Anonymous
Years ago

Vic Metro U16 the team to beat??

Vic Metro have announced their teams for the U16 national championships.

Are they the team to beat again??

Topic #11155 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Metro, NSW Metro SA Metro will all have a huge say. Vic Country always sneak under everyones radar but if you check the previous winners lists, Vic Country have made many, many Championship games.

WA Metro ...

Reply #130063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

History means nothing the teams change every year. Hell, SA country made the gold medal game in 2003.

On what info do you rate WA Metro the team to beat.

Reply #130074 | Report this post

shauno  
Years ago

team list for vic metro?

Reply #130077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

History must mean something if the coaches roll out teams that make the championship games each year !!!Even with different kids. Their programmes must be working.

WA Metro kids do not fear anyone as in Vic Metro, Country etc... They are fundamentlly sound, work hard for their coach and continually roll out good shooters and bigs.

Reply #130091 | Report this post

Fo'Real  
Years ago

History of success might have something to do with population and participation bases too!

Reply #130159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Preperation my dear freind, Health of the kids during the week, and lots of luck !!!!!

Reply #130252 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is a number of factors that add up to a successful tournament, no doubt about it.

HOWEVER

The Vic Metro group that is posted on their web site looks very strong. At this stage they look like a BIG chance.

The group of players that played last year has nothing to do with this group of players in any way. History does not matter when it comes to winning it. History may provide an indicator due to many factors but can never predict a winner.

Reply #130462 | Report this post

Mumps  
Years ago

One factor why Vic is ahead of the pack is that they bond earlier and train as a team earlier, up to three or four weeks ahead of SA. The SA squad is full of talent and the best ten have the potential to do well if they improve their ball security and cut out the number of turn overs. Good uck guys.

Reply #130486 | Report this post

Mumps  
Years ago

Sorry, Good luck !

Reply #130487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro try outs began after SA Metro,

They have only had their second session as a team last week.

Reply #130519 | Report this post

mumps  
Years ago

#519,
They posted their team on the 16th of the April. SA won't pick their team until the week after the State champs which is a further 2 weeks away, which means Vic will have trained as a team for 4 weeks more than the SA team.
Regarding try outs starting later in Vic than SA. This further highlights the ridiculous length of time SA take to pick teams. Almost 3 months is way, way too long.

Reply #130551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mumps, I take the point you are highlighting. Vic posted the team, and didn't train for two weeks due to the Norwood tournament, travel to and from and club committments.

Anyhow, I have no doubt SA coaches know what they are doing, otherwise they would have picked it by now.

Reply #130559 | Report this post

mumps  
Years ago

This is not an anti coaches thing at all and I'm sure the coaches here are great, just I think we could learn a lot from the Vics and there successes at Nationals. If they can pick teams with more to choose from in less time it may be time to follow suit.

Reply #130592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pfft - yeah the Vics totally dominated the U18s last year at Wayville....

Reply #130621 | Report this post

Mumps  
Years ago

We didn't dominate in the 18's either and played above the teams potential but I guess your point is we don't need to learn anything from old enemies.
Putting a team together early has a lot of positives and after 8 weeks I think most coaches could name a team.
Seems like it has always been done this way and always will
but that doesn't mean it's the best way.
Have a look at the National's results over the last 10 years.

Reply #130835 | Report this post

Melbourne man  
Years ago

Happy to take wagers on the vics winning - will give 10 points in.

WA second and NSW or Qld for third.
SA bigs outside of 6'7' kid no good. Even big kid has soft hands from what we saw at easter.

SA guards / forwards are too small and way too self centered from what we saw. Individuals don't win champs.

Reply #130841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big talk there MM, Vic Country to surprise all,

WA ???

Reply #130844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who/what does Vic Country have??

Reply #130846 | Report this post

mumps  
Years ago

Sheep.

Reply #130849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 846,

Balls and a coach.

Reply #130986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it the same coach?

Do you know much of their talent this year?

Reply #131007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup, it is the same coach - Jamie something from Geelong.

Reply #131012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I do. They have some great
"horses "in that team.

1-1 is 1 player and 2-2 is 1 2. 1-1 made 1 state team 1 day and 2-2 made 1 2.

Reply #131015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice work 015, No problems working out the " Magic" Numbers during the week then !!!

Reply #131023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wouldnt count sa metro out yet their team seems quite good melbourne man

Reply #131185 | Report this post

melbourne man  
Years ago

We are obviously looking at a different group of kids if u think SA ok - each to thier own , good to support your group.

Reply #131203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Draw is out!!

SA Metro have ACT, NSW Metro, NT, Qld North, Vic Country and WA Metro.

Play NT first up and should get a big win.

WOW that is a tough pool. Looks much tough than SA Country Pool with NSW Country, New Zealand, Qld South, Tasmaina, Vic Metro and WA Country.

Early tip??

Vic Metro and Qld South to win their pool

Wa Metro and SA Metro to win theirs

Vic Metro-WA Metro final

Vic Metro win.

Reply #131207 | Report this post

mumps  
Years ago

SA will have a tough job to finish top of that pool but if they do, it would set them up to medal. Not sure they have the fire power but I hope I'm wrong and as I've said before if the coach can improve the ball security and turn overs they may just show us all.

Reply #131217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

melbourne man by any chance is your son in the vic metro team?

Reply #131375 | Report this post

Melbourne man  
Years ago

Vic metro and Qls south to get through their pool, WA metro and Vic Country to go through from other pool - SA to play off between 5-8. You should beat Qld Nth, NT, ACT and possible NSW metro. Wont beat VC or WAM.

No my kid don't play. _ I just watch a lot of junior bball all over australia and know my stuff.

See how close I am.

Reply #131521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic Metro get the star biling
from past performances, WA metro, no one ever sees, Vic Country rely on Cntry Cup, Qld always talk themselves up, SA metro always get stashed on. Who know s who will win, it is all here say and speculation.

I say NSW Metro to take it all !!!!!

Reply #131527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look out for joshua flink vic metro u/16 boys he'll kick ass

Reply #132802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is so good about Joshua Flink? Who does he play for?

Reply #132819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plays for Kilsyth. 6'6". Will be one of 4 bigs for Vic Metro.

Reply #132844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, thats Sinclair.

Fink is a quick shooting guard.

Reply #132848 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754