S
Years ago

BSA Scoring Penalties

In a game earlier this week our opposition didn't have one of their scorers present.
Under the new BSA rules a 20 point penalty applies to teams without scorers. This replaces the old fine system. Personally I think this is an excellent idea and a fantastic incentive for teams, and BSA should be congratulated on this incentive.
By all accounts (via an email sent out by BSA) it is the referees responsibility to implement this at the end of the first quarter.
In our game, the referees didn't undertake this at quarter time, and only remembered when prompted by our team at the end of the match. However BSA have said that the result will stand and that no points will be awarded as they weren't done at 1/4 time as they should be.
Incidentally, this was a drawn game, and as such the 20 points will clearly make a great difference to the result.
What are people's thoughts on this? I would be interested to find out if any other clubs have had any issues with this, or if all other instances have been completed at 1/4 time as instructed.
It seems a little unfair on teams like us (and any future occurrences) that BSA who are responsible for the referees and their actions (as their employer) are unable to implement their own by-law

Topic #11151 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't you bring it to the attention of the referee before the game, during the 1st quarter or at quarter time?

Reply #130009 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Why do teams have bring it to the ref's attention? They are quick on techs and and other rules why can't they just give it? Why does everything fall back on the teams? The ref's should take control not just on what they think but every rule and bylaw!

Reply #130012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's often a pain to have to point out that a team isnt providing a scorer or incorrect uniform is being worn at any level of the game.

If they are going to introdue penalty points than I feel the ref's should be in charge of awarding these at 1/4 or 1/2 time and the team should be allowed to approach the ref's up until the end of the game incase the ref forgets.
However bringing it up AFTER the ref's have signed of on the score sheet won't get you anywhere.

Reply #130014 | Report this post

Big Kahuna  
Years ago

Yes I agree with that comment Anon and if that has what happened then it is the teams fault. Don't complain just to alter the game just because you lost or it was a draw. What would they had done if they had won? I think nothing would have been put on here in the first place.

Reply #130016 | Report this post

S  
Years ago

BSA's email out to clubs didn't say that referees must be alerted to the fact that there is one less scorer.... (its a fairly obvious thing to see) it said that at 1/4 time referees WILL add the points to the scoresheet. It shouldnt be up to a coach or player, its not their function in the game.
There was never any hassles with a scoring fine being administered by the referee, we saw our share of those, why should this differ?

Reply #130019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because humans are a species of habit. Give them something new and they don't necessarily do it by instinct. Humans also tend to be imperfect and make mistakes or forget to do everything they should/could.

But that's ok 'S' I'm sure you've never forgotten to do anything ever in your life.

Reply #130023 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

I think if a team plays with an incorrect uniform or without a score, that team knows they are breaking the rules and the penalty is.....

Therefore why does it matter if it is done at 1/4 time 1/2 time or at the end of the game?

Before anybody complains that the team must know they have been penalised so they have a chance to do something about it, how about they just wear correct uniform or provide a scorer and there would be no problem in the first place.

Reply #130024 | Report this post

Neptuneboy  
Years ago

Unless the opposite team questions it or brings up the subject before the start of Quarter no. 2, forget about it.

Reply #130032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My point is if they are that worried that the ref didnt do it, why wasnt the team/player worried enough to bring it up on the night at the game?

The point of a referee to sign off on a score sheet is to make it final/official/done. Sure its the ref job to assign penalty points, but IF they dont than it is up to the team to question why they havnt.

It's your employers job to pay YOU but if they dont would you question it straight away - of course you would!

Reply #130076 | Report this post

h0bb1t  
Years ago

at the end of the day... u wernt good enough to win... and neither was the other team...

bottom line...

GET OVER IT

Reply #130329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did you wait till the end of the game to bring it to the refs' attention? Yes, the refs should have done their job properly and applied the by-law at 1/4 time, but if you knew about the by-law yourselves and it came to 1/4 time and nothing happened to the score, why didn't you raise it then???

Reply #130337 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:51 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754