to rank higly in minutes played for Brad. Good job big fella, just don't repeat that effort this week against my beloved Panthers!!!

Reply #132379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Valium laced drink bottle. :P

Reply #132393 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

"Agreed #129604.
And Matt Ryan, you always have something good to say. Agreed."

Cheers, Neptuneboy!

Reply #134753 | Report this post

modesto madrigal  
Years ago

why are we so angry what the fuk are yall talkin bout we r just being our selves

Reply #135256 | Report this post

modesto madrigal  
Years ago

why are we so angry what the fuk are yall talkin bout we r just being our selves

Reply #135257 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:47 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754