D16
Years ago

Australia v New Zealand - August Series

"FIBA Oceania have announced that the FIBA Oceania Championship for Men will be played in a best-of-three series between Australia and New Zealand in August 2007. Starting in Brisbane on August 20, visiting Sydney and then concluding in Melbourne on August 24, the best-of-three series winner will progress directly to the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games as Oceania's representative, with the runner-up to progress to the FIBA Olympic Qualifying tournament. "

Why is it that Adelaide, which has had the highest, continuous level of crowd support still not able to attract a Boomers Game? Melbourne had one last year, Sydney had one two years ago and the crowd was a flop. What would it take to attract the Boomers here?

Topic #11172 | Report this topic

TP  
Years ago

If we lose this series, will it finally see the end of Goorjian as Boomers coach? Not that I want them to lose.

(Another suggestion for Hoops bingo - sack Goorjian as Boomers coach)

Reply #130187 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Perhaps if we had more at our allstar game ,we may attract these type of games. Disappointing as these series are usually pretty good.

Reply #130196 | Report this post

D16  
Years ago

Also it should be noted that it is no longer a 4 game series but now a three game series. Has it been changed after the debacle last year where we ended up loosing on a points spread?

Reply #130211 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd assume it's three games as it is an official qualifying tournament? Last year was nothing more than a warm-up event to the World's, while this year it's the Ocenia qualifying series.

Reply #130217 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

To be honest, it would take a larger population. Not likely. Best of 3 with 2 games at home should suit us better but you never know. On there day the Kiwis can play, let's hope our team gels in time. Goorj knocking has started has it. He deserves his coaching position at the moment. Best coach Australia ever had? (Smyth, Gaze)Could be a good thread for another topic.

Reply #130264 | Report this post

Johno  
Years ago

Will the game be shown on tv ,do you think

Reply #130274 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Goorj = Best coach Australia ever had, NOT *(##ING LIKELY......

Give me Gaze Snr anytime over Goorj at the international level. At least we know Gaze Snr can count and knows how to use a timeout. Gaze Snr also understands the international game a lot better than Goorj. I would of loved to see Gaze Snr have the talent on his squad that Goorj has (and IMO opinion wasted) over the past few years.

Reply #130276 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Who cares if Adelaide is fairly small, the crowds here have been better than anywhere else and Sydney's crowds have been absolutely dismal. We really deserve a Boomers game.

I reckon the games will probably be covered by fox but I really hope free tv coveres it (fat chance though).

Reply #130442 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

I didn't mean Goorj was best ever coach. LOL... I was just asking the question who does everything think is best ever coach.. Your right Goorj has all this talent at his disposal and i'm left scratching my head sometimes at his tactics, who he picks on his team and who he puts on the floor.

Reply #130566 | Report this post

David K  
Years ago

We as a country still don't play enough on the international level, we should be playing more games and organising a better program than we do currently. Prior to the August series we should try and have a few warm up games with other countries to give us the edge. Best thing that could happen is that we lose series and then play more games to qualify. If we can't play international teams, perhaps we could have an East vs West or North Vs South match. That way we could see some interesting match ups and the final team can be culled down.

Reply #130708 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:57 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754