Rule Book
Years ago

Rule Clarification Sought

There was a situation on the weekend where the ball was advanced to the half way line after a time out inside the last two minutes. I was wondering what determines which side the ball is inbounded from. It seems to always be opposite the score bench. DOes it have to be this way or can the team choose which side they want to inbound from. I was just thinking that it may have an effect on the play that is set up depending on which side certain players/shooters prefer to be turning.

Topic #11113 | Report this topic

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

It will always be the opposite side to the score bench. All the side balls which have now replaced 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 time jump balls are opposite the score bench, as well as side balls resulting from technical & unsportsmanlike fouls.

Teams don't get a choice.

Reply #129474 | Report this post

woodville's div 3 men were hurt with this rule, an intelligent timeout called with 7 seconds left resulted in the ball being passed in from the other foul line, not the half way line, like it is meant to be. when i asked the referee after the game as to why, he replied 'it doesn't matter'.

refs huh.

Reply #129502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ELG if it was an intelligent timeout the team themselves should have been lined up at the half court line for the ball.

Reply #129503 | Report this post

not when the ref was standing at the foul line extended.

but of course you were there so you saw it happen so it must of been our fault

Reply #129544 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Well it doesn't matter. The siren has gone, the game is over, and the wrong place for a throw-in is not a correctable error.

What can the referee do now, even if they know they have made a mistake? The answer is nothing!

Reply #129575 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

I have another rule that I'd like some clarification on. It seems to be different from game to game. I'm referring to when the ball goes over the top of the backboard on a missed shot. Is this out of bounds, or does it have to touch part of the fixture to be considered out of bounds? It seems that different referrees have different interpretations on this one.

Reply #129581 | Report this post

Out of Bounds  
Years ago

The ball is deemed to be out of bounds when it touches something or someone that is on or over the line.

There is no violation of passing the ball over the backboard.

It is a violation if the ball comes in contact with the supports of the backboard, 24 sec clock or the back of the backboard.

And to clarify - it is not a violation for the ball to hit the bottom, side or top of the backboard.

Reply #129585 | Report this post

TP  
Years ago

Cheers. Can we put that on a poster and hang it at each stadium ;)

Reply #129586 | Report this post

Out of Bounds  
Years ago

Quote the rule book not from a post on Hoops.

Reply #129670 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:47 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754