Tony Hawks
Years ago

155 days until we suck again.

I am sorry and this is more than likely the 1,000,000 thread on this topic already this off season but with only 155 days until the new NBL season tips off and every other club signing player we have only signed one good player and one bunchy.

Why wont Phil Smyth and the Adelaide 36ers come out and announce anything like a glamour signing.

Brad Davidson is a good solid NBL player but in reality we already have 2 of those in Darren Ng and Matt Sutton, we don't need any more. Adam Ballenger's 20 points, 10 rebounds and his intangible experience on the court will help but that leaves us with 2 star players (Maher and Ballenger) and a bunch of good solid bench players.

The odds are very low that either of Brad Newley or Luke Schenscher will be playing in the NBL next season so I hope the Sixer are not wasting valuable time hoping like hell they sign a contract. That just stupid and the club should know this. If Phil Smyth doesn't want to coach any ore, give up now. If he still has passion for the job and wants to put in the hard yards to succeed; he should start looking for some viable options.

I am going to mighty pissed off if Copeland start at small forward and we have not managed to recruit anyone of quality, if we start the season with the same bunch of hacks we had last year who could not put in any effort at all we sho8uld demand out money back.

155 days until the season tips off and I bet it will be under 10 before we announce who the second import is and any other significant signing.

Even if Phil is sacked and Ninnis takes over, all the good kids are gone. Use the Sixer web site to give us some information on who is a possibility

Topic #11115 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

The web site can't report on who they're talking to or options. I can post official releases on the site or pass on Boti's speculation, but the club is not allowed to do more than that. Even posting Boti's quotes is potentially a grey area?

Same situation for the Wildcats and Taipans, for example - neither of their sites have signing news on the front door.

I agree that they're in a tough position, but remember that they have one import spot left. Could get a SF and start Coops again and that won't be totally horrible. Copeland would be hardly a signing that all fans will love, but it's a spark off the bench.

Still need a big signing. A Dench might help a bit, but they'd be treading water for 2008/09 I reckon.

Reply #129482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are a lot of other teams that need to improve who haven't announced much in the way of signings too!

Reply #129485 | Report this post

Tony Hawks  
Years ago

So because other club have not announced any positive signing make it ok? The best form of defence is to go on the offensive.

The sixer have just potentially had there worse season in the history of the club and the supporter and any new supporter need some good news to get us excited about the up and coming season.

If you were looking at becoming a new season ticket holder (16th of April 2007) for the Adelaide 36ers, there is no motivation to sign up.

Reply #129490 | Report this post

Tony Hawks  
Years ago

Add on from ^^^^

If you were looking at becoming a new season ticket holder (16th of April 2007) or potentially renewing your season ticket for the Adelaide 36ers, there is no motivation to do so.

Reply #129492 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Another negative topic about the Sixers...cool.

Give it a rest, they cannot announce a marquee signing....until there is one to announce. Not exactly rocket science is it??

Here is your motivation...we can only go up from where we finished..if you don't want to buy a season ticket...then don't.

Reply #129495 | Report this post

My theory is that a new team in the league making 2 in the past 2 seasons means we dont need to go 10 deep anymore.

There is only a certain pool of NBL talent to draw from, the rare Ingles talent and a bunch of development players that clubs can work on to round out a squad.

2 new teams means 15-20 less players of experience to draw on available as those rosters are needing to be filled.

I will say that teams that did not go 8 deep last year. ( exclude all but Bris and Tigers) will all struggle to fill spots as players like Scott Mc are able to field offers from 3/4 teams. Abney is able to stretch his value by shopping around as is Newley.

Bris and Tigers have a huge advantage as they have locked in players to leave in spots with a few minor tweaks if a player like Black vacates a spot.

Recruiting college talent is all important now as it will give you that Worthington out of the box level of player rather than a Ng / Sutton who needs a few years to get up to speed.

Money is the answer to deep squads as we will see when the free agents of note are all signed up to the "cap friendly" teams.

If we can put a squad of 7 decent names together built around Maher and Bllinger and it gels you will lock in a top 4 finish behind the afore mentioned IMO.

Reply #129504 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You're forgetting Cairns, who could feasibly get:

Mee/Cook
Black/Grabau
Cattalini/Boodnikoff
Import/Jawai
Abney/Smith

All contributors.

And Sydney, who could suit:

Import/Kendall
Smith/Carter
Saville/Tovey
Worthington/Hinder
Import/Crosswhite

That's three Boomers and two imports in the starting five, then two Boomers off the bench. Every player on that roster can contribute.

Next rung down are the Dragons:

Heal/Martin
Groves/Hill
Holmes/Ingles
Horvath/Hobba
Import/?

Everyone else is a step behind, IMO.

Hawks, Pigs and Singapore are an entire staircase behind.

Reply #129505 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Is Saville to Kings official?

Reply #129513 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not "official" in that it's not yet announced by the club or the league, but I'd stake lots of money on it.

Reply #129517 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Hmmmm - I know there is one club that would take you up on that bet...

I know where I hope he ends up and its NOT Sydney - Ill keep hoping! LOL

Reply #129520 | Report this post

Sensation  
Years ago

Boring negative Sixers post...how original! Getting sick of all the 'frustrated coaches'. Great topic to start Tony Hawks

Reply #129529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agree what's taking them so long to announce signings?

surely the old players that the Sixers usually target wouldn't be getting that many offers from other clubs!

Reply #129556 | Report this post

Tony Hawks  
Years ago

Only 154 days - Why won't the Sixer just come out and announce that they have a major signing boom and re signed Brett Wheeler, Marcus Timmons and Paris McCurdy.

Only 154 days left.

Reply #129676 | Report this post

SVD  
Years ago

What is Flight LT 44 up to ???

Reply #129698 | Report this post

Tony Hawks  
Years ago

Sorry but 153 days now.....tick...tick....tick....Boom.

Game over.

Reply #129827 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:50 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754